PROMPTS

Light & Darkness Fantasy Writing Contest [RESULTS ARE IN!]

You must use at least one prompt, whether it be Light, Dark or Visual. No more than three ptompts per person, though. They will be marked as taken as they are chosen.

 

"LIGHT" PROMPTS

 

L1:

The kingdom has long been a place of peace and happiness, thanks to the fairies that use their magic for its people. But when the fairies begin to die off, balance is lost, threatening all of their survival.

 

L2:

It wasn't my idea to destroy it, but it was my job to get it done.

 

L3:

The frozen city started to glow.

 

L4:

A thin layer of frost covered all surfaces, for as far as my eyes could see. It was June, which meant it was the beginning of the first Winter in a thousand years.

 

L5:

When an alien ship explodes in the atmosphere of Earth, people start developing strange and sometimes very dangerous powers.

 

L6:

When a child is born with the power to see the truth, they become a threat to the rest of the realm. They're the only one aware that the lives they think they are living are nothing but a sham. Now they must set off on a quest to free them all from the spell, but revealing the truth and alleviating the fog of lies.

 

L7:

“You can try to hold my hand, if you think it’ll help. But nobody’s been able to before.”

“You’re that closed off, huh?”

“No. Your hand will melt. Don’t be stupid.”

 

L8:

"The box. The door. The crumbling brick. It begged me to enter."

 

L9:

"If I die tonight, donate all of my organs to those in need. Except for my middle finger. Give that to the king."

​​​​​​

L10:

With a thunderous echo, the lock fell into place. He was confident that the treasure room would never be breached.

 

L11:

The heat intensified as the teen summoned their first fireball.

​​​​​​​

L12:

They had served countless kings, faked countless deaths, just biding their time waiting for their beloved.

 

L13:

Miners discover stone spheres with strange markings.

 

L14:

A group of teens playing Dungeons & Dragons unknowingly unleashes the monsters in their game on earth.

 

L15:

Write a unique relationship between an immortal and a time traveler.

 

L16:

They woke up and and found that they were on an alien space colony. It turns out that it's time for your coming of age ceremony, and of your parents lied about being human.

 

"DARK" PROMPTS

 

D1:

"Mirrors are a door to another dimension and you can just walk right through them. Well, you could, if the people known as 'reflections' weren't hired to keep you out."

 

D2:

The king stumbled from his throne and collapsed to the floor of the empty chamber.

 

D3:

Don't worry. I'm not going to kill you. That's my uncle's job.

 

D4:

The high priestess inserted the ruby into the medallion, and that was the last time we saw the sun.

 

D5:

Legends tell of a sword which has an unquenchable taste for blood, but all who wield it become erased from history.

 

D6:

The kingdom has been in all-out war for centuries. All factions are pitted against each other. An orphan that was banished for not being a pure-breed may hold the key to ending the war once and for all.

 

D7:

Working with shadow was difficult. It was slippery, and my hands always came away damp.

 

D8:

The only rightful heir to the throne trades their magic to ensure a better life for thier people. But when they find out, the power that granted them the wish is deeply seeded in evil and ultimately intends on enslaving the people they love, they must figure out a way to save them despite not having any powers.

 

D9:

It was Summer, and they were swimming in a lake. They dove in, but when they came back up for air, they could feel the chill of Winter, snow was covering the ground and all of their friends were dead.



D10:

The golden pedestal stood empty. The kingdom's most infamous weapon had been stolen.

 

D11:

But as I'm dying, I realize...They were right.

 

D12:

“Do you have any idea what will happen if you pour this potion into that well!? … Trust me. You don’t want to know!”

 

D13:

They stepped through, and the portal vanished behind them. That was not supposed to happen...

 

D14:

When a child is born with the power to see the truth, they becomes a threat to the rest of the realm. They're also the only one aware that the lives they think they are living are nothing more than a sham. They must now set off on a quest to free them all from the spell, by revealing the truth and alleviating the fog of lies.

 

D15:

When a faraway realm chooses a young sorcerer to travel to earth to bestow upon them the power of magic, the newfound power threatens to eradicate the city.

 

D16:

There are shadows that roam at night, and no one really knows why they're here, and no one has ever dared to ask them.

But there's one thing everyone knows...they're terrifying.

 

D17:

“It's just a kid.”

“A very dangerous kid who could probably kill us all.”

 

D18:

“Maybe there was something about it that I was drawn to, maybe it was fate, but regardless, I knew I needed to have it.”

 

 

VISUAL PROMPTS

V1:

V2:

V3:

V4:

V5:

V6:

V7:

V8:

V9:

V10: