One

Petty? Sure
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


The most annoying sound in the entire world was the sound of that damn alarm-clock going off. Just five more minutes, was the very first sleepy thought of the day. Good old snooze-button, what would anyone do without it? The alarm went off again, and she hit snooze again. And again. And again. And again. And-

"ENOUGH!!!!"

The blankets were torn away and the person who had shattered the morning peace snatched the phone lying on the night-table and turned the alarm off.

"Is this what you did every morning when you lived alone?!!"

The voice was too loud and angry for early morning...

"Mom," she whined, eyes still shut. "It's Sunday..."

"So?! I don't see your big sister lazing around! She already went to work!"

"That's because she's a stylist for an idol group, that doesn't count." She groaned and her hands searched for the blankets, but didn't find them.

"Just get up, Jinhee, ok? I need you to help me wash the bedsheets and weed the garden."

Groaning loudly, Jinhee dragged herself out of bed. Once her mother, Mrs Han, was sure she was actually awake, she left, and Jinhee washed her face and got dressed. Great... today she would be running errands for her mom instead of looking for a better job...

Jinhee was the last one down for breakfast, which meant there was nothing other than oatmeal - everyone had eaten the rest. "And you love oatmeal," her mother would say.
She sat down and poured a bit of honey into her bowl of cold oatmeal, and stirred it around listlessly.

"Eat that fast, come on!" Her mother's voice came from nowhere, urging Jinhee to finish fast. She ate it all so quickly she didn't really taste it. She then did all the dishes, no one ever bothered to clean their own things now that she was here. After that, she stripped the beds of their sheets and blankets and stuffed them in the washing machine. Her mother was already outside, squatting in the soil, and Jinhee hurriedly slathered on some sunscreen before going outside.

"We're fertilizing today," her mother announced. "Weeding and fertilizing. Look, I bought a few sacks of pure manure from the market the other day."

Jinhee's nose wrinkled. "Lovely." She then lugged the sacks over, opened them, and together they weeded and fertilized the vegetable patch and the many flower beds. Within a short time, her back began to ache and sweat rolled down like fat beads. Her legs began to ache as well, from all the squatting. Gosh, standing around for hours cutting hair was way easier than this...

They finished and had a late lunch, and then Jinhee dragged the sheets outside and hung them to dry in the sun. She made her mother some tea, and then took fresh sheets from the closet and made all the beds - her parents' bed, her sister's bed, and her own. As she tucked the corners under her mattress, she reflected drily that the only benefit of her younger brother going to study abroad was that there were less beds to make and less dishes to wash.

The sound of a door opening and loud voices made their way to her room. Jinhee hoped she wouldn't be expected to go down there, but her mother called her downstairs. One of Mrs Han's friends was standing there.

"Hello, Mrs Cha." Jinhee greeted her.

"Oh, Jinhee!" Mrs Chan clasped her hands. "How are you, dear?"

"Very well, thank you. And you?"

"Excellent! I'm going to a rather big event this afternoon, you see - a fundraising! I'm getting ready now, and I was wondering..."

Jinhee smiled, knowing what the lady was asking. "Of course. Did you bring some products with you or shall I get some of mine?"

"You have such a sweet daughter!" Mrs Cha exclaimed. "Thank you so much, dear."

"No one can make us as beautiful as Jinhee does, can they?" Mrs Han said proudly.

Mrs Cha had brought a few products, all of them ones that Jinhee had recommended to be best suited for her skin tone and texture. By now, she was getting quite used to some of her mother's friends asking her to do their makeup when they had an event or party to go to. Jinhee enjoyed it, as the women were so pleased with her work. They took her advice for the colour of lipstick and foundation that would suit them best, the kind of eye makeup that would really bring out the best in them.

Jinhee worked on Mrs Cha in the living room, her mother bringing snacks and sitting down, and they all chatted comfortably. It only took twenty minutes, since Jinhee had done it for Mrs Cha several times already and was used to it. Mrs Cha and Mrs Han exclaimed over it, and Mrs Cha thanked Jinhee and left to go change into her dress.

To Jinhee's relief, Mrs Cha's visit had made her mother decide to just have a lazy afternoon, and together they watched TV until Mrs Han went to buy groceries for their dinner, saying she needed a walk anyway. Just a few moments after she left, Jinhee's older sister came home.

Jaerin collapsed onto the sofa with a huge groan, hand coming to rest on her swollen belly. "This is getting so much harder," she whined, and gratefully took the glass of juice Jinhee got for her. "I'm on my feet all day, running here and there, with barely any time to rest! Look, my ankle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter