Chapter 3

Like a Tunnel with no Light

Somehow Seungmin had managed to get up for school the following day. He didn't exactly like school, but at least he wasn't bullied like other kids his age. That was probably due to the fact that nobody ever noticed he existed.

He got ready and sneaked out of the house as usual. Sure, he almost had a broken nose or internal bleeding, but it's not like anyone cared. Or more likely, he was afraid to tell anyone. He walked a few minutes but soon collapsed on the sidewalk, near a bus station. He decided he had no other choice.

When a bus came a minute later he boarded it, but found it full except for one empty seat. He hauled his aching body towards it without bothering to look at the person sitting next to him. Until he heard the guy clearing his throat.

'Um.. you don't look okay.. is there anything I can do to help?'

Seungmin looked up at him startled, but recognized him immediately as the annoying guy from his school who tried to talk to him yesterday. 'It's none of your business. And no, there's nothing you can do so stop prying.' Seungmin spat back rudely, in attempt to make the older boy leave him alone.

He was suddenly overcome by slight dizziness and he slumped his head on Woojin's shoulder, trying to stay awake. His breaths were heavy as the edges of his vision got darker. Woojin changed Seungmin's position so that he was resting on his lap, and lifted up his legs on the seat. He took a carton of apple juice from his backpack and tried to make Seungmin drink it, and the other boy didn't register taking the straw in his mouth, since he was barely even conscious. He struggled against the urge to close his eyes.

But he made it. His breaths were slowing down, and he could see again. He still wasn't aware though, that he was laying in a stranger's lap, who gave him a sigh of relief. When he saw Woojin's face he jolted up immediately, trying to sit up straight. Woojin held him back down, and told him to relax. Seungmin was too tired to get up anyway, so he just gave in.

Woojin gazed silently at the troubled boy on his thighs, wondering how he had gotten himself in such a bad situation. He resisted wanting to the boy's hair, wanting to make him feel safe, wanting to tell him that everything will be alright. Because he was not a creep. He wanted to help Seungmin but it was hard since they were total strangers.

When the bus stopped near the school, Seungmin got up and walked out the door, trying to get away from Woojin as fast as possible. But as soon as he stepped out the bus, his body lost strength and he felt himself giving way. Only Woojin was right there behind him, steadying him from his waist, taking one of Seungmin's arms over his shoulders. Seungmin was too weak to push him away, he wanted to tell him he could walk on his own, except that he couldn't.

Woojin helped him get to the nurse's office, even though their school currently didn't have a nurse. He made Seungmin sit on the bed, and measured his blood pressure and glucose level. They were only slightly below normal, and they would rise once he eats.

'So first you think you're my older brother and now you're a qualified doctor? You're dillusional.' Seungmin scoffed.

Woojin just shook his head and smiled. 'I want to become a doctor. I read medical texts in my free time, and I'm familiar with some medical procedures.'

Seungmin rolled his eyes.

'And about me being your hyung, I just want to take care of you.' He paused. 'You seem like you need it.' He added in a quieter voice.

'What?! What makes you think I need to be taken care of?! I can take care of myself!' He said, now returning to his normal self.

'I just.. find something about you.. it makes me want to protect you..' he mumbled, inaudible to the other boy. But apparently, it wasn't.

'Well I don't need protection.' Seungmin told him, tears welling in his eyes. The truth is that he needed someone that could make him feel safe and loved. He had Day6, but for some reason they didn't allow him to make any contact with them at school. He never asked why. But for some reason, there was a person here, who is willing to help him, and maybe, just maybe, he could earn Seungmin's trust.

But Seungmin was scared of building relationships for a reason. He was afraid to let anyone deep into his life, he was afraid of hurting others and hurting himself. But most importantly, he was afraid of asking for help. Of reaching out for someone to save him, only to pull that someone down with him. 

Woojin noticed something off about Seungmin as his tears spilled from his eyes without him even noticing them. He did something that would be considered his automatic response, as he engulfed the younger boy in a bear hug. He tried to be gentle as to not hurt him. He just wanted to comfort him, but somehow he ended up hurting him more, but not in the way he expected.

Seungmin got a sudden flashback, and it was unbearable. Woojin's hug reminded him of how his mother used to hug him, unlike any of Day6's hugs did. He melted into the hug, as his face melted with tears. 'Eomma..' he whispered, choking on his own tears. 

___________________________________________

What should I call this? Woomin? Wooseung? Seungwoo? Whatever it is there will be more of it in the next chapters! :(