Casserole?

Menial, Unimportant, and Broke

 “Hello! We’re your new neighbours!”

 “You bet.” Irene pushed open the apartment door and put her hands on her hips. Yeri bounded over excitedly, her half-ponytail bouncing in the breeze.

 The two girls that stood by the door looked nothing alike; the first, lean and tall with short hair, pale skin, and an androgynous look; the second, a tanned girl with hazel eyes and orangey hair.

 “Ooh! New neighbours!” Yeri beamed with her sunny disposition. “Junmyeon told me about you two!”

 “Hopefully it wasn’t anything bad…” the second girl remarked sarcastically.

 “Who’s Junmyeon?” the first whispered.

 “Our goddamn landlord Amber. Are you serious?”

 From the inside, a door slammed, and a third girl walked to the front entrance.

 “Come here, Joy. They’re our new neighbours.” Irene huffed.

 “Nice to meet you!”

 “Wait, I still don’t know who Junmyeon is.” Amber stage-whispered. “Description please, Luna?”

 “The guy who gave us our keys this morning. I can’t believe this.”

 “Oh my god. That man who looks exactly her!” Amber blurted, pointing a finger at Irene.

 Yeri and Joy burst out laughing as Irene scowled. “Doppelgangers, I tell you!”

 Luna took a step back apologetically as Irene’s deadly stink eye radiated off her.

 “Now that you mention it,” Joy said, mock wiping tears of laughter from her eye, “they look like twins.” Yeri lightly punched her sister in the shoulder.

 “I look nothing like him!”

 “Yes, you do.”

 Luna cleared loudly, and the attention diverted to her. “I would just like to say that it’s nice to meet you three. We’ve recently moved into room 205.” “We also brought you a gift.” Amber spoke up.

 Seemingly out of nowhere, Luna reached behind her back and procured a standard glass dish, filled with chunks of something...and saran wrapped tightly. “Here you go.” She dropped it into Joy’s open arms.

 “It’s a casserole.”

 The three girls looked at each other, then at their new neighbours.

 “What’s a casserole?” Irene scratched her head. Amber and Luna gaped at her.

 “What is a casserole?” Joy repeated, equally confused. “I’ve seen them and heard about them, I just don’t know what it actually is.”

 “It’s just chunks of food, thrown in a pot and baked.” Amber said.

 “...Thanks.”

 The new neighbours smiled back. “Please return the dish back to our apartment once you’re done. Have a nice day!”

 Yeri waited until Amber and Luna disappeared around the hall to close the door.

 In the kitchen, Joy was already unwrapping the dish of something...and scooping out portions onto a plate.

 “Is that a cashew?” Irene stabbed a curved nut with her fork.

 Joy stuck her nose into a slice and sniffed. “Smells like tuna to me.”

 “Tuna cashew casserole.” Yeri remarked.

 “You go first. You’re the adventurous eater.”

 Without hesitation, Yeri quickly picked up a fork and jabbed it into the casserole, pulling out a congealed lump of beige colored mixture and shoved it into . She slowly chewed as Irene and Joy studied each of her facial expressions.

 “This is,” she said slowly, “DELICIOUS!” The youngest grabbed her spoon and snarfed down her plate’s remaining contents at a near-choking hazard speed.

 Joy and Irene followed, wolfing down their allocated amounts and nodding their heads in approval.

 “I don’t know what drugs are in this,” Joy uttered, “but it’s good.”

 “Surprisingly.” Irene felt like she didn’t want to enjoy this abomination.

 10/10 would eat it again.

 The casserole disappeared in no time, and Irene and Joy were left sprawled over the kitchen table, holding their full stomachs as they waved Yeri off to return the tableware.

 “I can’t get up.” Joy groaned. “Go answer the door.”

 “Dibs out. I’m stuffed.” Irene held up two fingers in surrender as Yeri busted through the front entrance anyways, holding the same glassware.

 “I thought you were supposed to return that.” Joy said, slinking down the back of the chair.

 Yeri set the glass into the microwave.

 “They have more.”

 The girls ate it for breakfast the next day.