Two

Petty? Sure
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Come on, dinner won't make itself! Hyun Moo will be here soon!" Mrs Han urged, stirring a simmering pot vigorously.

Jinhee forced herself not to roll her eyes as she quickly chopped green onion. Every time Hyun Moo was coming home for the weekend, it sent her mother in a frenzy, cooking the foods he liked. And now that Do Jin was in New Zealand, Jinhee wondered if her mother wasn't doting on Hyun Moo a bit too much...

It was almost laughable, because Jinhee could remember how much her mother had been against Jaerin marrying him - a man drowning in the debts of his late father. Mr Han had also hated Hyun Moo, determined that he wouldn't be able to make his eldest daughter happy. Eventually though, Jaerin brought Hyun Moo over often, and Mr and Mrs Han both softened - he was quiet, observant, and considerate, yet mischievious with a wonderful sense of humour.

Jaerin missed him dearly, everyone knew that. Jinhee admired Hyun Moo for accepting to be transfered, and to work harder, therefore being able to pay off his father's debts faster. It wasn't like it was easy for him either, being so far away from his wife.

Jinhee suddenly felt a flash of pain in her index finger, and quickly ran to the kitchen sink before blood could fall on anything. As she held her finger under running water, Mrs Han took the green onion. "Be careful!" she scolded, not looking at Jinhee, focused on what she was cooking. "You're old enough to be able to use a knife!"

As if she had done it on purpose...

The front door opened and Jinhee heard a squeal and a male voice exclaim, "Sweetheart!"

Mrs Han raced out to meet Hyun Moo, and Jinhee stayed back, scared if something would burn. Mr Han was there too, and all the cheerful voices made Jinhee wish she were there too but knowing that even if she were, she would just be hanging back, too shy to join.

Mrs Han returned soon and told Jinhee to go greet her brother-in-law. Hyun Moo's round face beamed, and Jaerin was glowing. He gave Jinhee a gentle hug as a greeting. "How have you been doing, Jinhee?"

Before Jinhee could answer, Jaerin cut in, "She will be taking my place at BigHit while I'm on leave!"

"Really?" he said. "Wow, that's amazing!"

"She has an interview in four days!"

"Good luck!"

Mrs Han hollered for Jinhee, and she rushed back to set dishes on the table. Hyun Moo helped too, despite Mr Han's insistence that he should rest after such a long journey. Hyun Moo made Jaerin take a seat and tenderly squeezed her hand. Jinhee quickly looked away, feeling like she was about to encroach on something intimate.

Dinner was extremely cheerful, everyone in a great mood. Jinhee listened, enjoying all the cheerfulness that Hyun Moo had brought with him. When the meal ended, Jinhee was about to ask Jaerin or Mrs Han to do the dishes since she had cut her finger, but when she saw them talking with Hyun Moo, she decided not to and did them anyway. Then she went to the bathroom on the second floor where the first-aid kit was, and she cleaned her finger and bandaged it, hoping the cut would heal in time for her interview. Four days was a long time, wasn't it?

-

The morning of the interview had Jinhee up early to get ready. She washed and conditioned her hair, and styled it into loose curls and did her makeup. Today she was going for a smart and polished, yet natural look - with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter