Chapter 10

No Speed Limit

 

Jeon Soyeon was more confused, sadder and angrier than ever. She thought she knew her brother well enough to be able to tell the things he’d do, and despite the fact that Seungyeon was never a saint to begin with, arson was just too much. She didn’t understand how someone could be so full of hate and evilness to even think of setting a fire to a place with bunch of people inside. This wasn’t one of his petty little crimes he had committed before and no one really cared about, it was an attempted homicide that could have gone very wrong if the fire wasn’t noticed in time. She felt herself at fault, and no matter what Hanbin tried to tell her, she knew this whole thing was on her. She was the one who angered Seungyeon not thinking of the consequences because of course he would get his revenge one way or another, but she would have never thought it would involve other people as well. A line had to be drawn somewhere, and the decision was completely in Soyeon’s hands, buried deep inside her jacket pocket that felt heavier by each passing second while she was unable to make up her mind.

Was she willing considering that even after all the horrible things he had done and said to her he was her own flesh and blood? Was it worth to sacrifice her morals and her love for Hanbin just to save their family name and a brother who hated her? No matter how you decide, I love you too, she closed her eyes remembering Hanbin’s words, then looked down at the river that seemed so calm she truly envied it. She glanced at the pendrive she barely managed to fish out with trembling hands and back at the river, wondering how many unwanted things did it already swallow and kept as a secret through its life. Whether one more or one less thing ended up added to that list, the decision was literally laying in her hands in these moments.

She shook her head sighing. There was no turning back now.


 

The big race everyone was talking about on the streets came in no time, and even bigger - if not the actual biggest - crowd gathered to cheer for the ones they wanted to win. Everyone who participated were all skillful and talented drivers, but Soyeon knew they had no chance winning against her man. She had seen Hanbin drive and race so many times she easily lost track of the number, and he definitely wasn’t famous for losing.

Soyeon felt a little odd and out of place having to face the car repair shop crew as they had no idea her brother was the one behind ruining their life, if they did she doubted they would have still acted so friendly with her. The small change in her behaviour was noticeable for most of them, but luckily they thought it was because of something else.

“Don’t worry, girl! Hanbin’s a pro, he got this,” Bobby put his hand around her shoulder, lightly squeezing it to try and cheer her up. Oh how sweet he was caring about Soyeon and thinking nervousness was the reason she suddenly became quiet, when in reality the race was the least of her worries. She knew Hanbin got this, of course he did, her man was the best after all, he had her full trust. She knew Hanbin is going to be the winner, he just had to be, he deserved this after the things he had to go through in his life, and she couldn’t let herself to think in another way. Today wasn’t the day she could afford being all pessimistic and melancholic, Hanbin shouldn’t see her like that, so keeping that in mind was the only thing that made her answer Bobby with her chin held up high like the proud girlfriend she was.

“Yeah, you’re right. He’s so going to humiliate everyone out on the field,” she smirked at Bobby, who reciprocated the act while fist-bumping her. They continued talking which really helped her forget everything that was on her mind, Bobby acting like the brother she never had, it had gotten to a certain point where she wished he was her brother instead of the douchebag Seungyeon. Everything would have been so much easier that way.

Soyeon glanced around to see what the rest of them was doing while waiting for the race to start: Hanbin was immersed in a conversation with Yuna and Haesoo examining the opponents, Jinhwan was shamelessly flirting with the very flustered Junhoe after meeting him only half an hour ago, but Soyeon had no plans on saving him, the boy needed to socialize more and it was evident he enjoyed the situation just wasn’t so good at expressing his feelings properly.

Just before it would have been Hanbin’s turn to sit behind the wheel first tonight, an all too familiar car showed up next to them with an even more familiar crew getting out of it. Soyeon clenched both her fists upon recognizing Seungyeon’s group Hanbin was by her side in no time, saying something to her she couldn’t hear. All she focused on was her brother whom she didn’t see since they watched the recording. All kinds of feelings swirled inside of her, the noise of the outside world got blocked out and only Seungyeon existed in the spotlight only a few meters away from her. When they made eye contact and he had the nerve to smirk at his sister, sending some condescending looks at their way, something snapped in her. The fingers trying to gently pull her back were no use, she freed her arm and practically sprinted towards her brother.

“What the hell are you doing here?” She really had to hold herself back from hitting Seungyeon as she stopped so close to him that she definitely violated all the rules of personal sphere. Resisting the urge to wipe that annoying smile off of his face with her nails was the hardest thing she had ever faced in her life, somehow Seungyeon always managed to bring this side out of her even when she was usually peaceful.

This race meant so much more to Hanbin than any of the past ones he participated in given the big prize, even though Soyeon was willing to go and invade her bank account to give all the money he needed to him, she understood why he wanted do this alone and that just made her fell in love with him more. He could have easily took her offer, using her to get what he wanted, but that clearly wasn’t his attention, so she’d be damned if she let Seungyeon mess this big opportunity up for him, especially that he didn’t need the money.

“What do you think I am doing here, lil sis? Racing, as everyone else.” Seungyeon enjoyed this way too much for Soyeon’s liking, he acted innocent intentionally, but it was all in vain as no one was that dumb to believe him anymore. They all knew Jeon Seungyeon only meant trouble.

“No, you’re not! Get out of here!” Soyeon practically whisper yelled at him, stepping closer until their shoulders were brushing against each other. Everyone around them remained silent, watching the interesting turn of events with hawk eyes, except for a couple of friends who rather worried about the girl.

“Why? Are you afraid I will defeat your little boy toy over there?” His eyes moved from her to find someone standing in the crowd behind and when he did, that annoying smirk was back on his face again.

“Huh, why would I be afraid? He beat you for the first time, what makes you think he wouldn’t for the second as well?” Soyeon had the ability to rile up her brother like no one could, and lately it definitely wasn’t in their favor. At least she knew he wouldn’t do anything big in front of big crowds, but that didn’t mean he quit acting true to himself.

Seungyeon took his cigarette out of his mouth and blew the smoke in Soyeon’s face who turned her head away with a disgusted grimace, listening to her brother’s obnoxious laugh.

“Alright then, little sister. I think I should get my rematch then, see if he can win you again this time as well, huh?” Soyeon saw it coming, but could do nothing to prevent it. He grabbed her arms not so gently and pushed her behind him, she bumped into a chest and hissed, but her brother’s crew was quick to surround them.

Hanbin and Bobby immediately started off towards them, but was soon stopped by Seungyeon.

“Easy there, lover boy. I only gave her for one night, if you want her for more than that you have to earn her fair and square,” he grinned, shrugging his shoulders as if it was just a simple game to him. Which kind of was, considering that he only cared about things that entertained him, and making his sister as a bet’s prize was certainly one of them. They couldn’t be sure they will race against each other during the night because it depended on many things, but at that moment no one cared; they could always hold their own little race after this if it was necessary.

Everyone eyed the two man coming chest to chest warily, they persistently held the eye contact for a long minute before Hanbin looked away, searching for Soyeon’s gaze in this big mess. When he found those sad and super angry chocolate brown eyes, the only thing holding him back from beating the out of Seungyeon was the little headshake Soyeon gave, and the pleading look in her gorgeous orbs. It was fascinating how they understood each other without words at this point, Hanbin had to remind himself that Soyeon wouldn’t want him to blew up this race just because he had to save her from her brother. She could stand up for herself, that much was for sure, but still, it didn’t mean he was going to let anyone treat his girl like a ragdoll. Especially not Jeon Douchebag Seungyeon.

“Fine. But after this, you’ll leave her and us alone for good,” the rock solid look in Hanbin’s eyes would have scared every other people away, but Seungyeon wasn’t one back off either. He was rather amused by this whole situation. Did that punk Kim Hanbin really think he could ever get his sister? She was an upper class girl, and if anything, Hanbin should have been kissing the trace of her feet, nothing more.

If you win.”

“If I win,” Hanbin had no choice but to repeat the words to please Seungyeon, they couldn’t afford a long banter just because his pride got in the way.

“Deal,” Seungyeon was utterly delighted, looking like he was really out of his mind. Soyeon now had no doubts he had gone crazy. This wasn’t her brother. He was acting like a lunatic and it was only a matter of time someone else would realize it too.

Thus Soyeon found herself spending the whole competition next to his brother who luckily didn’t pay attention to her, he was busy whispering something with his clowns, but he looked utterly tensed so he must have felt his sister shooting daggers at his back with her stern glare. When she wasn’t too immersed in doing that, her eyes would occasionally connect with Hanbin’s ones or even Junhoe’s, both looking quite worried in their own ways, so she flashed them a bit forced but kind smiles to soothe their nerves. This wasn’t how she pictured the night, she wished to be at Hanbin’s side, cheering him whenever it was his turn to sit behind the wheel, still her chest swelled with pride every time he won a race, and unfortunately, he wasn’t the only one shining tonight. Seungyeon beat all of his opponents with ease, not forgetting to rub it in her face every time he came back too high from the victory, so Soyeon didn’t hesitate either to remind him his luck won’t last. Especially when the final battle appeared to be between Hanbin and Seungyeon, Soyeon just couldn’t let her brother jump in the car without making sure he knew her full support was directed towards another man. It might had something to do with the fact that she was aware of how he lost focus if he was angry or something diverted his attention.

“Wish me luck, little sister,” he turned towards her before shutting the car’s door, a cocky smile blemishing his features. She stepped to him, leaned in the window so the conversation was only heard by the two of them. He waited expectantly with a brow raised, but oh no, Soyeon wasn’t going to give him what he wanted.

“The only thing I wish you is that you drive faster than you set a fire so cameras can’t catch you this time,” she said, an evil smirk settling on her lips, watching with delight as his face became distorted. “Good luck doing that, bro,” she patted his arm hanging out on the window before pulling back, catching Hanbin looking at them from his own car. She formed a heart with her fingers and winked at him which made Hanbin shake his head laughing quietly to himself. His girl was crazy, but he wouldn’t have changed her for the world.

Soyeon didn’t look back at her brother, she could imagine him boiling with anger already, seeing that would have only upset her more. It’s not like she didn’t trust Hanbin could win a second time against Seungyeon, but why not make sure that her brother had no chance? Also, she couldn’t miss this opportunity to rub the fire in his face, to let him know his sins will be not forgiven and forgotten, this was a pity revenge on her part but she wanted to see him fall apart under the pressure of fearing his crimes would get unnecessary publicity. He deserved to suffer for what he did with the car repair shop and Soyeon selfishly wanted to be the one to stake that dagger through his ice-cold heart.

With his natural talent and experience, Hanbin easily won the final race, becoming the youngest champion to ever win this competition, and Soyeon didn’t even wait for them to announce him as the winner, as soon as he was out of the car she threw herself at him, hugging, kissing him and clinging to him not planning on letting go.

“You did it, babe!” She yelled half laughing and half crying in absolute joy that ended in a girly squeal as Hanbin picked her up and spun her around. “I’m so so so proud of you!”

“And that’s all I need,” Hanbin pressed a kiss to her forehead then let his friends congratulate and envelope him in big hugs as well. Everyone was cheering loudly, expressing their happiness towards Hanbin, of course there were people not entirely glad with the outcome, but what mattered that important people were always ready to support him.

When the loud noises died down a little and Hanbin got his well-deserved prize, even posing for a couple of pictures with the cheque, it was time to face Seungyeon again.

“I won fair and square, again, so now it’s your turn to fulfill your part of the deal. Leave us alone,” Hanbin walked over to him with Soyeon wrapped up in his arms. They were practically attached to each other at this point.

But before anyone could have reacted, loud sirens broke through the silence of the night and police cars pulled up by their side, making a lot of people from the crowd run away in fear. They had no reason to worry though, despite all the illegal races smaller crews did, this one was at least somewhat known and not sabotaged by the locals as long as they stayed out of the busy streets of downtown. So what the hell was the police doing there?

Two plainclothes officers walked up to them, looking straight at the one person they were after, which shocked the most people sticking around. Rich kids usually didn’t get in trouble even if they were guilty.

“Jeon Seungyeon, turn around, you’re under arrest for arson and attempted homicide. You have the right to remain silence and if you don’t have a lawyer, the court will assign you one.”

Shocked gasps could be heard from everywhere, loud murmurs ran through the crowd and all kinds of whispers hit Soyeon’s ear, who managed to shut them out. This was the moment she was waiting for ever since that morning she stopped by the police station to hand the pendrive over. However, Seungyeon was smart enough to figure that out too.

“You did this, didn’t you? You !” He lunged at Soyeon, but before he could have touched her, Hanbin blocked his way and punched him in the face. The little ruckus this action caused was cut off by the detectives, putting cuffs on Seungyeon and other officers clearing the way for them to lead him to the car. They practically had to drag him out as he wasn’t willing to move, spitting threats at them, throwing in his father’s name and cursing at Soyeon. “This is not over, ! Hear me? This is not over, I’m your brother! You’re going to pay for this!”

But in reality, he was the one who was going to pay for his crimes because even their father wasn’t able to bail him out of this. Seungyeon was going away for good, and all Soyeon could do was watching the police take him with a smile on her face. A calm kind of one, and despite him being her brother, her chest was suddenly lighter like she just got rid of the weight pulling her down.

“You gave him up.”

Soyeon looked up at Hanbin, only nodding her head. This topic didn’t need further discussions, it was evident why she did it, her morals couldn’t let her keep this serious information to herself, but what made her make the final move was her strong love for Hanbin. The way he hugged the life out of her after confirming the obvious just reassured her she made the right choice.



 

After the police arrested Seungyeon, life never was the same for Soyeon at home. Her parents became more unbearable, blaming her for everything behind closed doors and singing praises of her bravery out in public interviews and statements. But this kind of behaviour was the reason she didn’t regret choosing Hanbin over them. Despite not knowing him for that long, he became more his family than her real one had ever been.

It was three days after the competition and the arrest of the Gangnam mayor’s son made the news when Hanbin came up with an idea.

“Let’s elope.”

“What?” Soyeon laughed in disbelief. Hanbin was really suggesting that while cuddling on the hood of his car, watching the stars at night? Looks like the boy was full of surprises.

“I’m serious! I have nothing left here after the car repair shop was burned down and the situation with your parents is really getting out of hand. So why not go? We can do whatever we want with the money I won.”

That was true. Hanbin had a lot of money left even after completely paying off his debts, but Soyeon had never thought about leaving everything behind just like that. Though one look at Hanbin’s face was enough to know the answer. She wanted to spend an eternity and even more with him and the place didn’t really matter.

“I love you more than anything, babe,” Hanbin took her hands in his and pressed gentle kisses to her knuckles.

“I love you too,” Soyeon smiled back.

So that was how they drove off into night, each only bringing a hastily collected bag with them, only sending some hurried texts to their friends to tell them not to worry about them. If they were together, they could overcome any kind of hardships life threw their way.

And now, this was just the beginning of their story.

 

END.