Chapter 4

Like a Tunnel with no Light

Seungmin gazed blankly outside the classroom window. It's not exactly like he could focus on what his Geography teacher was blabbing about. Not as if he could go on with his day without thinking that he broke down in front of some guy because he reminded him of his mother. He felt so humiliated. But he strangely didn't hate the fact that he hugged him. It felt warm, and something else.. somehow... honest. However, he didn't understand Woojin's intentions.

He recalled how he had rubbed his back gently. Seungmin winced in pain but it wasn't visible since he was already crying so hard.

'What class do you have? I'll tell your teacher that you're not feeling well, and that you couldn't attend first period.'

'I'm fine!' Seungmin stepped back, wiping his tears with his sleeves.

'Dude, you almost fainted on the bus! You need to rest!'

'I'll be okay.' Seungmin reassured him, taking his backpack on his shoulder. He threw the juice box in the trash. 'Thanks.' He added before rushing out to wash his face and go to his class. As expected, the teacher hardly even noticed he was missing.

'Kim Seungmin!' The teacher snapped him out of his trance. 'Why aren't you answering my question?!'

'I- I'm sorry ma'am. I- I didn't hear you.'

'If you're not going to pay attention then leave.' She scowled.

'S-sorry. It won't happen again.'

'Wasn't I clear? Kindly take your things and leave.'

Seungmin put on a cold expression as he left the classroom, uncomfortable at all the eyes that followed him to the door. He heaved a sigh, not knowing where to go. As if by fate, he happened to bump into someone, a person significantly taller than him, almost knocking over the pile of books he was carrying.

'Seungmin-ssi! What are you doing here? Are you alright?' Woojin asked concerned.

'Just got kicked out of class for not paying attention.' Seungmin shrugged. 'Why are you asking? And will you please stop following me around? I don't need you to look out for me you know.' He rolled his eyes.

Woojin ignored his complain and knocked on the classroom door, before opening it. 'Excuse me Ms Kim, but Seungmin here wasn't feeling very well this morning. He seems okay now, but perhaps you misjudged him for spacing out when he was actually just a bit tired. Can you please let him back in?'

'Why, Kim Woojin! What a delightful surprise! Of course, I'm sorry for not noticing that he looked sick. He can come back as long as he can concentrate.'

Seungmin looked at him dumbfounded.

Woojin smiled at him and gestured towards the door. 'Go ahead. Your classes are important, kiddo. Be careful next time.' He winked at the younger boy.

Seungmin eyed him and went back to his seat, puzzled with Woojin's behavior. Why was he forcing himself into Seungmin's life? And why him?

He wanted to tell Day6 all that happened with Woojin, but he couldn't, because his father was expecting him to prepare dinner and clean the house in order to be ready for the guests' arrival. So that was what he spent the afternoon doing, not without being spat on with spiteful words every 0.2 seconds. Seungmin held in his tears, hoping he could let them out later. Seungmin wasn't the type to self harm, since he already suffered too many forms of pain.

He hadn't seen his aunt since his mother's funeral, but he never liked her anyway. He didn't want to sit and small talk with her, or act nice to her, especially since she knew about her brother's behaviour but just didn't care. He wished he could just lock himself in his room and cry all evening. As a matter of fact, maybe he could.

Euna phoned Sanggyun telling him they were on their way, and proudly bragged about her husband being so great at his job. Sanggyun suddenly went pale. Apparently, Takada Kenta was one of the highest ranking officers in one of Seoul's well known districts, and was visiting Busan to pursue a highly complicated case.

Thoughts suddenly rushed through his mind. What if he found out he murdered his wife? What if he interrogated Seungmin, and he got more intimidated by the police than him? The first idea that came to him was to keep Seungmin away from Kenta, even if it meant he had to kick him out of the house for a while.