Chapter 15

Love Like Confetti
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘I don’t know what to do,’ Mei whined to Baekhyun, who’d taken to walking her back since Sehun was in detention these days.

‘Luhan still hasn’t replied to any single message I’ve left him. He didn’t even answer my calls.’ She pouted pathetically.

Baekhyun tutted in sympathy, offering her the cotton candy he’d gotten his hands on. ‘I think… well, maybe he’s trying to give you space?’

‘That’s a terrible way of doing it,’ Mei snapped, then sighed. ‘Sorry, it’s not your fault.’

‘Luhan’s hardly known for his people skills,’ he said. ‘I honestly think it’s all that lack of confettisioning catching up to him.’

Mei, who’d opened to complain some more, shut it, distracted. ‘How come?’

‘Well, it’s actually Lay’s theory but he says that confettisioning once in a while, especially during adolescence, is part of the natural development. So, if someone doesn’t do it, they’re probably emotionally stunted… or something.’

‘Hm…’ Mei wondered aloud. ‘So you’re saying that Luhan’s…’

‘Emotionally stunted? Duh. Haven’t you seen how he panics when he has to deal with somebody’s confession?’

‘I always figured it was because he’d had enough.’

Baekhyun shrugged. ‘So did we but I think Lay might be on to something here.’ They walked together in amicable silence for a while before Baekhyun broached the other topic of her daily whining. ‘What about Sehun and Minyoung?’

Mei slumped her shoulders. ‘I don’t know. Minyoung’s acting like everything is fine but I just know that she’s pretending to be brave. This has got to be killing her!’

‘And Sehun?’ he prompted, offering her more candy. She took it easily, letting the sugar dissolve on her tongue.

‘Sehun is actually the same as before and I still think he likes Minyoung... Ugh, this is all so confusing.’ She grabbed her hair and pulled. Baekhyun nodded. ‘Glad it’s not me in your place.’

‘Why couldn’t they actually talk to me like you did?’

‘Well, I chased after you when you ran off,’ Baekhyun said seriously. ‘Did you chase after either of them?’

Mei opened to respond, then shut it. ‘Huh. You’re right.’ She kept quiet, thinking. Baekhyun let her, knowing she’d burst out soon as she figured something out.

‘Ah, that makes so much sense. When Luhan confettisioned on me, I was too stunned at first. And then, he attacked Sehun, so the confettision was completely pushed aside.’

He nodded encouragingly. ‘And?’

‘But I texted him that night, I said I’d like to talk to him.’

‘You were very angry at Luhan from what I remember.’

‘Well, duh. He’d beaten Sehun up.’

‘And then…?’

‘Well, I had totally planned to talk to Luhan after they settled matters with the principal but Sehunnie confettisioned on me the very next day. I know Luhan saw that. So did Minyoung.’

‘And?’

‘I couldn’t go after either of them because Sehun was so upset, I felt like I couldn’t leave him.’

‘Can you see how Luhan might perceive this?’

Mei sighed dejectedly. ‘Yeah, it seems like I have a thing for Sehun.’

‘Sehun’s confettision doesn’t help.’

Mei let out a morose, ‘no it doesn’t.’

‘Well, I think you should talk to Sehun first.’

‘Why?’

‘You don’t seem to have any feelings for him, just like you didn’t seem to have any feelings for me, even though you confettisioned on me.’

‘You think? I’m not confusing stuff or burying my emotions because of Minyoung?’

‘Doesn’t seem that way.’ Baekhyun shrugged. ‘I’m not sure what’s going on either – it is extremely confusing – but one thing is obvious: you only have feelings for Luhan.’

‘Oh thank goodness!’ Mei let out, squatting and putting her head down. ‘I really needed to hear that.’

‘Glad to help,’ Baekhyun offered a dazzling smile. ‘Get up, we’re almost there.’

Mei stood up and smiled back. ‘Yeah, okay.’

She thanked him when they reached her place and waved as he walked off. Then, she took out her phone and sent a strongly worded message to Sehun. This was getting ridiculous.

………………………………………….

Minyoung wasn’t sure how long she could keep the pretense up. Not when everything in her heart cried at the unfairness of it all. She was trying, valiantly, to keep her feelings for Sehun separate and not dissolve into petty jealousy. But it was so hard not to hate Mei a little for taking Sehun away.

She shook her head vehemently, knocking on the side of her head as if to physically dislodge that thought.

She didn’t hate Mei; she couldn’t. Especially since Mei was her bestfriend forever, especially since she’d been the single strongest supporter Minyoung had, especially since she’d made it clear even now that she had no feelings for Sehun. And especially because Mei had done nothing to lead Sehun on, or take him away from her. Sehun liked Mei, Sehun had confettisioned on her bestfriend, Sehun had made the choice.

And Minyoung was determined to respect it, to give them space to figure things out between themselves. It was the least she could do for Mei, for Sehun. He’d respected her wishes and kept his distance; she could reciprocate.

And if it broke her heart, no one had to know.

She sniffled, the feelings inside her getting too much.

She’d been a jumble of emotional turmoil since Sehun’s confettision, trying to keep a brave face for Mei’s sake, trying not to let on just how much Sehun’s indirect rejection hurt.

He knew how she felt, it was no secret; the whole school knew about it, about the shy nerd who’d publically confettisioned on the delinquent.

And he was nice, enough that instead of rejecting her outright or mocking her feelings, he’d taken to teasing her. Which, she now understood, was his way of extending friendship. Only, she’d been too embarrassed and terrified of a repeat performance, so she’d developed this phobia. But her feelings hadn’t ever gone away and she’d let Mei’s teasing go to her head.

It wasn’t Sehun’s fault. It definitely wasn’t Mei’s. One couldn’t choose who they liked, one just did.

She would learn to accept it, learn to stop feeling like her heart was being shredded every time Sehun approached Mei, more comfortable talking to her than to ever approach Minyoung. She knew he was simply holding up his end of the agreement to leave her alone but it didn’t stop the pain. Not when she knew how he felt about Mei.

Gosh, this was too much.

She didn’t even realize she was crying until her vision blurred, glasses slipping down her nose as she ducked her head in a vain attempt to calm herself.

She was being stupid. It was stupid to feel this triggered over something so small.

But the sight of Mei grabbing Sehun’s arm and leading him to secluded corner was a blow she hadn’t expected.

She’d barely managed to escape her class and stumbled upstairs to find some place, any place where she could cry in peace.

The dramatics clubroom was blissfully empty and she didn’t know how long she’d been in here, only aware of the churning, roiling feelings inside her, too big to be contained and tears slipping out relentlessly.

The door opening didn’t register but the gentle voice accompanied by the light touch to her head did. She looked up blearily; a gorgeous dimple blinked at her as a hand gently pushed her hair back.

‘Hey you,’ the soft voice intoned sweetly, ‘everything’s going to be alright.’

Her lip wobbled tremulously and she bawled, breaking down in earnest, leaning into the comforting touch. The person, the angel, whoever they were, pulled her into a gentle hug and she clung to them, crying and vocalizing her emotions at the same time.

She wasn’t sure if she made any sense at all but the person held her until she felt like she would choke if she didn’t say anything.

She pulled back to peer at the face, her vision too blurred, glasses having fallen off, and opened . To say what, she had no idea.

Not that she got the chance anyway because just then, the doo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter