twinkle in your eye

everything u do, i do adore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Walking over to the vanity, Seungkwan decided to start his work by styling Seokmin. The said member was warming up his voice, sat on one of the seven chairs lining the long table; a huge mirror in front of him which showcased his reflection.

He had talked a bit to Jeonghan a few minutes before for some guidance and advice on what to do for the hair and makeup of the members he’s assigned to. After all, Seungkwan was new to the team. He wasn’t completely sure if they had a style going on, hell, he didn’t even know the song they were promoting.

Was the band going for a cutesy style? A natural, yet cool school boy look? Or an angsty, dark concept?

Needless to say, Seungkwan was just completely clueless on what to do.

“Just do a natural look,” Jeonghan had replied with a hair straightener in hand, styling Seungcheol’s platinum coloured hair into a quiff. “They’re going for that pure rookie vibe.” He had smiled briefly at Seungkwan, before reprimanding Seungcheol for scratching lightly at his nose. “You’ll ruin the foundation!” He had hissed, though his voice was still soft like honey.

Seungkwan opened his mouth to ask about what makeup he’s supposed to use, as he didn’t bring a kit with him. Usually, the makeup artists would already come equipped with their own supplies; that is, if they work for a salon. Sadly, in Seungkwan’s case, he wasn’t.

Yet before he could ask the question which resided at the tip of his tongue, as if sensing his worry and confusion, Jeonghan looked back at him once more with a small smile. “Don’t worry, you can use the makeup we have.” He nodded his head towards the pile of products set on the long vanity table.

Relieved, Seungkwan then gave Jeonghan a small smile, a “Thank you.” slipping out of his mouth.

Seungkwan then took a small breath. Thankfully, he didn’t need to worry much about what Seokmin and Hansol were going to wear. Jihoon had explained that the old stylist had already prepared the clothes for their stage, which were hanging on the clothing racks by the wall.

He just needed to do Hansol and Seokmin’s makeup; at least, for now. Seungkwan hoped that once he actually signs an official contract with Pledis, that he’ll be able to be the one who picks out the band’s individual outfits.

Because to be frank, the old stylist’s choice of clothes was questionable— to say the least. Seungkwan shook his head as he stared, disappointed, at the bland colours of the clothes he had no choice but to put Hansol and Seokmin in.

He was going to ask Minghao for his advice too, yet the stylist was clearly busy doing Mingyu’s makeup over there at the far side of the room. They appeared to be bickering over something, and Minghao looked down right murderous, so Seungkwan picked the higher ground and let them be.

Not wanting to bother anyone else and waste any more time, Seungkwan clutched Jeonghan’s words tightly in his heart as he walked up to Seokmin.

The said member sat on one of the chairs positioned towards the vanity, the light bulbs framing the mirror illuminating his lightly tanned skin. Seungkwan scanned the ridiculous amount of makeup set onto the tables attached to the mirror, smiling a bit to himself with excitement.

He walked up to the singer, whose mouth curled up a bit to give him a small smile as he instantly stopped warming up his voice upon seeing Seungkwan.

However, it wasn’t the smile he had shown Seungkwan a while ago when he met him; the one with genuine happiness. It seemed like he was hiding something, if the way he fidgeted with his fingers and the way he bit his lips was enough evidence. Something was clearly bothering him.

Seungkwan didn’t want to pry, it wasn’t his business after all, but he never really liked seeing people dealing with a burden all by themselves.

He had met Seokmin for less than an hour, but that didn’t stop Seungkwan from treating him like he would with an old friend.

Grabbing a soft cotton pad and putting some Etude House Soon Jung pH toner on it, he started applying it onto Seokmin’s skin to thoroughly cleanse and prepare it for the makeup he’s going to be applying after.

Seungkwan cleared his throat a bit, clearing the heavy atmosphere and breaking the silence. “You seem worried about something…” He started, continuing to clean Seokmin’s skin with the toner. “Wanna talk about it?”

Seokmin’s eyes widened a bit at Seungkwan, completely taken aback at his sudden question.

Seeing his startled expression, Seungkwan was quickly about to take back what he had said.  A “Nevermind.” or something along the lines of “It isn’t my business, sorry for asking.” was ready to come out of Seungkwan’s lips, before the singer in front of him let out a long held sigh; nibbling his bottom lip even more.

“It’s just that…” He started, staring straight at the mirror. His skin glowed as Seungkwan started putting some moisturizer on it, spreading it evenly with a makeup brush. “What if I mess up the performance? What if my voice cracks…  or I mess up the choreography and everyone notices?”

Seungkwan stopped moving his hands as he looked at Seokmin, who stared back at him with anxiety clear in his eyes. Seungkwan took a small breath to form a reply back.

He hadn’t been acquaintances with Seokmin for a long time. Hell, he’d just met the singer a few minutes ago; yet the worry in the other’s eyes made Seungkwan’s heart ache at the sight.

It was evident that he was carrying a burden on his shoulders which he hasn’t shared with anyone else except Seungkwan, someone he’d known for a millisecond compared to his bandmates or the other staff.

Truthfully, Seungkwan was grateful that Seokmin trusted him enough in the few minutes they’ve known each other to let his personal worries out to him.

Seungkwan took a small minute to think about what to say, choosing his words carefully in his head to express himself and his thoughts the best he could.

“I know… that you guys are still rookies,” He finally started, he turned his back and grabbed a skin illuminator from the pile of makeup to put on Seokmin’s skin so the finish would end up looking dewy.

He poured a bit onto the metal makeup palette he had on his left hand, loading a flat makeup brush he had grabbed from the array on the table with the product.

“But you have to remember, among all the other rookies, you and the other guys were chosen to debut.” He added, unintentionally avoiding the singer’s eyes, focusing instead on evenly spreading the illuminator onto Seokmin’s skin.

“You were picked from a huge lot of people, doesn’t that say enough about your abilities?”

Seungkwan continued blending out the illuminator. From the corners of his eyes, he sees Seokmin staring intently at his own lap; playing with his hands and twirling them together as his adam’s apple bobbed up and down.

“Plus, I’ve literally met you for ten minutes,” Seungkwan continued, now with VDL foundation on his makeup palette. He brushes the coloured liquid onto Seokmin’s face with the same brush he had used for the illuminator, blending it out after with a soft sponge. “And I’ve heard you sing and practice for even less than that. Trust me, even Beyoncé-sunbaenim would be proud.”

Seokmin snorted a laugh at Seungkwan’s comment.

Seungkwan couldn’t help the smile that crept onto his face upon being able to make Seokmin’s mood lighten.

“You’ll do well, I’m sure.” The makeup artist concluded his little pep talk, now setting the makeup he had put on with a powder puff.

“Thanks…” Seokmin replied, a smile now clear on his features. He didn’t seem as anxious as he did a few moments ago now. “I’ll try and do my best, then.” He added, hands now resting comfortably on his lap and no longer fiddling with one another.

Seungkwan let out an extra, shocked noise. “You better!” He quipped, continuing to paint Seokmin’s skin. “Or Beyoncé-sunbaenim would be sodisappointed.” Seungkwan jokes, as an opened blush compact now resides in his hand.

Seokmin nudged at him a bit with his arm, laughing heartily.

Their session continued on like that, filled with jokes and good humour. Seokmin seemed genuinely relieved from his worries upon voicing them to Seungkwan; which put Seungkwan into a good mood too, since he managed to help him out. Even the smallest compliments can make someone’s day better.

Continuing with his work, Seungkwan lightly patted some 3CE blush onto the apples of Seokmin’s cheeks. He then shaded in Seokmin’s eyebrows lightly with Shu Uemura ’s brow powder, filling in the sparse spots.

Seungkwan actually learned more about the band as he and Seokmin talked. He wasn’t really someone who listened to idol groups and Seokmin seemed happy to be chattering on and on about their group, so Seungkwan really didn’t mind listening to the singer. Usually he’d prefer to be the one talking, but he was kind of busy making sure that Seokmin looked his absolute best; though of course he didn’t not talk at all, he can’t really force himself to be that tight lipped.

Seokmin had basically tattled on to Seungkwan all about the real staff’s and member’s personalities; giving him insight as to what they actually were like and clearing his assumptions.

He had also learned that Seokmin was older than him by a year and that technically he was supposed to use formal language as the singer was older, but Seokmin had just let out a laugh and shook his head, “It’s fine if you don’t wanna use hyung! We’re close friends now— aren’t we?” He had winked playfully, to which Seungkwan rolled his eyes to but laughed.

“Everyone assumes that Seungcheol-hyung acts like a dad, when he’s actually like an uncle,” Seokmin said. “Jeonghan-hyung seems like an angel and will act like one when you first meet him, but if you get closer to him he’s actually a devil in disguise.” Seokmin shuddered. Seungkwan let out a snicker in response.

“Jihoon-hyung and Soonyoung-hyung are basically married at this point,” Seokmin said sarcastically, rolling his eyes; yet with a fond smile on his face.

“A composer and a choreographer together? God, they’re such a cliché couple.”

There was a sudden pause, as Seokmin seemed to just realise that he had just said that last sentence out loud— his eyes turning into saucers.

Seungkwan was about to ask him a question, but when he saw Seokmin’s expression he couldn’t help but narrow his eyes at Seokmin’s instant 180 degree turn of personalities. “Why do you look like you just ran someone over?” He asked, amused, laughing at how stupid Seokmin looked.

Seokmin scrunched his nose at Seungkwan’s vile remark. He scratched the back of his neck, looking guilty. “Are you…” He started, nervousness seeping in his voice like before. “...Accepting? Of gay people?”

Oh, so that’s why Seokmin looked like an antler caught in headlights. Jihoon and Soonyoung’s relationship was probably only shared among the close staffs and the members of Seventeen, and definitely not known to the public.

Office relationships were already not idealized, but the fact that it wasn’t a straight relationship either (existing in the country and world they were currently living in) didn’t make it any better.

Seokmin’s question didn’t need a whole lot of thinking to answer, though.

“I’m kinda offended that you think I’m straight,” Seungkwan then replied jokingly, rolling his eyes yet with a smile on his lips as to reassure Seokmin. “I try my best to be the gayest person alive and you ask me that question?”

As soon as he heard Seungkwan’s reply, relief seemed to wash all over Seokmin. The singer then let out a loud laugh at Seungkwan’s question. “Sorry for asking, then,” He laughed. “I just don’t like assuming people’s ualities— it isn’t my business after all.”

Seungkwan hummed in approval at Seokmi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter