casual touch

lacuna (maybe in a dream)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you serious?"

Jung Wheein's grip on the piece of crisp oslo paper tightened as the Arts Department head nodded somberly in front of her. Vaguely, she could hear the other professors milling around the air conditioned teachers' lounge, going about their day as though someone's life wasn't crumbling within their vicinity. Some even had the audacity to sneer at her as though she was wasting their precious time and not losing the will to live.

She could feel her lip quiver as she took a shaky step forward. "Sir, I can't lose my scholarship." She hated the desperation in her voice, but she wasn't lying. Without it, she wouldn't even have a roof over her head. She'd have to return home empty-handed. She couldn’t do that to her family. She couldn’t do that to herself.

"You have plenty of potential, Miss Jung, but without effort, all your talent would be wasted." Department Head-nim clicked his tongue in disapproval and she fought back a wince. She knew she had no one but herself to blame for the glaring red mark in her report card, but to be confronted with it head first wasn't something she prepared for when she woke up that morning. She already regretted the nights she spent losing herself in catchy dance music and the bitter bite of alcohol instead of studying with classical music playing in the background. She didn't need it rubbed in her face, adding insult to injury.

"Ah!" Department Head-nim half stumbled out of his chair at the sight of a teardrop making its way down her cheek. Bawling students were a common sight in the lounge, but there was something about making Miss Jung cry that made him feel like he had just kicked a defenceless puppy. "Miss Jung. There may be a way to keep your scholarship." It wasn’t often that Rainbow Bridge University offered second chances to students, but nearly every person in the Department had agreed Miss Jung’s potential was too great to pass by. Her performance on every other subject had been phenomenal and the sudden failed mark had been a surprise. Besides, her whole face lit up at the news and that was nearly enough of a motivation. "You're supposed to take an advanced class of your choice as an elective next year and another the year after. We have a few options available this semester and if you take one now as a normal subject, you can offset the credits you lost. I advise you to choose the subject you think you'll excel at. Just a passing grade will not be enough to keep your scholarship."

Wheein's smile didn't falter despite the warning. She nodded eagerly, tears - of happiness this time - threatening to spill at the offered lifesaver. "Thank you. Thank you. I promise I won't let you down this time."

"That's good to hear, Miss Jung." Department Head-nim smiled softly at her before sitting back down and grabbing a small note from among the documents scattered on his desk. Wheein couldn't read the loopy handwriting that caused his smile to drop. "I'm afraid I'll have to retract my previous statement, Miss Jung." He looked up, cringing at the sight of the young girl paling in front of him. It wasn't as disastrous as she thought, so he hurried to clarify, "You can still offset your credits, but the open slots on all but one class have already been taken up. And your first class starts tomorrow."

Wheein breathed a sigh of relief and held back the urge to punch her professor for possibly taking a week off her life. "That's fine. What class will I be taking?"

At that question, Department Head-nim grins. "Well, Miss Jung, I think some students may be envious of you for this, but you'll be studying Photography under Professor Moon."

The bitter burn of soju sliding down shouldn't be this enjoyable, but Wheein finished the drink with a wide smile on her face. Her companions cheered as she managed to successfully chug on the bottle and still stay standing despite her small size. Practice, she often said by way of explanation.

Loud laughter distracted her from grabbing another soju bottle. To her right sat her best friend since childhood, Ahn Hyejin, alongside Kim Hyuna, who she only knew as the Dance upperclassman that organised this party to celebrate her upcoming graduation and recruitment at a high profile idol company. Anyone who was anyone at RBU had been invited, and, through a friend of a friend, the two young girls from Jeonju managed to secure spots in one of the year's biggest shindigs.

Wheein tried to protest attending at first, but it didn't take much for Hyejin to convince her otherwise. The alcohol was a good incentive, but it had been the idea of a final hoorah before she jumped into doing nothing but studying that had Wheein picking out a classy black dress. She'd be focused on schoolwork after this party, she promised herself. No more letting her thoughts spiral out of control. No more avoiding classes because she couldn't bring herself to leave the comfort of her bed. Any doubts about her abilities to do so would be drowned by whatever drink she'd receive next.

"Yah, Hyejin-ah. I didn't know you were this funny." Wheein's brow raised as her attention was brought back to the two beside her. Hyuna's hand casually fell on Hyejin's shoulder and stayed with a soft caress at the exposed skin. The two young girls were by no means social butterflies who easily mingled in large gatherings such as a college party, but there was something about their upperclassman that seemed to put Hyejin at ease. Wheein briefly wondered if she needed to hide out and sleep in the campus library to give her roommate some privacy.

One o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter