Chapter 4

No Speed Limit

Soyeon woke up at 6 am in the morning, at least that was what the shiny screen of her phone dared to scream at her face whilst she tried to blink the sleep away so that she could see the numbers properly. But in the end, she wished she didn’t put the effort in.

She fell back into her satin, bright red, sheets and let out a displeased growl that was not worthy of coming from a lady’s mouth and yet, she couldn’t care less about it. She even grabbed a pillow to cover her face with it, a bad habit from childhood she couldn’t quite escape, but it’s not like she did it to harm herself. She always stopped when it became hard to breathe, that’s when she usually turned to the other side, leaving the pillow on, but it was now supported by her shoulder and it served the purpose of shutting the light out because she had troubles sleeping in lit places. It usually worked, she went back to sleep easily without suffering too much. Usually, but not this time.

Her mind was full of disturbing thoughts keeping her awake and in the center of it was one boy dancing on her nerves. Hanbin had the audacity to sneak in between the small cracks of her very protected shield and stay there, occupying the biggest parts of her mind, no matter what was she doing or thinking of, he always crawled back and demanded attention. Ever since her father hired him to ber her personal chauffeur, the situation was even worse. She still couldn’t believe that had happened.

Soyeon thought life was mocking her. For what, she didn’t know, but she was sure of this. Because what were the odds, really? Of her new driver turning out to be the person she had a crush on for some inexplicable reason. No, not a crush. She refused to call it like that. He was just a very attractive young man (who unofficially totally happened to be her type) and she was not blind. Yeah, that was it.

Plus she had more dignity than to foolishly chase after a guy who clearly didn’t want anything from her, especially after their awkward encounter the other day when they had to spend quite some time trapped in a car and driving to wherever Soyeon needed to be at. It was easy to tell that Hanbin didn’t expect to be her personal driver and chaperon, as her father looked at the situation. Mr. Jeon was absolutely pleased that he was just a few years older than his daughter because that meant they could get on well, thus Soyeon would not want to send him away like she did with her previous chauffeurs. Hah, what a bull!

Technically, Hanbin didn’t have to mean more to her than just an employee of the family, but then why did he keep coming back to her thoughts? Why why why?

Soyeon groaned and pushed the blanket off of her body with such vigour that it flew to the ground. She knew she wouldn’t be able to fall asleep again after she spent most part of the night tossing and turning, randomly waking up for a few seconds to check whether it is morning yet or not. She was a rare mix of a night owl and an early bird, but it only worked perfectly when she got her relaxing sleep. She even had a weird dream starring Hanbin, though it was too much to remember of.

Soyeon put on her silk robe that matched the colour of her lively sheets, then marched down the stairs to see if there was anything available for breakfast as the dining table was always laid from 8 till 10, so every member of the family could come and go as they pleased. Despite the early hours of morning she doubted that their maids didn’t have anything to offer, it was a must to always be prepared in order to avoid becoming a victim of Mrs. Jeon’s mood swings.

Much to her surprise, the lights were on and someone sat in the dining area as she passed by the open place, she stepped back to peek into the room, but recognizing the person killed her curiosity. It was Seungyeon.

He looked like , Soyeon deemed, sitting there above a steamy coffee cup, amongst other things, indicated he has spent the night out and just got back home. She rolled her eyes, his face was tired and his eyes looked strange, but she didn’t care enough to ponder over that. She learned it a long time ago that it was to better to stay out of his shady businesses.

“What? You won’t even greet your big brother?” Seungyeon’s malicious comment made her stop. She didn’t think she could actually walk away without getting noticed, it was a nice fantasy though.

“Want me to spit into your coffee? Because that would be the only greeting you’d get,” she said with a sweet smile on her face that wasn’t actually as nice as it should have been under normal circumstances. If Seungyeon had any love left in him, he would have been so proud of his little sister after her remark because it was something like a true Jeon would say. However, he loathed the mere thought of sharing his family name with another child ever since he was big enough to think on his own, and if the baby wasn’t so well-guarded from birth, the 5-year-old Seungyeon would have found a way to throw her into the Han river when their parents weren’t looking. Unfortunately to him, the baby had the chance to grow up into this beautiful young lady who resembled him so much in his fierce behaviour that it hurt to admit it.

Seungyeon was tired, but he would never let an opportunity to get back at his little sister slide, he felt more riled up than ever, mostly because the damn coffee the stupid maids put in front of him burned his hand when he accidentally tilted the cup in the wrong way, although Soyeon’s words had a similar effect too. They were burning through his cold heart like wildfire and he didn’t like it one bit that she was capable of making him feel things he didn’t want. So it was natural to fight back with twice as much force to mask his vulnerability, it was always like this with everyone, he didn’t care if the one knocked off the end was his sister.  

“I wonder why are you up so early though… Oh right, having a hard time sleeping while thinking of your new boy toy? How does it feel to have him as your chauffeur after you slept with him? I can’t even imagine the dirty things you can do in your car now that you got him all for yourself,” he talked with fake acknowledgement, like Soyeon arranged things purposefully to get Hanbin by her side. It was sickening to listen to it, Soyeon wished she was deaf every time her brother spoke to her. “Maybe ask him some time to drive you to a secluded part of town where there aren’t many onlookers to catch weird sounds from the vehicle,” Seungyeon pushed a little more, delivering another punch to her stomach. She had to clench her fists to be able to stand there without blowing up. “I would have to ask him about how was it to be with a royal lady like you, I bet he’s still grateful to me for providing the best night of his life to him.” It was like as if he knew the things he stated weren’t true. As if he only did it to watch her suffer, to make her say it out loud that the chauffeur didn’t want anything from her. Because in Seungyeon’s world, it was absolutely humiliating that even a boy born into a poor family didn’t want to touch his little sister. Soyeon looked at it a bit differently, she didn’t distinguish people by their wealth, the thought never occurred to her that Hanbin would want her because he was poor and she was rich.

“Nah, I think the only thing he feels towards you is self-satisfaction. It’s not everyday someone from the other side of the river humiliates the big Jeon Seungyeon in front of his puppets and a bunch of people who never forget moments like this,” she remained composed. The best weapon against him was to show him he didn’t get on your nerves, and to strike back to where it hurt the most: his ego.

Soyeon heard it, but didn’t stick around to see it. She shuddered at the sound of something colliding with the wall, making the maids run out of the kitchen. She felt sorry for them, they had to clean the mess her brother made partly because of her, and picking up the shards of a broken coffee cup was one thing, but cleaning coffee stains from the wall was another.

Welcome to the average daily life of the Jeon family, she thought bitterly, changing her mind and walking back to her room as her appetite suddenly disappeared. Barely an hour passed since she’s woken up and even though it was her only escape, she felt out of place in her own room. She instantly knew what, or rather who she needed in order for that to change, so she picked up her phone to make some plans for the day.



 

badass midget:

hey jun

sleepover at my place?

 

giant baby:

sure

i’ll be there in time for dinner

i’d never say no to free food from your amazing japanese chef

 

badass midget:

how about you’ll be here in an hour

and you can have amazing free food

from our amazing japanese chef

all day

 

giant baby:

deal

see ya soon soybean

 

That’s how the two best friends found themselves cuddled up on Soyeon’s king size bed, watching comedies and eating popcorn with other delicious snacks the kitchen prepared just for Junhoe’s request. It was everything Soyeon needed. They often did things like this, whether at his or her house, it didn’t matter as long as no one bothered them and in the Jeon household, everyone was busier than to pay attention to what the youngsters were doing.

Their mothers even shipped them, made plans of their marriage since they were little children, though their relationship was never romantically inclined. Junhoe was a closeted gay boy who only let one person in on his secret: Soyeon. His best friend was the most supportive human being he’s ever met, thus he felt lucky to have her in his life. Actually, they both did.

“Hey, soybean,” Junhoe sat up on the bed when Soyeon came back from a short bathroom break, the current movie paused on the TV screen. Soybean was a cute nickname Junhoe invented for her after playing a little with her name, calling her So, then Soy, and because she was small like a bean, voila, Soybean was born.

“What’s up?” She crawled back next to him and sensing that he was serious right now, she did not make a move to start the movie again from where they left off.

“I was about to ask you the same thing.”

Soyeon sighed. He didn’t need to declare what exactly he meant, she knew it very well that the boy sensed there was something wrong in her behaviour, he always saw through her.

“Soyeon? You know you can talk to me about anything, right?” He reached for her hands and that was the first time she smiled genuinely today.

“Of course I know! It’s just… I don’t know, I don’t even get myself,” she mumbled, looking down at their hands which she found more interesting in these moments.

“It’s about Hanbin?” Junhoe referred to it as a question, but his tone indicated something else. He didn’t need to ask it to be able to state it.

Soyeon hummed in return, she didn’t get shy often, but with Junhoe, she didn’t need to be afraid of hurting herself if she let him see her vulnerable side sometimes. She could be truly herself around the boy.

“Okay, you don’t want him to be your chauffeur? I know you don’t want a chauffeur at all, but is it because it’s him?” Junhoe felt like playing a puzzle game where he had to put the pieces together, but at least he knew where to look for them.

“I don’t want him near my brother. Seungyeon still doesn’t want to shut up about the night he thinks I slept with Hanbin,” Soyeon was fuming in the inside every time she recalled her brother’s gloating words. She dreaded the day when Seungyeon actually took the time to talk to Hanbin face to face again, mentioning his dirty ideas about how their night went down. That would have been the biggest humiliation in her whole life, bigger than being the target of her brother’s sick games because the last thing she wanted was Hanbin finding out she didn’t tell the truth.

“Then why don’t you tell him the truth?” From Junhoe’s mouth, it was such an easy question, one that shouldn’t have caused headache to answer.

“I’ve never said that I was with Hanbin that night! He just assumed it and went ahead adding his own twisted ideas to it,” Soyeon leaned back with a loud sigh, the bed still gave out a thud under her light weight because of the intensity of her movements.

“You don’t have to introduce your brother to me, but don’t lie to yourself, Soyeon. You clearly have a thing for this guy and it shows,” he patted her knees.

“How could I have a thing for him? I don’t even know him!” Soyeon grumbled, throwing her hands around her face to hide it. It was absolutely ridiculous! She did not have a crush on anyone, let alone a boy she’s barely met and yet had some rough history with him. Someone was definitely conspiring against her because this couldn’t have been happening.

“And since when do we need to know people to have a crush on them?” Junhoe raised a brow at that and gave a skeptical look that told everything, he even had to hold himself back from rolling his eyes.  

“And since when are you so wise?” She snorted, but she didn’t think that seriously. They ended up laughing anyway, lying on the bed next to each other, shoulders and legs touching. When they managed to calm down from their impromptu laughing party, Soyeon turned her head so she could see her best friend. “But that’s enough about me, let’s talk about you. Don’t think I didn’t see you constantly glancing at that short hot man with nice muscles back at the night of the race,” she punched his stomach lightly, in the most loving way. Junhoe still brought his hands to the area where Soyeon’s strike landed and groaned loudly to express displeasure, both from the act and the content of their new topic. She hadn’t forgotten about what she had seen weeks ago, she was just too caught up in her own problems to mention it, until now. Junhoe on the other hand hoped nobody noticed him enjoying the pleasant sight while he only went to the race to provide moral support to her, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t enjoy himself, right? It’s not like he would ever see the man again he soon lost in the crowd after Hanbin took off with Soyeon.

 

The afternoon passed quickly, they only noticed it was dinner time when a maid came to inform them the family was waiting for the two of them. They were still spitting jokes and laughing on something when they arrived to the dining room, making a big ruckus but that was usual and ordinary with them around. However, tonight wasn’t only a family gathering for dinner which Soyeon had to find out stepping into the room and abruptly halting right after, seeing the familiar man sitting at the table with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Jeon threw some disgruntled look at her, but didn’t say a word in front of their companion.

“What is he doing here?” Soyeon didn’t mean to sound rude, she just couldn’t stop the question forcing its way out of her big mouth. It was rightful to be curious about their guest anyway.

“I invited him. Sit now, we waited enough for the two of you,” this was all her father said with his firm voice that meant he wasn’t happy about his daughter being late, but didn’t intend to make a big deal out of it. Not right now at least.

Soyeon held her head up high while she sat down across from Hanbin, Junhoe taking a seat right next to her, probably pondering over the same thing. Mr. Jeon has never invited a chauffeur to dinner before, why would he start being nice now? That was a mystery for another time though as they started serving the first on her father’s cue.

Soyeon was silent the whole time, eating her food and rarely looking up, too afraid to meet a pair of dark eyes that were sure the ones that burned holes into her skin throughout the meaningless chat with the Jeon couple. They asked all sorts of stuff about Hanbin, sometimes going over a line and even prying into his personal life, though that was rather coming from her mother than her father who wasn’t interested in those things his wife was busy finding out more about.

She felt Junhoe’s hand brush against her knee occasionally, then she would smile up at him as a form of silent communication only they understood. Soyeon was grateful her friend was there for her, offering moral support and averting the topics to himself whenever her mother tried to involve her in the conversation as well. Junhoe was only able to do this because Mrs. Jeon had a soft spot for him.

“Soyeon, where’s your brother?” Her mother asked halfway into dinner, seemingly alright with her first children not being present up until now.

“Probably out looking for some trouble with his minions,” she shrugged, not caring enough to give a more acceptable answer.

“Ah, you mean spending time with his friends,” Mrs Jeon tried to awkwardly laugh it off by adding something like ‘young girls and their confusing expressing methods these days’ to make Hanbin believe she just used the wrong words unintentionally. Soyeon had the desire to snort at that, only if her mother knew Hanbin was more aware of Seungyeon’s businesses than she herself.

“Excuse me, but may I use the bathroom?” It was the only thing that made Soyeon look up, fortunately avoiding Hanbin’s eyes as he was looking at her parents, asking for their permission in a very polite manner, she had to hand it to him. Her mother was already over the moon of how handsome and well-mannered he was, but in Soyeon’s opinion, he just knew how to talk to posh people.

“Of course, darling,” Mrs. Jeon was quick to reply. “Soyeon, show it to him,” her voice wasn’t nearly as kind as it had been when she was addressing Hanbin. She could only afford that since Mr. Jeon had stepped out to take a very important phone call from the office a couple of minutes ago.

“Go down the hallway, turn left and the second door to your right,” Soyeon tried to explain it as nice as she could, mainly to remain composed and unaffected by having to look at him, though boredom still could be heard in her smooth voice.

“I said show, not explain, young lady!”

Junhoe bit down on lis lower lip, watching the two women stare at each other with looks that could kill after Mrs. Jeon’s firm orders, Soyeon was the one who finally gave up and agreed to lead the man to the bathroom. He glanced after his friend’s leaving form, worry evident in his eyes and he wished they would be back soon because she was clearly feeling awkward around the man for understandable reasons.

“There it is,” Soyeon pointed to the door when they arrived shortly after exiting the dining room. They didn’t talk on the way, Hanbin maintaining a respectable distance between them.

“Thank you, Miss Jeon,” he nodded with a burning look in his eyes, voice raspy and low. Soyeon stood there dumbfounded hearing the formal way he addressed her, which managed to catch her surprise to say the least. She didn’t expect him to call her like that when her parents or other workers weren’t around and since they didn’t really talked outside the house, it washed all over her body like a cold shower. By the time she broke out of her stupor to react, the bathroom door already closed in front of her and Hanbin had disappeared behind it.