Moving On

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Moving on || 7.4k words

 

 

 

Kwon Eunbi was in her sophomore year when she met Lee Chaeyeon        a freshman. 

The first time Eunbi saw the girl was when Chaeyeon accidentally entered the wrong class which happened to be Eunbi’s. The clumsy girl was in her sleepy state and messy bed hair, rushing into the class and apologising to the tutor. Upon coincidence, Eunbi matched eyes with the drowsy pair. She noticed how her eyes widen a little and how her cheeks turned slightly pinkish. Maybe the younger girl have already realised that she entered the wrong class. However, the intruder didn't react and just froze up on her spot. It was only when the laughters erupted across the sophomore’s class that the distraughted girl snapped out of her trance. 

 

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Wrong class!" 

Embarrased, Chaeyeon bowed deeply and chanted apologies for interrupting the class before dashing out again.

 

"Aw, isn't that Lee Chaeyeon?" 

"Yeah, isn't she cute?" 

"But how did she mistakenly came to the sophomore building when she's a freshman?" 

 

Accidentally entering into the wrong block that was opposite the freshman building?

Eunbi thought the girl was weird.

 

 

***

 

 

The next time she saw the clumsy frosh was weeks after that embarrassing mistake.

Eunbi was having training with the track and field team and was instructed by her senior to get some skipping ropes for their physical training. Along with Hyewon, the black-haired went to the sports hall. However, the duo could only find some spoiled ones in the storeroom. 

 

“Isn’t the volleyball team having training inside the hall?”  Hyewon says, “Maybe they are using the skipping ropes.”

“Let’s go ask from them.” 

 

There, she saw that younger girl for the second time.

 

Eunbi wasn’t that good with faces, but she guess that freshman did leave a deep impression on her to remember who she was. Though she could never ever imagined her to be a volleyball player. Sure, she had the ideal height and the long slender limps, but she just didn’t give out the volleyball player vibe. With all honesty, Eunbi would have believed if anyone had told her that the girl are not part of any clubs other than the 'go home club'. 

 

True enough, the volleyball team was using the ropes. Half of the hall was used for sparings amongst the juniors and seniors whom Eunbi could recognise a few.      Seolhyun, Hyejeong, Sowon, Yura.  While the other hall was used for physical trainings for the freshmen and sophomores she guessed, seeing Chaeyeon being part of the crowd. 

Hyewon and Eunbi stood by the side and observed the volleyball newbies skipping for a few minutes, waiting for the right time to ask the members for the jumping ropes. Amongst the ten players using the ropes, Chaeyeon struck out to Eunbi's eyes. Not only did that brunette caught her eyes, she also made KwangBae giggle hard. 

 

"What is she doing? Seriously...?"

Hyewon tried hard to sniffle her laughter when Eunbi tried to shut her up though she was also had the verge of bursting out in laughters.

How can they not laugh while watching Chaeyeon so comically 'bouncing' up and down while tripping over the rope on every jumps? The player coudn't skip consecutively and could only do one at a time. 

Eunbi has never came across a person who at skipping this much. But it surprises her how the brunette didn't even whine or groan a single time despite her numerous failed attempts. She still kept her smile and tried her best. Given other people, they would have long given up and just cheat their way through the sets.

 

She thought that Chaeyeon was strange but in a good way.

 

When Chaeyeon finally finished her set after much failures, the black-haired glanced at her teammate nudging her slightly to approach Chaeyeon. However, Hyewon shakes her head with a frown. That left with Eunbi with no choice but to approach the taller girl herself. 

 

"Hey... Sorry for interrupting." 

The brunette was caught off guard, completely unaware that she had been watched doing her failed skipping attempts. Eunbi guessed that Chaeyeon might have recognised her from how she was stunned for a few moments, open for flies and bees to enter. 

"Hey...?" Eunbi calls out again to pull the player back to earth.

Chaeyeon's cheek grew in a deeper shade of red and that was kind of adorable. She could kind of imagine how Chaeyeon's embarrasement would be doubled when she recognised Eunbi, knowing that she mistaken Eunbi's class as hers and ran in humiliating herself infront of twenty over seniors. 

 

"Y-Yeah? How can I help you, sunbaenim?" 

"Do you still need the skipping ropes? Cause' we need it for our phyiscal training." 

"O-Oh. Gimme' a moment!" 

"Sure."

 

Eunbi observed how the brunette literally flies over to the other half of court and interrupted the senior's sparrings politely. 

"Woah, she runs really fast." Hyewon commented. 

"Yeah, she's pretty light on her foot."

“Pretty light?" Hyewon gasped, totally amazed, "I totally thought that she floated and flew in the air!" 

The older girl scoffed and shoved the latter away jokingly, "You are exaggerating." 

Her teammate shrugs then bobbed her head towards Chaeyeon who again, flew back to them in a speed of lighting.

 

"She would totally be an ace if she joins us." She whispers into Eunbi's ears since the younger girl was only an arm length away from where they were. 

"She's already in the volleybal team, idiot."

"We could totally make her jump to our team." 

 

Eunbi rolled her eyes and stopped entertaining Hyewon's stupid ideas as Chaeyeon came back with a smile. 

 

"Yeah, you guys can use them! Just give me a moment, I'll put them back in the bucket." 

The runners nodded and waited for Chaeyeon and the rest of the juniors to pack the ropes up. 

 

"Unnie, should we ask her to join our team?"

"We are not here to scout people, Kang." Eunbi shot down the idea instantly while Hyewon was fidgeting on her spot, grumbling.

"But seriously, she has the talent!" 

"Shut up." 

 

"There you go." Chaeyeon came back to them with the bucket filled with skipping ropes and handed it over to Eunbi, "Which sports club are you guys from?"

This time, surprisingly, Hyewon finally dared to open up . 

 

"Track and field!" 

It was too late for Eunbi to stop what was going to come out from Hyewon's lips next. 

"Do you want to jump to our club? You're really a fast runner!" 

"Huh...?" 

Chaeyeon was dumbfounded while Eunbi could only curse under her breath.

 

"Thanks! I'm sorry, just ignore this idiot here."

She apologised to Chaeyeon and with an iron grip, she dragged Hyewon away.

 

 

***

 

 

The third time crossed path with Chaeyeon was again another embarrasing situation. 

She was running late for class. With her ordered cup of ice americano in her hand, she ran out of the cafeteria only to spill it over another person's blank white clothing. Not only did she spilled her caffeine, Eunbi also tripped over herself.  The black-haired closes her eyes, expecting the impact from her fall. Yet, the anticipated impact never happened.

 

"Woah there, are you okay?"

Fortunately, the person was fast enough to catch her arm before Eunbi meet the ground. When Eunbi opened her eyes again, she could only see the brown stains on the latter's white blouse. 

"! I'm so sorry!"

Eunbi fumbled and got back onto her foot and bowed deeply, chanting apologies, "Your blouse is ruined oh my gosh! How much is it? I can pay for it!"

The black-haired finally looks up to see the face of her victim and was surprised to see the familar brunette. 

 

"It's fine... You're rushing, sunbae." Chaeyeon smiles and used her hands to pinch a tiny piece of the surface of her blouse and shakes her head, "I will just change into my gym clothings. No worries." 

"I...I'm really sorry, Chaeyeon-ssi."  Eunbi bit onot her lower lips, brows knitted together in worry and guilt.

She glanced at her watch which just striked pass eight, causing her to groan internally. She was officially late for her class and she needed another at least ten minutes to run back to the sophomore's building from the caferia. 

 

"Y-You know my name?" 

"Huh?" 

Eunbi was pulled out from her own bubble when she heard Chaeyeon's shy question. 

"H-How did you know my name, sunbae?" 

"I heard it from my classmates the other time you mistakenly ran into our class." 

"Oh." 

 

The younger girl chewed her tongue and looked away in shame. She scratched her nape as slience ensued between them. 

 

"I should go and clean this up haha. Aren't you rushing too?" 

"Ah, its fine. I'm already late." Eunbi shrugs in defeat, "I will just skip that lesson." 

"I'm sorry!" 

"What for?" 

 

Chaeyeon smiled sheepishly, "You're late because of me." 

"What?" Eunbi blinks in confusion. 

"You bumped into me and because of that you're late."

"No? It's my fault that I wasn't watching my way out and I was already going to be late that's why I was rushing." 

The black-haired chuckled when she see Chaeyeon tilting her head to the side with a pout while mouthing 'i don't understand'  to herself. Eunbi really wonder what's going on in that brain of the brunette. 

 

She's really weird. 

But, it kind of triggers Eunbi's interest. 

 

"C'mon, let's get you changed and I'll treat you a cup of coffee." 

"No! It's okay! Really, I don't want to bother you."

Eunbi quirked a brow, "Didn't I say I'm going to skip my class already? And I'm treating you as a form of an apology."

"But..."

"No buts."

"Okay fine." Chaeyeon huffed, "But    "

"      I told you! No buts!"

Chaeyeon shakes her head, "Nono! I just want to say that I don't drink coffee!" 

"You don't drink coffee?" 

 

Now, Eunbi is surprised. How can an university student not like caffeine? It's like the saviour of their life in university. Eunbi thinks that without caffeine, she would probably sleep through her class and lectures every day. 

 

"Yeah, is it okay if we have ice cream instead? It's cheaper too!" 

Though Eunbi really needed to have a cup of coffee, since she spilled hers, the black-haired find herself agreeing and yielding to the puppy eyes Chaeyeon was displaying. 

 

 

***

 

From the ice-cream treat,  Eunbi started to hang out more often with the younger girl and found out that she quite liked Chaeyeon's presence. The younger girl is more interesting than she thought. Like the unicorn-inspired bubble-gum ice cream that younger girl loves the most,  Eunbi finds Chaeyeon's personality quitey similar to that flavoured ice cream. 

Everyone knows how an unicorn is like        fluffy, cute, colourful, vibrant. 

That's exactly what Chaeyeon is. 

 

She's really bright, Eunbi concludes. 

There isn't a day where Eunbi had not seen Chaeyeon wearing her usual blinding smile and don't even mention her contagious rolling laughters that could make Eunbi double up in giggles even though she do not have a single clue as to what the 4-dimensional girl is amused at. 

From her chubby cheeks which Eunbi assures the latter that it's cute and her part of her charm, to how Chaeyeon tries to uplift her mood whenever she's feeling down with her antics, to how Chaeyeon looks after her so kindly and warmly, Eunbi starts to notice that she's forming an affection towards the brunette. It came to a point where Eunbi would start to think of Chaeyeon wherever she go.

 

Everything that she does would somehow remind her of Chaeyeon. 

 

When she ate delicious food, Eunbi would take note of the resturant and would find herself setting a date with the brunette to have a lunch slash dinner date. 

Whenever she drinks ice americano, it would remind her of the day she bumped into Chaeyeon and how their friendship blossomed since then. 

When she sees an ice cream palor, it would remind her of how Chaeyeon would always drag her excitingly to get her unicorn ice cream. 

Whenever she enters her classroom, she would have to hold herself back from giggling at the memory of the younger girl mistakenly entering her classroom. 

 

God knows how satisfied and victorious Eunbi felt when she saw Chaeyeon coming in to school with her brand new dyed blonde hair. It was just a passing comment that Eunbi threw out to Chaeyeon when they were walking past a hair salon. She casually mentioned how she thinks that Chaeyeon would look awesome if she had blonde hair. How much it would make her stand out more than ever and how it could help her to spot the volleyball player more easily amongst the crowd.

Then the very next day, Chaeyeon came running up to her so excitingly with her bleached hair flying up on the air elegantly as she approaches. 

 

"Unnie! I dyed my hair!"

"Yes, I could see that Chaeyeon-ah. But why all of a sudden?"

"What do you mean? Didn't you say that it would really suit me yesterday?"

"Yeah I did."

"Yeah, so I begged my omma to let me dye! How to I look! Awesome?" 


Eunbi swears, she never felt so important in her life before till knowing how the now blonde would take her small passing comment so serioulsy and literally acting on it without even thinking through it. She made sure to shower Chaeyeon with a bunch of compliments the following days and weeks. Though she have been doing so for the whole time they started to hang out. 

Eunbi thinks that she really likes Chaeyeon      or that's what Hyewon had told her. 

 

"You obviously like her, unnie."

"What makes you think so?"

"Bruh, no one could ever make you smile so widely other than Chaeyeon." 

"Have you seen yourself in the mirror whenever Chaeyeon comes?"

"Obviously not?"

"Oh right! Because you were busy staring at her."

 

 

You can't blame Eunbi for that. The blonde is indeed eye-catching and it's hard to not admire her rare beauty. Sometimes Eunbi doesn't get why Chaeyeon would think that she's ugly. But of course, she would gladly be there by her side to always remind how beautiful and cute she is. 

 

"Ugh, my face puffed up again."

"Don't worry about it, Chae. You look cute with your cheeks. Didn't I told you that a million times already?"

"No unnie! Look! Why does it puffs up so much? I didn't even ate anything for dinner!" 

"You didn't what?! Didn't I told you to drop your stupid diet?" 

 

The Chaeyeon she knew before would have globbled up any food in her sight without hestitation. That's how much Chaeyeon loves food. So when Eunbi found out that Chaeyeon has been skipping meals to diet, it didn't sit well in her. She made sure that Chaeyeon would eat 3 meals a day or even more if she's with the younger girl the whole day. Eunbi thought Chaeyeon have been following her instructions obediently but apparently not. 

 

"But..."

"Seriously. What are you dieting for? You're in great shape already. You exercise every week too!" 

"I...I'm not! I still have to lose my baby fats!"

"No!"

"I want to!"

"For what?" 

"For you!" 

"For me???" 

".... I just wanted to look pretty for you." 

 

Imagine her surprise when Chaeyeon confessed that in front of her with her crimson puffy cheeks, her flaring red ears that was poking out of her blonde-locks. Eunbi felt her heart wobbling at that adorable sight. That was a feeling that Eunbi had been experiencing frequently ever since her conversation with Hyewon about liking the volleyball player. 

 

"You wanted to look pretty for me..? W-Why?"

"Geez unnie! Everyone knows it but only you!" 

"Knows what?"

"That I like you!" 

 

There goes her poor heart. She thinks her heart is malfunctioning. It starts to thump so quick that Eunbi had to turn around and hold her hand against her chest to calm it down and to stop her cheekbones from rising too much before she face Chaeyeon again. The younger girl must have thought that Eunbi would reject her with how she starts to fiddle with the ends of her sleeves nervously and her face screams panic. 

Eunbi only chuckles and takes a huge step forward to bury her face between the taller's neck. She could feel the younger girl froze up on her spot the moment she hugged her. 

 

"Idiot. Why didn't you tell me earlier?" 

"H..Huh?" 

"Aren't you going to hug your girlf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter