all my safe bets

lacuna (maybe in a dream)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein's mood does not improve over the hour and a half she has to sit through her Photography class. The room's bright lights and the god rays slipping through the wide open windows had not helped with her raging hangover. Neither had the jittery boy who sat three seats from her and couldn't stop clicking his pen, or the girl behind her who kept humming a catchy pop tune under her breath. Wheein had nearly snapped her pencil in half out of irritation over the group of fangirls who chatted quietly together and would often erupt in hushed giggles whenever their professor wandered near.

And, of course, Wheein can't forget her problem with said professor.

Wheein still hadn't gotten over the shock of seeing the familiar mop of blonde hair enter the room when the irritation set in. Byulyi had acted as though she was just another face in the crowd, just another student to teach. She barely gave a reaction when it came Wheein's turn to introduce herself, only smiling slightly as the shorter girl floundered with explaining why she signed up to the class when her knowledge and interest in photography started with selcas and ended in snapshots of cute kittens at the shelter she works at during the afternoons. Wheein couldn't say the same of her classmates, with some of them snickering behind her back, and she just knew the more academically-inclined folks had written her off as one of those girls who took up the class because of their handsome professor.

Suffice to say Wheein is still internally seething at her own stupidity and the circumstances when Byulyi signals the end of class. Her anger only grows when she realises her open notebook is still empty despite the fact that the whiteboard had been filled with terminology and jargon that Wheein can't even begin to comprehend even though Byulyi had marked them as basic. This is definitely not a good start to keeping her scholarship.

With a huff, Wheein gathers her things and prepares to head out. Thankfully, she has free time until lunch so she can recuperate from her hangover and try to make sense of things with Hyejin. She definitely needs her best friend's perspective on things and maybe even a slap in the face for her idiocy.

Before she leaves the room, she chances a look behind her and locks eyes with Byulyi among her throng of fangirls. Wheein tries to ignore the shiver brought on by those dark eyes and the small curve of her lips.

Instead, she runs.

-*-*-

Dialling Hyejin's number is like second nature as Wheein weaves past students littering the hallways. Hyejin picks up before the second ring even starts and Wheein knows the younger girl is looking for an explanation she isn't sure she can give.

Wheein remembers being eleven and learning that Hyejin's disappointed sigh has the ability to make someone feel like they've been gutted. That sigh's effect has not diminished over the years. "Wheein-ah, I won't judge you for sleeping with someone. But out of everyone in that club, why did it have to be Professor Moon?"

Before answering, Wheein dodges to the left of a bleary-eyed student rushing through the hall and manages to hit a burly jock hanging around with his friends. She offers a quick apology, but he grabs her shoulder and stops her in her tracks.

"Yah! Properly apologise to your senior, shrimp."

Wheein is about to bow her head when Hyejin's voice echoes down the hall. "Oi! Get your hands off her her."

It doesn't take a genius to know that following the orders of someone whose auro is enough to make people jump out of her way as she stalks towards you is imperative. The jock immediately releases Wheein, paling slightly at the intimidating but short woman. Wheein still bows slightly in apology before intercepting Hyejin, whose glare is still fixed firmly at the rapidly paling jock.

"Let's go, Hyejin-ah," Wheein urges, already feeling the eyes of the crowd on them.

Hyejin shoots a final warning look at the jock before taking Wheein's hand and smiling softly at her. "Let's go to the cafe. You look like you need the caffeine."

Wheein nods in agreement before squeezing Hyejin's hand. "Thanks for back there."

"I always have your back, Wheepup." At that, Hyejin's smile turns mischeavous. "Now about your other problem..."

Wheein's pout draws Hyejin's laughter and she lightly ruffles the shorter girl's hair as they enter the slightly crowded cafe. Hyejin casually greets the barista as they buy their drinks and Wheein hungrily slurps down her coffee as they choose a nook to settle in.

"So," Hyejin sips her tea and eyes her friend over the cup. "Professor Moon."

Wheein groans aloud, earning the half-hearted glares of students drowning in their notes and dozens of mugs of coffee. Hyejin shoots them a threate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter