Chapter 5

Like a Tunnel with no Light

Seungmin wasn't so surprised about suddenly being forced to leave his house like that. He put on a warm jacket and went straight to Wonpil's house. Only he didn't find anyone there. He shrugged and paced around the neighborhood for a while, waiting for someone to show up.

While walking around, he was startled to hear muffled yells of someone being hurt. He slowly peeked around corners to find the source, and hid quickly when he found it. Five people wearing animal masks were beating up a man who looked like a criminal he was sure he had seen on the news before. He quickly but quietly left that neighborhood, sighing in relief after catching his breath.

He put in his earphones and hit play on his CD player, reveling in the refreshing sound of his cousin's band. He was feeling more relaxed as he kept strolling, taking in the view of the city at night. Suddenly the music stopped playing, and was replaced by silence as Seungmin frowned. He sat down on a park bench to see what was wrong with his CD player. It was very valuable to him and he would be very upset if it was broken. His mother baught it for him when he was little, upon noticing his passion for music. Fortunately, the problem was just that the batteries had run out of juice.

Seungmin's mood lifted a bit when he heard a different sound that was music to his ears. It was a puppy whose owner was walking it in the park, Seungmin immediately smiled and went to pet it. After playing with the puppy for a while, he went back to the bench and panicked when he didn't find his earphones. He opened his mouth to ask the guy who was now sitting on the bench if he saw them, but changed his mind and kept quiet as soon as he recognized his face.

He wondered why he kept running into him, why he couldn't just peacefully leave him alone. He gazed at him silently, wondering if he had followed him here, when he noticed that he was totally absent minded and not paying him any attention at all. Woojin was wearing jeans and a dark green hoodie, and Seungmin admitted he looked kinda cool without his school uniform. But the blank expression on his face was what surprised him the most. Woojin looked.. pooped. Discouraged.

'Excuse me, have you seen my earphones? I believe I left them here.'

Woojin looked up at him when he recognized his voice, even though he had been too lost in thought to have heard his question. 'Huh? Oh hey, Seungmin. Didn't expect to see you here.' He said with a small smile.

Seungmin rolled his eyes slightly before repeating his question.

'Um, no I haven't. You sure they were here?' He stood up and looked at the bench. 'Oh..' Woojin felt foolish. He had been sitting on them the whole time. He handed them to Seungmin and sat back down, burying his face in his hands.

Seungmin wanted to leave but for some reason he stayed, looking at Woojin silently. He hesitated before sitting down next to him. 'You good?' he finally asked, breaking the awkward silence.

Woojin turned his head to face him. 'I don't.. I don't know...' he sighed deeply. 'I just got stood up by my date.. honestly it's not such a big deal, but if I go back now then my sister will go on with her same lecture to me about how I'm "too nerdy for girls liking" or whatever. Should people dislike me just because I study hard? What sense does that make?!'

Seungmin pursed his lips, not expecting this sudden rant. Woojin looked him in the eyes. 'Is it so wrong to have a dream?' He asked him. 'To know exactly what I want in this life? And strive towards my goal with ambition and dedication? Is that a curse guaranteed to leave me lonely for-' he was interrupted by hearing Seungmin's stomach growl.

Woojin raised his eyebrow in concern. 'You haven't eaten?'

Seungmin didn't answer, looking away.

'You should go home and eat. Why are you even out at this hour? Young-'

'I was kicked out of the house okay?!' Seungmin unintentionally blurted.

Woojin looked at him shocked and concerned but didn't ask any more questions. 'There's a really good Ttokbokki place around here. Everyone likes Ttokbokki so you can't refuse.'

'I'm fine. I'm really not that hungry.' But Seungmin's stomach gave him away again which made him sigh and give in to Woojin's offer.

Woojin smiled, relieved that the boy agreed to eat but also because he was feeling better just by having Seungmin as company.