all is fair in love and food war

i want to love you (and i do know how)

for. manon.


 

 

There isn’t a single thing Seulgi doesn’t love about Bae Joohyun.

 

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t a bunch of things Seulgi likes to pretend she doesn’t like about her just to get a rise out of her.

 

For example: she steals her French fries.

Joohyun’s smirk is endearingly mischievous, if Seulgi has to be honest. She pretends it bothers her anyway; she squints her eyes and holds back a smile as she fake-glares at her girlfriend, too amused by her slow, dramatic munching on the stolen French fry to actually be annoyed.

 

Beside them, Sooyoung is anxiously ranting about the movie audition she has to show up to tomorrow and whereas Seungwan’s fully immersed in what she’s saying, hanging to every word and hovering over her forgotten tray of fast food with two wide eyes, Yerim is slightly distracted by the two oldest’s quiet war of food. She has this soft ‘oh, my parents are at it again’ smile on her face and she glances at them every now and then, heart warm and light with adoration.

 

Seulgi’s quick enough to smuggle a fry from Joohyun’s tray and right into despite the older woman’s attempt to stop her. The latter scrunches up her nose in betrayal, tugs her red tray of food a little closer to herself and as far as possible from the revengeful taller brunette. The table they’re sitting at is rather small, though it doesn’t really bother her; she likes the way their knees touch ever now and then. She likes that she can reach for her lover’s hand if she wants to, and whenever she wants to.

 

“If you stop, I’ll stop,” Seulgi promises her, offering her pinky finger to seal a pact of peace.

 

Joohyun grins and leans forward to bite it, though Seulgi swiftly retreats before she can, a silent gasp dying in . “Never. I thought you said what’s yours is mine? Or were you just saying that to woo me? To lure me and get me into your bed?”

 

Yerim watches as the youngest of the pair gapes at her, blushing and stuttering. “W-what? I did not! What’s mine is still yours, but not my French fries!”

 

“Why not your French fries? Especially your French fries!” Joohyun has this serious frown that’s so adorable it’s physically painful to keep a straight face looking at her.

 

“Because they’re French fries, and they’re mine. Out of us two, I’m the foodie. I should be stealing your food.” Seulgi crosses her arms and leans back, daring her with her eyes. “And it’s dating code 101: do never touch the French fries! People break up over French fries theft, it’s a fact you can’t ign–” Joohyun interrupts her monologue with a loud laugh that sounds a lot like happiness and heart-shaped clouds. Seulgi wants more of it, so she puffs her chest and threatens her with a ketchup-stained fry. “Hey! Stop laughing! This is very serious business.”

 

“Is that so?” Joohyun inquires teasingly, leaning forward with an airy chuckle. “See you might be the foodie out of us two, but you’ve got a heart of gold. Remember when Yerim broke your guitar and you let her off the hook because she pouted at you? Yup. I don’t think you’d break up with me for fries,” she says smugly, completely ignoring Yerim’s protests. But then, as expected, Seulgi’s completely distracted by their youngest’s cute whines and Joohyun sizes the opportunity to surge forward and bite off half of the fry her girlfriend pointed at her earlier.

 

Seulgi’s jaw hangs for a moment as she watches her fist pump in triumph, honestly baffled by the sudden attack. But then the astonishment settles and she’s just staring at the way Joohyun laughs for her; with her head thrown back and her eyes b with joyful, unshed tears. Joohyun’s so loud, when they’re together, so unapologetically carefree Seulgi can’t help but laugh, too. She loves this woman so goddamn much. “Oh god.” An exasperated sigh slips between curved lips. “You’re unbelievable.”

 

Unbelievably charming, you mean,” she corrects her, raising her eyebrows to mock her further. “You’ve got to admit that was extremely well executed.”

 

“Ok true. But you’re only charming sometimes,” Seulgi argues, pouting. “It’s not charming that my girlfriend’s a food criminal.”

 

“You get used to it.”

 

“No. You really don’t.”

 

Joohyun doesn’t reply, cheekily smiles at her instead as she nips on her hamburger and brushes their knees together. Seulgi simply shakes her head, wanting to lean forward and kiss her senseless but quickly giving up the thought because her lover’s too cute and she’s risking a freaking cardiac arrest seeing how hard her heart’s rumbling in her chest just at the sight of her. She might pass out from blushing so much, too.

 

Though as she looks away and pretends to immerse herself in the conversation Sooyoung and Seungwan are having, she doesn’t forget to push her tray of food towards Joohyun, a silent invitation that doesn’t even have to be issued.

 

She’d get her the moon if she asked for it, Joohyun knows that.

 

Yerim’s tender eyes catch her own, the younger girl smiling knowingly but Seulgi doesn’t have to look at her lover to figure out she’s still stealing her fries. She shrugs then, her stomach filled with tiny butterflies and something that reminds her of love.

 

There may be a bunch of things Seulgi likes to pretend she doesn’t like about Joohyun just to get a rise out of her, but she only really does that to give her a reason to let her guard down and freely laugh.

 

There isn’t a single thing Seulgi doesn’t love about Bae Joohyun.