Chapter 3

No Speed Limit

Hanbin knew that if he told anyone about having a hot girl over at his apartment and not doing anything beside throwing a pillow at her, most people would think he had gone nuts or started whispering about him playing for the other team. So he didn’t tell anyone and apparently Soyeon didn’t either because it had been weeks and there were no rumours about this little lie. Oh well they didn’t even have to lie, just not correct the wrong assumptions. Bobby had been adamant at first trying to get those juicy details out of him but Hanbin wasn’t a big talker anyway, so it didn’t really surprised his circle that he didn’t go around telling everyone that he got laid. Which he didn’t.

He had bigger problems than that.

He groaned when the next blow send him to the floor clutching onto his stomach that ached from the hit it took repeatedly. His palms were scratched, proofs of the rough asphalt’s marks on his skin as he pushed himself up spitting blood onto the dirt. He got one more kick in his side and only then when he collapsed onto the floor with his pride stepped on did Giriboy told the other guys to stop and let him be. The exactor crouched down next to him and patted his bruised cheeks like a parent would do with a disobedient child.

“Look Kim… how many times do I have to tell you that we take deadlines seriously? Big boss won’t be so forgiving every ing time just because you’re a mediocre driver and he wins whenever he bets on you. You owe him money, he wants that back, it’s that simple,” he explains so helpfully one would think he really wanted Hanbin to get rid of the debt he wasn’t even responsible for. Having a ty family background and parents who overdosed on drugs is enough to chase him into it. Because of course they owed a large sum of money to their dealer who now kept coming at Hanbin to get it back.

“Two more month. Just two more,” he whispered almost too weak to be even heard. Giriboy leaned annoyingly close to his face to make out the next mumbled words, his vicious smile appearing right in front of Hanbin’s hazy vision. “A big competition is coming up.”

One of the biggest actually and he planed to get out of here if he won. From that money, he could not only pay off the debt, but get rid of that ty apartment and actually do something with his life. He didn’t have big dreams, all he wanted was a simple life without dealers breathing down on his neck and a bunch of strangers attacking him in dark alleys on his way to the convenience store. He wanted nothing more than a few friends and a car to drive. Was it really that much to ask for?

“A big competition, huh?” the exactor spit on him and let out a mocking laugh that hurt almost as much as the punches. “I heard you had money to buy new car components but not to pay us?”

Hanbin just gritted his teeth willing himself not to throw back any insult return before they really beat him to half-dead. He needed his car to get money, so of course he needed to spend money on his car, so that it could be in its best shape.

“If we gave you two months you wouldn’t even be able to pay the interest,” Giriboy clicked his tongue while he sat back on his heels. He pretended to think out loud giving him more time to suffer, to feel miserable and humiliated that his life is basically in the hands of a tyrant. “You get one month and if you don’t pay back the whole amount interest included then we will meet again and we won’t be so kind.”

The driver just grunted as he acknowledged the new offer and let out a breath when the footsteps started to fade away in the distance. He wasn’t sure how long he stayed there lying on the hard ground that was cold even after the scorching heat of summer Sun that shone on it all day. It took him quite some time to gather enough strength to get up, standing to his wobbly feet and crawl back home, the beer and bread he wanted to buy long forgotten.

 

“ bro, they got your good this time,” Bobby grimaced when he saw his best friend’s swollen cheeks and split lips next morning. The car repair shop where they both and a few more from their crew worked was busy even in early morning. The others only greeted him nonchalantly or hissed at seeing his beat up face. Two of the girls in the corner whispered about something while keeping their eyes on their duo.

“You should see my ribcage. It looks like some ed up, rotten eggplant,” Hanbin shrugged and threw his bag onto the floor next to the stall he usually worked at. Among them there was not much privacy or anything to be shy about, so he quickly got out of his shirt and kicked off his pants to put on his mechanic uniform instead. He was in the middle of putting his arms in it when Bobby grabbed the hem of his undershirt and pulled it up to see the expressionist painting blooming on his chest and stomach.

“. That’s not good,” he mumbled letting go of the material. Genuine worry flashed in his eyes as he watched Hanbin get into the uniform properly. “What are you gonna do about it?”

“I dunno. Participate in more races maybe?” Hanbin sighed. Even after taking painkillers he had a tough night, he could barely think, not to make plans about how to get the money as fast as he could. A month of small races and working here he knew wouldn’t cover it all, especially now that the boss increased the interest on it.

“What about a job that pays more?” Yuna walked over to them followed by Haesoo closely. The sisters were the only female addition of their small crew but they could take apart a car and put it back together like it was nobody’s business.

Hanbin knew the two of them just wanted to help, this entire community was their safe haven, like a chosen family that supportive each member but he knew the usual requirements for well-paid jobs and without any kind of certificate he had no chance.

“I’m a high school dropout. Where they would take me?”

“I actually know the perfect job for you,” Haesoo exclaimed with enthusiasm which Bobby was watching warily but Hanbin didn’t notice any of it. “A friend of one of our cousins works for this super rich family and they need a new chauffeur.”

“You mean personal driver?”

“I guess.” the girl shrugged tapping her chin while thinking. “I don’t know exact details but I can get info for you about the pay and the application process. It’s what you like and know how to do, right? To drive, so…”

“Yeah, thanks Haesoo. That would be cool if you could get a number for me,” Hanbin nodded, hastily agreeing because what was the worst thing that could happen? They reject him and then what? It wouldn’t have mattered. But it was worth a try, especially since the girl was right: driving was the activity he enjoyed most in this world and it came to him the easiest, so getting paid for doing that seemed almost too good.

 

To get the job was actually easier than he thought. After he got the contact info and talked with some assistant of the family, he had to submitted a copy of his driver licence and a paper to prove his clean record. Then he was called in for a test drive with eleven other applicants and he finally met the owner of the voice from the calls’ other end. Both his manners and driving skills were tested but according to him, it went well. Pretty well in fact because two days later he got the job. He was sent an elegant uniform and a contract to sign, then he was called in to start working from Monday.

“Oh man I never thought I would live the day to see you in a tuxedo,” Bobby snorted when he saw him fully dressed in his shiny new black and white uniform that morning. It was a famous brand, a high quality suit, so Hanbin had no reason to complain yet he missed his less rigid clothes. It felt like he was tucked in some kind of prison of clothes wearing this well ironed shirt and pants.

“Are you envious?” Hanbin croaked a brow at his friend jokingly while fixing his cuff links.

“Well chicks dig guys in tuxedos, so… In your shoes, I would be careful with the old man’s wife,” Bobby joked and quite a few of the others present joined the laughter. Hanbin just shook his head. He didn’t care about wives committing adultery or daughters drooling at his sight. He was in it for money and the money only. He didn’t even care what kind of family he had to drive for as long as they had money, it was enough for him.

“Or get yourself a sugar mommy,” Jinhwan yelled from his place and laughter erupted again at the eldest’s stupid joke.

Hanbin checked the time on his watch and knew he should go soon if he wanted to be on time on his first day of work. But before he could move an inch, Yuna stepped in from of him with a shy smile and blush on her cheeks.

“Your bruises heal nicely,” she commented quietly as she take out a cotton pad from her makeup bag and leaned closer to apply some foundation and powder over the fading marks on Hanbin’s face.

The boy inhaled sharply as the girl ever so slowly worked on the perfect outcome. He waited patiently because without her help he probably wouldn’t have gotten his job anyway if he showed up at the interview like the ragged thug he really was. After she was satisfied with the result, Yuna pulled back examining his features before her eyes settled on his lips.

“Oh your lips healed already,” she remarked poking on the not anymore sore spot on the boy’s mouth playfully. Well, it has already been a week since the incident, so luckily all the bruised and wounded areas got better and less painful.

“Yeah. Thanks Yuna,” Hanbin smiled as grateful as he could. He was indeed lucky to have the whole crew having his back for this.

“Don’t mention it,” the girl shrugged and walked away just as fast as she came.

Not much later Hanbin was off to go too, so he bid his quick goodbyes and got into his car. As he drove off the suburb shop, all his friends hollered after him and Bobby even joked that he shouldn’t forget where he came from once he got together with crazy rich chick. From the outskirts of the city the more he approached the downtown worn one-storey houses were changed to tall apartments with barely any place between them and when he left the busy part of the city behind, the Gangnam luxury welcomed him. His car was clearly out of place and he got a few looks while turning into the driveway of a smaller palace-like house at one corner. After identifying himself, the security guard told him to park in front the garage that had four identical black Audis in it. Woah, they sure were on a different level.

“Good morning, Mr. Kim. Please follow me inside. The family wishes to meet you,” the assistant he met the other time greeted him as soon as he got out of the car.

He tried not to stare too much while he looked around in the fancy house as he was led into the living room. There sit a couple in their 40s in elegant clothes and serious expressions on their faces.

“Mr. Jeon, Mrs. Jeon, let me introduce you the newest addition to our staff. Mr. Kim will be the personal driver of Miss Jeon from now on,” the assistant introduced them and Hanbin didn’t forget to bow deeply in front of his new employers.

“I hope he will deal with her better than the earlier ones,” the woman muttered and it peaked the boy’s interest. How bad that girl could have been to chase away his previous drivers? He sure hoped she wouldn’t be some annoying twelve-year-old with an obsession about idols because he might not take that too well either.

“Welcome, Mr. Kim. I hope you will ensure my daughter’s safety and make sure she follows her schedule,” Mr. Jeon reached for his hand and shook on it firmly.

“I will try my best, sir,” Hanbin nodded and started to get slightly nervous from all this big fuss around the whole situation. Not to mention that the man in front of him looked strangely familiar but he couldn’t tell from where.

“This is the car key. You will get it every morning here and have to hand it in after your working hours. And this is your work phone. Make sure to be always available. It has every number in it you need and you get Miss Jeon’s schedule texted to you the day before. You can find today’s in the calendar app already,” the assistant handed him the two items but before he could check what’s his exact job for today, footsteps echoed on the staircase closeby.

“Soyeon, your new driver is here. Don’t you dare sneak out!” Mrs. Jeon raised her voice and when Hanbin lifted his head to see who caused this stir in the motion, his jaw almost dropped. “And how many times do I have to tell you not to dress like that in university?”

Hanbin’s mind barely recognized all the complaints the woman made as his eyes got fixed on the slim figure ascending the stairs. The girl wore leather pants with crop top and a jacket thrown over her shoulders. She flipped her long, black hair with such elegance only their kind had as her gaze lazily settled on the small crowd in the living room.

Her sharp gaze met Hanbin’s only for a moment but he could tell she recognized him, too. There was a moment hesitation in her movements before her perfect mask was back on.

“I don’t have time to get changed. I’m out,” she turned her back to them and walked in confident strides towards the garage. She had the same fire in her that burnt when her brother lost that stupid bet. That was actually quite impressive.

“Good luck, Mr. Kim,” the politician - oh of course, how could he not recognize him? - ushered the driver to go after her and it was the first time since he got the job that Hanbin actually thought he will need luck to deal with it.

Because now he got to drive around the girl who was offered to him as a prize, the girl he thought he would never see again, the girl who had been on his mind more times than he would like to admit.