Chapter 14

Love Like Confetti
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

True to his word, Baekhyun texted her at night. How are you?

Mei lounged on her bed, bringing the phone closer as she thought about her answer. I’ve been better.

His reply was prompt. Stay strong! with a cute emoji face. She smiled as another message popped up.

I was wondering if we could talk? About what happened today…? If you’re up for it, I mean.

Ugh, how she wished Luhan had said something similar to Luhan instead of ignoring her the way he was. And while she still abided by her stance regarding his attack on Sehun, but she still would have appreciated some initiative from his part.

And Sehun. Instead of being all blasé about it he could’ve said, hey how about we meet up and talk it out?

I’d like that, she typed rapidly. Where should we…?

His reply came before she could send the message. I could come over, if that’s okay? Or we can meet outside.

There’s a park near my place, she typed quickly, we can meet there.

Great, see you in a few.

She sent him her address and instead of changing into pajamas like she’d been planning, she dressed up once again.

‘Where are you going, young lady?’ her mother asked, fake-stern, before breaking out into a teasing smile. ‘Is it a boy?’

Mei blushed despite herself and her mother clapped her hands excitedly. ‘Oh, it is! Oh my, is it that football boy-?

‘Mom!’ Mei shrieked, covering her ears, ‘no!’

To think that even her mother knew about her crush on Luhan! To be fair, Mei was hardly the quietest person around and with Minyoung over, they tended to be really loud. Besides, her mother knew all about her first, unintentional confettision.

‘Well, be careful, okay? I know confettisioning sounds like it’s huge but it’s not that big a deal, alright? If you’re not comfortable with it, you don’t have to do anything at all, okay?’

Mei slowly lowered her hands. ‘Come again?’

Her mother nodded sagely. ‘It doesn’t have to mean anything if you don’t want it to, okay?’

‘O-okay.’ She nodded, heading out. ‘I’ll keep that in mind.’

‘Don’t forget the curfew,’ was her mother’s distracted reply.

Mei slowly walked to the park, lost in thought. Everyone acted as if confettisioning meant something inevitable. Like if she’d confettisioned, it was now imperative that she carry through with what it implied. However, her mother’s words comforted her. It didn’t have to mean anything if she didn’t want it to.

And she didn’t, she realized. She was far too confused to be any good for anybody. And Baekhyun – anyone, for that matter – deserved better. She wasn’t ready to commit, at least not right now, not until she’d resolved the deal with Luhan and Sehun. And made peace with the fact that she was apparently crushing on Baekhyun.

She’d made up her mind when Baekhyun showed up ten minutes later, cheeks pink due to exertion as he’d obviously run most of the way.

He broke into a dazzling smile on seeing her, slowing to a more sedate pace as he approached.

‘Hey!’

She smiled back, waiting until he was near before replying. ‘Hey, yourself.’

Baekhyun made himself comfortable on the bench beside her, and they sat in comfortable silence, broken only by Baekhyun offering her some snacks. They munched in amicable silence before Baekhyun spoke up.

‘So… about today…’

‘Yeah, about that.’ Mei wrung her fingers, not sure how to say it. Baekhyun was being very nice and it made it hard to say what she wanted to. ‘I’m not-‘

‘Can I be honest with you, Mei?’ he interrupted her, staring down at his feet.

‘Yes, of course.’

‘You’re really nice and so far, I really like you.’ He glanced at her, hesitating before continuing determinedly. ‘As a friend.’ 

Mei’s nerves settled, feeling like a great burden had been lifted.

‘Oh thank goodness, I wasn’t sure how to say it to you!’ Mei let out, sighing with relief.

‘Wait, you mean you-‘

‘I mean I like you but honestly, I have never considered you as anything more than an acquaintance.’

Baekhyun made a face at that. ‘Ouch?’

She giggled. ‘I mean, we don’t really know each other well enough to call ourselves friends, right?’

Baekhyun laughed too, sounding relieved. ‘Yeah, you’re right. So, you’re cool with it?’

‘With what?’

‘Well, you know, not changing our status to something more intimate.’

‘Oh yes, please. I’m far too confused to be perfectly honest.’ Mei nodded vehemently. ‘Nothing personal, it’s just that I’ve had a rough couple of days and I have no idea how to deal with the stuff going on right now.‘

‘Yeah, that is also kind of why I don’t want to do anything. Because you’re nice and everything but Luhan-‘ He stopped for a second to note her reaction. Mei tried not to visibly perk up at his name but obviously, she failed because Baekhyun was smirking when he continued. ‘Well, he’s my friend and I don’t want to do anything until things have settled between you and him.’

Mei nodded, ducking her head to hide her blush. ‘Thanks for understanding.’

Baekhyun smiled. ‘No biggie. So, what do you wanna do now?’

‘Huh?’

‘Now that all the heavy stuff is out of the way, I mean? We should have some fun since we’re already here!’

Mei agreed happily, letting him lead her. He was surprisingl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter