Lilith

Non Compos Mentis

Saving one's life isn't only about medicines and surgeries. I'm amazed at other professional doctors who make pills to prevent the spreading of microbes, cutting of the skin to remove any abnormalities inside and patching it up later on. It is amazing and interesting if you think about it. However, those two astonishing deeds aren't my line of work as a doctor.

I am a twenty years old woman named as 'WendySon Seungwan. 

To explain what I do on an everyday basis, I talk, comfort, analyze their data and diagnose nature. I've been doing this for four years and I've encountered many cases involving disorder, addiction, emotional problems. In my case, I am quite proud of my emotional reading.

However, I have this new client. You could see she had experienced a lot of things because of her outside demeanour. She's an expressionless latter who bears only hate to people around her. That is one fact that I've gotten to know over this month I've spent with her.

"Doctor Wendy, Irene is waiting." A nurse came warning me. I took notice of my silver watch and saw it was nearly noon. I would be occupied with Irene until the end of the day.

"I'll catch up. Open the window in her room. It should help to let her breath once in a while. I'll go to the garden first."

She nodded and walked off upstairs to Room 401, where Irene usually is.

 

The garden outside was filled with colourful scented flowers. Patients don't usually go here since the smell is quite strong and only look at their beauty from afar. I usually spend my free time here and pick a flower to change Irene's old one.

A white flower captured my eyes as it stands proudly within a group of red roses. It seems like a lonely caged flower who needs help. I plucked it out and looked at it with great amazement as it was accidentally mixed in the roses. I showed a little smirk as I remember a little latter - a lily. (R.a.J)

When I went inside her room, I saw her resting on the bed and the opened window let the wind freely move inside. Her expressionless face was far gone and a pleasant smile is plastered. She seems to dream something nice. I smiled as she was so different when she's awake.

Before she feels my presence, I quickly changed the vase and the wilted flower inside. I threw the used water and filled it again at the restroom. After seconds I placed the container with the new flower on the round wooden table, the room smells immediately with a pleasant scent. I closed my eyes and look outside, enjoying the breeze with toppings of lilies.

"How carefree for a doctor."

"I could not retort to that." I turned around not surprise at the sudden disturbance of the meek woman. She had a great instinct when people are around. "It seems like you had a great dream, Irene," I informed. If I wasn't so sharp, I wouldn't have noticed the hardly seen startle.

"Oh? I didn't dream anything at all."

"Well, I might be wrong."

"You are wrong." Stubborn as always.

 

"So why are we here?" Irene basks under the sun like for the first time as she holds the umbrella tightly. She seems to disgust the sunlight onto her skin. "I won't force you. But I'll at least ask of you to enjoy and breath than scare off the nurses again." She rolled her eyes but slowly complied to my demands.

This is our daily routine, how we get so sarcastic to each other, throwing back anything to the latter but without crossing the line we had on guard. We don't get too far off the uncomfortable topics. Questions like, how did you come here, is a forbidden talk for both of us.

She truly is a rare case. On my way to my last patient, I saw the pair that admitted her in. They were quite stared at due to their expensive looking outfits and their immediate shout as they enter. While making a ruckus, they didn't forget holding their glaring daughter.

Their eyes filled with worry and frustration as they talk to the front counter about issues that I don't have a part to. The next day, I find myself chatting to our chief executive about her and I've taken her in my arms.

However, the folder that contains brief information about the client wasn't given to me. The only thing that I know about her is that she despises people by showing her infamous glare, her stubbornness, and her name: Irene.

"Hey! Snap out of it!" Instantly, I saw Irene in front of my face. Surprise by the approximate, I stumble and groaned as the searing pain in my bum floats in. I turned to the culprit who surprises the hell out of me. However, more than being angry, I was shocked. Her expression is different from what I've seen so far. She's smiling or... chuckling. Both expressions that I don't recognize.

"Look at your face!" She laughed. But it slowly became a frown as she notices my confused look. "What are you looking at?" Her voice is filled with venom and a guarded tone can be heard. Though, I don't know what's on her mind. I know the movements of a human being. She's trying to hide it her nervousness and fright.

"Nothing, help me?" I brushed the thought off and extended my hand, asking her to help me out. Her eyes were contemplating to take it or not and squirm uncomfortably. Before I could say it was okay and I could manage to stand on my own, I heard shouts that say my name.

A nurse from before called me over and signed me it was an important matter. As I understood what she meant, I stood up and dust off my white coat from the ground. "Irene, our time is shortened. Let's go back to your room." I tucked my hands in the pocket of my coat and walked off knowingly that Irene would follow behind.

She certainly did so.

It was quiet while we walk. I have a limited time to think of what happened a while ago. I knew that her lips weren't capable of curved twinkles however she showed me the otherwise. But then, it was surely dazzling.

Smiling on my mind, we finally reached her room's door. "I'll leave now," I said in a hurry and turned around without waiting for a reply from the latter because we took our time walking to her unit. I already see doctors from the other department complaining about my lack of compliance and tardiness.

Instead of leaving, I find myself stuck in a bewildering situation.

I look back and found her hanging her head in embarrassment with her fingers tugging my white coat. opened but closes. She did it repeatedly while I wait patiently forgetting the meeting I was about to miss.

"I-I... I'll lend you my hand, next time."

As she says those words, I remember how I stumble and fell miserably. When I extended my arms for help, I was confronted with nothing. In the end, I helped myself.

Though, I knew that the line was still an unspoken rule to both of us. I forced the chain dangling around my arms to loosen up and cross the void. My right hand find itself on top of her head. I brushed off her messy hair from the breeze outside.

"Sure, I know you will," I said in a light tone and smiled. It was not an intimate skinship as what I felt. It was more likely a mother-child pat.

 

"I apologize for my tardiness." I bowed as a sign of forgiveness to other representatives of other wards who's been waiting for some time and took a seat. I took a glance to the man in his fifties sitting at the middle chair looking so superior. He seems so disinterest at every report of the spokesperson. He only played at the paper in front of him.

As the report was done, the lights slowly show themselves again and the projector full of whatnot was nowhere. Representatives were waiting for any response.

Compliments for what they've done.

Promotions on the spot.

Research funds, even.

However, he didn't give any. Instead, he called out for me which I may say angered some. "Wendy," His stern voice echoed the silenced room. I stood up shaken by the sudden call. I took a slight glance at my surroundings and everyone was murmuring.

"Seungwan, how's Irene doing?"

As I heard my real name being called, I answered back with full of familiarity. "Abeoji, do you have to ask now?" I asked as I notice the annoyance of some. "I certainly need to. Her family will be coming here."

This will be the first time to see Irene with her family. Other than the past instance where her family bought the latter with chaos.

"I see. She is doing fine." I prefer to say nothing else anymore and to tell a neutral comment. I wasn't to expose my patient whereabouts in front of a dozen people.

He commanded me to sit down and he continued the meeting by commenting about medicines and quality of the hospital. By so, it ended pretty much without any rewards nor promotion for the anticipating doctor.

"Having a family member from a high position, no wonder she had to receive her doctoral degree at such a young age. She should be ashamed." A familiar remark was uttered with the same jealousy tone I've heard for years. It wasn't anything new. I didn't mind the latter from his loud comment about me.

"Hey! Geezer, you might be fired. Talking about the head's daughter would be a taboo. You might find yourself enlightened at the streets." Jennie, a paediatrician and what I consider as a friend, mockingly told the man with the same white coat.

"Hmph!" He stormed out with his pride crushed. Others snickered, chuckled, and laughed from the event enfolded at their eyes.

Jennie swung her arm to my neck and wrap it around to shoulder until the other end. This wasn't new as well. Her possessive side appeared at the very time when the last person in the room excused himself. "You're mine."

"Stop, Jennie." I held her arm that engulfed me and tried to escape from its trapping chains. "No. Stay, it has been too long." When she softly said those lines, I remember the long gone memory starting to crawl again.

"Let go. Our past is different from the now."

"It is. But, I live from the past."

"That's restraining."

"After years of practice, it's not that hard to be rejected again and again. So you may speak all you want but, I would just persistently take you and hold you as I like."

Her hands continuously slid down at a dangerous slowly phase and dropped upon my waist. Her movement was flipped to welcome into ual wants. Her acts were making me unbelievably bothered.

"Kiss me."

"Please, stop this."

"I order you. Follow." Her commanding voice halted me from moving away. It was the same tone when I would search for punishments and rewards. It was the tone I would follow even though pain is what I receive from the act.

It was a turn on. A fragment to remember my way in bed.