Untitled

Non Compos Mentis

Flowers held more than just colors and fragrance. What was it for her?

It was... her favorite flower.

At a white four cornered room, two stands with eyes held in a ton of emotions, their only thoughts were the flower that was last spoken by the patient inches shorter than the doctor. The white-coated who recently just woke up was bewildered. Wendy who was lost as a new revelation come into Irene's own mouth. It was truly surprising, a reason to be more quiet. The scent of the lily was far from gone now, an aroma that she liked nowadays. is now her new enemy.

It was their usual atmosphere, silence. The window creaked open because of the morning wind, it was the only thing that disturbs their little treat of eye exchange that had no words intend to communicate with. But it did have many feelings that reluctantly, in small pieces, that gives off versions of what they were thinking at the moment. However, with those mixed feeling, they didn't understand one another. It was as if an example of a couple consumed with anger, blinded and words were just passing their ears. But, they were far from a couple. A relationship that is complicated, problematic, and irritating.

"You'd rather indirectly hurt me than say what you want. So tell me, what do you - really want?" It boiled until it overflowed. Irene was a person who held her reign of emotion in the bottom of her heart but it was hard now especially when she was with someone who wants to see the real her. The other was stunned yet again, a predictable reaction. She was going in the flow with their conversation. Irene's sarcasticness was a trait she had gotten used to and was a way for her to express.

Just how many would this latter reveal that'll repeatedly make her surprise all day long?

"I am complicated, I admit that. But it has reasons. Reasons that, maybe, you'll never know." Wendy felt knives stabbing her with salt in its edge. Irene's choice of words was painful and a guaranteed attack for the person who stands before her. It was what she intended at the start to see Wendy in pain. She was soft-hearted at times, but she knew the doctor's intentions was to gain money from knowing her past, that's what Irene thought. It hurt her as she thinks that way but her mind processed the situation in a different way.

"I-I..." Finally, Wendy found her voice amidst a powerful attack. She was expecting another utter from the bold however Irene mindfully listen to her stuttering.

"I'm sorry." Words couldn't express what she was feeling right now. It was so mixed that she could only apologize in her unpurpose act towards Irene.

Nothing could explain what her heart wants to know as well. A sense of guilt however mixed with pain and disappointment. A tight squeeze in the chest that didn't physically hurt her but emotionally did. It was weird how she was feeling this way. She was hurt by her words but it was something more. Something that Wendy doesn't understand now.

-

Wendy was floating mid air while the dark background made her think she was in a blackhole. She tried  moving but restrains were as if on her hands and feet. It kept her in the same place. A voice gladly tried to sooth her worries.

"Seungwan, talk to me. " It was her. The one she had loved once before. Someone who was dear but still broke her heart. A beautiful person who acted cold when they met but gradually opened and bloomed a relationship that surprisingly ended after five years. A date Wendy will remember is not only the death of her mother but also her first break-up, Feburary 17.

Jennie, her ex-girlfriend, was calling for her. She would be unhonest if she say she haven't been missing her lately especially how difficult it was to manage all the burden of family circumstances, actual work, and  their complicated on and off relationship. Seungwan missed her dearly in those lonely times. She would usually bring energy from time to time at her humbled office bringing anything that could make her smile.

She wasn't certain how many months since their break-up, it bothered her a little on why she didn't remember since she did know the when they broke up. However, she loved her very much to still remain in her memories.

"Seungwan-ah, wake up." She called again but Wendy still didn't move.

"I love you. I really do." It echoed through her ears and into her mind. Wendy wanted to reply but it was like she was in no one's concscious. "I'm sorry." She whispered and whimpered as she finishes her regret message.

Steps were unaudible as possible, she observed. The person was being careful. "Yah... unnie." She cautiously said.

"Wake up." Almost instantly, I felt my chest in great pain. It was forcing me to see what was currently happening. It was as if it was forcing her to emerge at the surface.

-

She glance sideways to sideways and saw a familiar extravagent room. It was decorated like how it was when she stayed in her minority. Wendy reminices those times when her sister and herself were awkward at the sudden respect and valuing of their presence.

After the calamity of their mother's death, their father did try to put their family into place. But, he wasn't able to financially and emotionally support her two daughters. He was forced to lower his pride and with her two daughters in hand inside the mansion, he asked his mother and father for help.

This was where she stayed. Well, until she revolted against an idea of possession.

"Unnie, wake up. Are you okay?" The door was relentlessly being knocked by her sister, Jisoo. She seems to worry if I did something out of the situation.

"Come in." Instantly banged, she opened the door only to see the image of a hurt latter fading into her mind.

"Grandmother seems to teach you manners while, I was away. You would usually barge in my room." Wendy closed her eyes and threw herself again to the soft mattress far different from her bed now.

"Grandma did a great job in cleansing my childish soul." She chuckled in response after sighing a breathy relief over the realization her sister was okay.

"So, isn't two days already enough for resting? Does a psychologist have a light stone in their hands?" Jisoo asks while sitting on the bed joining her sister at the usual comfy she also have.

"Reality check, we, psychologists, are probably useless. We talk and comfort to make a living. Our pay checks are low for a reason." Wendy's finger clasp the bridge of her nose and trouble she signed towards the latter.

Jisoo wanted to in as the other was looking so solemn this days. God knows how she was surprise when a call coming from her fled sister asking to let her stay in the main mansion. She couldn't imagine her coming again and yet she did.

She first thought it was about her financials. Maybe, she couldn't afford renting an apartment anymore. But, the sister she knew worked too hard and even over her expectations.

Second thoughts were about Seungwan and Jennie. Wendy once said to her sister that the apartment has too many memories of being together. So, it might've been on how she wanted to forget her completely. However, Jisoo wouldn't believe that her older sister would miss the latter. Jennie brought too much pain. 

Jisoo trusts her sister enough to not think of her ex-girlfriend anymore. So, she only thought.

In reply to her seemingly sleeping sister but was actually awake, she grabbed the opportunity to wake the girl up from her wanting escape to reality. 

"Useless, hmm. People have their own purpose, that's what I learned while running a million earning company. I seem important but I just sign documents. I don't get what I want if my employee didn't do their jobs."

"You," Jisoo pointed to her laying older sister's chest and continued, "found your purpose but lost it in the heat of the situation. What you do is what you do best, unnie. It does give you some charming points when your at work. You constantly think of other instead of your own problematic world."

She didn't mind the advice given from a person two years younger than her.

Wendy only thought on how many years have she missed as her childish younger sister turned so mature. It was an advice that upright made her think of Irene. After their conversation, she didn't have the courage to look Irene in her eyes. Her apology was sincere, indeed, no question in it.

She though they were okay but everything seems to get destroyed after she tries to pick up stack after stack. Irene opened her side for a little while and lashed afterwards of Wendy's own mistake in frustration of realizing what she has revealed to the thought untrustworthy person.

Wendy realized that it was her mistake, afterall. She wanted to get closer to Irene but did she really show any signs of wanting to get to know her more than being a client relationship.

She did but it was always indirectly.

She remembered. When they got out of her suffocating room in the hospital, they stayed outside at the garden and she saw how Irene disliked the sunlight. She said back then, "I won't force you. But I'll at least ask of you to enjoy and breath than scare off the nurses again." The end was an extra statement that meant entirely nothing in an insult way. But it does sound like Wendy was hurting her looking back.

Straightforwardly. Confidently. 

Jisoo stares patiently and with an accomplishing smile after she saw a little curve brought on Wendy's lips. It worked what she said.

"Unnie, you should buy me food after you resolved whatever's in your mind.

 

Walking off to a hallway she'd seen for many times, she was in a total nerve-wreck. She requested a three days off because of obvious reason. To avoid the angry Irene, to let them cool down a bit after the enfolded event, to find what they truly want.

Sure, it would look like she was running away. But, she did return and was... half-ready.

Room 401, it says. A plate that sticks out at the mid upper area of the white colored door. What was she to do?

Should I knock?

Should I just open it?

Should I just run off?

The third choice was surely not applicable. It did come through her mind but, she would never try it. It would just prove that it would be her fault which is actually true.

Shooking her head, she got her mind to only one thing.

Irene.

"Stop, messing around. Come here right now." From inside, Irene had heard everything. Wendy was seemingly talking unconsciously and really outloud. She was startled by the sudden voice and glance around as a reflex.

Wendy knew it was whom she feared from those three days. The woman that brought many undescribable touch inside to the surface.

With a little breath in, her hands that held the silver knob slowly twisted for an entrance to the awaiting latter.

"Finally," Irene rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed at the coward latter who opened the door in a rather polite way with both hand on the knob showing how she was nervous around the woman.

After it happened, Irene saw how different Wendy acted in front of her. Wendy would purposely have reasons to leave after being with her for five minutes. She'll talk whilst her eyes not focusing towards her. She'd speak formally with her and in a rather monotonous way. Wendy held a distance between them.

Now that the latter was here and was actually looking directly at her eyes instead of the reluctant eyes that kept looking around.

Irene was stunned.

Those brown orbs of Wendy hold a sense of confidence, realization, and finality as if she was in the page of conclusion. It charmed her those attractive eyes, a straight posture far different from her hesitant stance, hands that didn't shake nervously at the situation.

It was too awkward to speak since they haven't seen each other and when they do, an issue always was in front of them. The atmosphere is understandable with thoughts junbled up within. But Irene slips a word out.

"Wendy..."

Wendy was shaken back a bit as Irene had never properly called her like that. It was softly caring like Irene had missed Wendy despite the days being only three.

"Irene..." She returned. Footsteps of Wendy came close to the latter who was in bed covered by the white sheet. It halted in front of her. The distance between them was safe and was hand reached.

Irene didn't say anything as she was flambbergasted at the upfront action. She shivered, was it the air conditioner or the anticipation?

"Should I start?" Wendy seriously said leaving Irene in wonders of what it meant.

"Start what?"

"My real name's Seungwan." Irene still didn't get the message the other was trying to imply, Wendy continued.

"I'm 25 years old, busy in life without any romance in her. I ran off from my family to tired from the burden at the age of 18. I did my best to live, proudly to say, I'm hardworking. With enough money, I finished but honestly, still have a long way to go."

Wendy clasps her hand slightly caressing her right thumb, she stood nervously. Everything she was saying had its desperation and dread.

"I-I still have a long way to go. So, I'm sorry!" It was not like, her before apology, was not from the heart but Irene thought the apology was forced out from the situation. This time, though, she felt her sincerity.

Who wouldn't think so, though? A person bowing ninety degrees, hands at the side and with closed eyes afraid what awaits Irene's next move.

Who wouldn't felt it?

Suddenly, she straightened herself and an eyes that made Irene flinch a little showed determination and perserverance. 

"I decided that I'll get to know you first."

"What?" Dumbfoundedly said.

"Irene, you might not care but I really care. I want to know who you are... who is really the Irene. I only know the person who stays in her room, who hates the sun, who always make the nurse ran off from just her shout, who gets so sarcastic with me, who occasionally smile but fearfully fade it off, who would cry but don't wanna show it again, who's afraid to show who she is."

Wendy breath in and out, it was only a few seconds sentence but she was still tired or might be the nervous getting into her. Irene was expressionless. But that is now something she fears.

She still continued though.

"Show me another side that'll surprise me again. I'll wait until then. God knows how I'm patient, I hope I show it to you as well."