Cucumber Melon

Menial, Unimportant, and Broke

 The cafe was out of dish soap.

 “Just go into the kitchen supply closet and get more,” Irene instructed. Her hands were in the sink, elbows up in bubbles, scraping burnt batter off the side of a pie tin.

 Minseok obeyed, and got down on his knees, digging through the box of dish soap.

 “No, not that one!” Irene shook her head. “The lemon scent.”

 The boy held up the bottles and compared them. “The lemon scent? There’s only cucumber melon.” He drizzled the teal liquid into the sink, and joined Irene in scrubbing pans.

 “The smell….it’s making me sick.”

 Minseok placed the platter into the dishwasher and shook his head.

 “Smells fine to me.”

 Irene buried her nose in the crook of her elbow and continued with the task. “It’s like getting a good whiff of rotten kitchen scraps.”

 Minseok chuckled. “Where’s Sunny? I need her to show me how to work the oven.”

 “She went to visit her grandparents. Just you and me today, I guess.” She unenthusiastically blew a strand of hair off her face.

 “The same as a regular oven,” Irene said, giving the metal beast a gentle pat. “Just adjust the temperature knobs so you don’t fry the scones, and you’re good to go.”

 Minseok nodded, and slid in the tray of white chocolate-raspberry scones. Meanwhile, Irene stood outside, taking orders. As he waited for the pastries to finish baking, he sat down on a kitchen stool and wiped his hands on his apron.

 I wonder what Jongdae’s doing….

 🎂🎂🎂

 The timer went off, and the boys roared.

 “YESSS!” Jongdae screamed. “HAND IT OVER!”

 Junmyeon sheepishly passed a ten-dollar bill to his now-red faced friend. “I’m sorry I ever doubted your abilities,” he said to Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

 The taller of the two smiled smugly and picked up his boyfriend by the waist. “Practice makes perfect.”

 Junmyeon shook his head. “Although, I have no idea why I watched you two make out for six minutes and thirty seconds.”

 Jongdae fanned himself with his newfound wealth and gave his imaginary long locks a flip. “I’m only ten dollars richer.” Baekhyun smacked Chanyeol and demanded he release him, kicking his legs desperately.

 “YEOLLIE!” he complained loudly. Chanyeol shook his boyfriend around like a rag doll and threw him onto the sofa, crushing Junmyeon.

 “An off-day today?” Jongdae asked.

 Junmyeon checked his watch and nodded.

 “I can take a break once in a while. And no classes for you?”

 The three boys all shook their heads.

 “Why don’t we go out, then?” Junmyeon suggested. “It’s been forever since we’ve last gone anywhere as a group....”

 Baekhyun rose up and got to his feet, sprinting towards the washroom.

 “I’ll need the time to get ready,” he loudly declared. Chanyeol nodded, sprawled over the couch.

 “Sounds good to us.”

 “Great. I’ll pick you guys up at 7:30.”

🎵🎵🎵

 The jam sandwiches were set on the platter, and Minseok smoothly slid them off the counter.

 “Table 4,” Irene mumbled as she smeared strawberry preserves on a slice of crustless bread.

 Business at the cafe had just hit rush hour, and the two employees were busier than ever, serving lunch to office workers and school kids. The tables were fully packed, and a long line of customers s nearly to the back wall.

 “Hello, what can I get you today?”

 “May I have a carrot muffin and a spinach smoothie?”

 Irene made a slight face at the combination, and opened the cash register to accept the girl’s sweaty change. Minseok came back out with a glass, filled with green juice, and an orange muffin.

 The process repeated, over and over again. Whenever a customer left, another came. Irene took orders swiftly on the notepad and Minseok busied himself in the kitchen and at the tables.

 “They should really hire another employee.”

 As the clock ticked past 12:30, the baristas felt increasingly tired. The ticket bar was halfway covered in coffee orders, and Irene’s hands shook as she slammed each cup down onto the counter.

 “Next!”

 Minseok came to her aid at the front till, expertly brewing the coffee and pouring elegant swirls of cream and sugar into the cups. One by one, the impressed customers began to drop loose coins into the tip jars.

 “You’re even better at this than I am…” Irene remarked.

 “Thanks,” Minseok muttered, suddenly shy. “I’ve been practicing.”

 She carried the now full tip jar to the back and dumped it in the safe haphazardly. Rush hour was beginning to come to an end, and the four-or-so remaining customers stared up at the menu, wondering what to order.

 Irene busied herself with spraying the oven and wiping down the kitchen, wrinkling her nose at the residual cucumber melon smell. She would have to beat up the person who made the sales pitch. The last customer exited the cafe, with the little ring of a bell, and Minseok walked into the kitchen. Irene handed him a slip of paper.

 “Good work. We made $50.35 in the tip jar today.” She patted him on the back and saw him beam at the ground.

 “I think we’ve more than deserved a break,” she added slyly.

 “What are you saying?”

 “I’m saying that we should close up the cafe early, and go out.” Irene winked and Minseok had to take a step back. He had never seen her like this before, mischievous and lively.

 “Just the two of us.”

 “I’m gay.” He had to force this out of his mouth.

 “I know. Which is precisely why I’m going with you.” She looked at the shocked expression on the other barista’s face and added, “It’s 2019, Minseok. Nobody cares.”

 “Let’s go then.”

 Irene smiled. “There’s a new club in the south district that I’ve been wanting to check out. We can close by 7:30. I just need to run some errands first. You okay with that?”

 “Yes.”

 ☕☕☕

 Jongdae was in the middle of applying his eyeliner for the sixth time, when the doorbell rang. He jumped a little, causing the black line to skid up his eyelid and cursed loudly, grabbing another makeup wipe.

 “BAEKHYUN, GET THE DOOR!”

 His roommate ran to the door and ushered Junmyeon in, who was dressed sharply in a leather jacket. Baekhyun could barely move in his black ripped jeans without pulling them apart at the seams, so he hobbled back to the sofa, where he was doing his usual activity: playing video games.

 After finally having perfected his makeup and hair, Jongdae marched out of the washroom with model swagger and his friends hooted.

 “Looking good,” Junmyeon commented, and Baekhyun screamed “nice piece of ” at the top of his lungs.

 “Be careful, you have a boyfriend!” the other two hissed. Chanyeol was late to the party, as usual.

 The doorbell rang again, and Junmyeon let Chanyeol in. Baekhyun’s jaw was going to fall onto the floor by the way he gazed at the giant. They ran towards each other to share a quick kiss and Jongdae looked on awkwardly.

 “Well,” Junmyeon said, picking up his car keys, “let’s go. What are we waiting for?”

 Apart from Baekhyun, their landlord and good friend was the only one who had bothered to get their driver’s license. Unfortunately, Junmyeon was the total dad of the group, and being the dad meant that his “ride” was a peach tinted SUV that he had nicknamed “Mama”. It was rather unimpressive, but it would have to do. They could barely trust Baekhyun to drive completely sober.

 “Pile in,” Junmyeon commanded. “And be sure to buckle your seatbelts.”

 The car started up, with the three guys squished uncomfortably in the back. Junmyeon carefully reversed and drove out of the parking lot. If anyone noticed the four men dressed in nearly all black, driving a pink car into town, they certainly didn’t care.

 Jongdae fiddled with his choker, and his white shirt. The van creeped along at a painfully slow pace.

 “You don’t have to drive everywhere like it’s a school zone,” Baekhyun whined.

 “Safety first.” Junmyeon insisted.

 The sun was just beginning to set, in blinding shades of orange, yellow, and red. The van rattled into city centre, and through the south district. The boys jumped in their seats, speed bump after speed bump.

 “We’re here.” The van slowed to a stop by the curb, and everyone hustled out, being careful to not ruin their perfect hair, painstakingly sculpted by cans of hairspray and a Youtube tutorial.

 The club was a newly built establishment, decorated with purple and black. Spotlights shone across the exterior and a red carpet lined the sidewalk, complete with gold chains and loud music blasting from the inside.

 The bouncer stood by the entrance, holding a clipboard and glaring from under his dark black shades.

 “Names?”

 “Junmyeon, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae.”

 He lifted the velour rope and let them pass.

 “Out early, eh? Lightweights.” There was snark in his voice and Junmyeon looked less than happy to be there.

 “No need to be rude, Minho.”

 Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongdae trailed Junmyeon as he walked into the club. It was dark inside, and music pulsed in every corner.

 Subconsciously, they took seats at the bar.

 The bartender(a woman, whose name tag read Seohyun) approached them.

 “What will you be having tonight?”

 🍸🍸🍸

 The supermarket carried a whole aisle of dish soap, but somehow, Minseok still found himself in a corner, scratching his head as Irene paced up and down the aisle, holding a basket.

 They had dumped nearly every scent into the plastic crate, but Irene was still unsatisfied.

 “Fiji blossoms.”

 The scarlet red bottle joined “lemony fresh”, “sea salt springs”, “lush lavender”, “green apple”, and “clementine dream”.

 Truth be told, Minseok didn’t know what sea salt smelled like. He put it in anyways.

 “There.” Irene started towards the checkout counter and dumped the bottles onto a conveyor belt. Minseok followed as she paid, and together, they exited the store six bottles of dish soap richer.

 They walked to her car(a plain silver Honda Civic)and unloaded the cardboard box.

 “See,” Irene said, once Minseok was in the passenger seat, “much better. Now we won’t have to get gassed by that awful soap.”

 They had both gotten ready for a night out; Irene wore a zip up black dress with a white stripe down each sleeve and ankle boots, sophisticated as always. Minseok had put on his darkest blazer with neck adornments and spent half and hour in front of the mirror touching up his face. He had slicked back his poofy blonde hair for the occasion, and now looked like a shady millionaire.

 Minseok knew he had done a good job when he stepped out of the door and Irene told him he was jealous of his makeup skills.

 “Congratulations. You’ve gotten one of my rare compliments.” she deadpanned.

 When the car finally rolled up to the club, the night was a deep royal blue dotted with stars. The bouncer took one look at them and let them in.

 “Thanks, Yuri.” The two women shared a mutual nod.

 Once inside the club, the music nearly drowned out everything, and Minseok had to raise his voice to get past the deafening shouts and electronic beat.

 “WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO NOW?” he shouted.

 “WE’RE SUPPOSED TO ENJOY OURSELVES! GO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!” Irene screamed back from the dance floor. She was midway through “Roller Coaster".  As much as he wanted to join in, he found himself gravitating towards the bar instead.

 The bartender was busy chatting with a group of boys, so Minseok sat down instead and contemplated.

 I really shouldn’t be out here tonight. I should be in the cafe, working. Maybe if I go home early I’ll have some time to spare to work on my university projects.

 Seohyun approached him, polishing a glass.

 “What will you be having today?”

 “Gin and Tonic, please.”

 The seat next to him suddenly jerked out, and he found himself face to face with the florist for the day before. His jaw nearly dropped out.

 His look had done a complete 180 degree turn. From innocent flower boy to a hot-as-hell playboy, Minseok took in his every detail, from his perfectly half tucked white shirt that exposed half his collarbone, his choker bobbing up and down in sync with his Adam’s apple, and his tousled hair, falling on his handsome features.

 “You again?”

 “Surprise??”

 Jongdae leaned in closer and swished his glass in his right hand. “I’m glad you’re here! You look amazing tonight, Minseok.”

 Minseok was suddenly thankful for the lack of lights by the bar. Nobody could see his face turn red back here.

 “Thank you. You look stunning as well.” Jongdae smiled sheepishly at the compliment and Seohyun returned with the drink.

 “What are you doing here?” he asked. Minseok sipped at his glass before setting it down.

 “Irene closed up the cafe early.”

 “Wanna come dance with me, then?”

 Jongdae’s eyes twinkled and Minseok let himself be pulled to the floor, shining in neon and black lights. His legs carried him to the center of the floor, under a pulsing gold spotlight.

 “Gashina” blasted from the stereo, and he let himself get carried away by the music, his body executing each move sharply and perfectly.

 Jongdae stood to the side, too busy staring to actually dance.

 The killing part dragged into the second verse, and Minseok put his hands down. Jongdae ran towards him, obviously impressed.

 “That was phenomenal! The way you dance…” Jongdae caught himself.

 Dive off a cliff, Jongdae. You’re thirsting over a probably straight man.

 “Thank you! I’ve….been practicing.”

 The next song, “Troublemaker” started playing, and before Jongdae knew what he was doing, he grabbed Minseok’s wrist and pulled him to the center.

 “Ready?” Minseok whispered. “I’ll be Hyuna.”

 Nervously, Jongdae spun around to the tune of the music, hovering his hand two centimeters from Minseok’s body. Meanwhile, his partner danced with confidence, oozing seductiveness all over the place as he nailed move after move.

 A crowd was beginning to gather around them now, watching as the dark haired boy and the light haired boy flicked their hands in sync and moved around each other with ease.

 “Let’s sing,” Jongdae spoke softly into Minseok’s ear, as the blonde’s fingers fluttered above his chest. “Let’s give them a show.”

 Minseok immediately launched into a perfect delivery of Hyuna’s rap, and Jongdae felt his heart swell as he opened his mouth to sing the second verse.

 “Incredible.” Minseok said to Jongdae, once they were close enough.

 He hadn’t known that the part-time florist, full time college student could sing so well, and his smooth voice glided into his ears.

 Their hands still refused to touch each other.

 What if he feels awkward? they both thought.

 As Jongdae belted out the bridge, Minseok stepped behind him nervously.

 Here I go…

 The barista placed two hands on his dance partner’s chest and slid them down.

 WHAT HAVE I DONE? I WASN’T SUPPOSED TO TOUCH HIM, WAS I? His brain pounded and Minseok felt suffocated by his awkwardness until he felt two hands on top of his own, sliding them down to Jongdae’s waist. As he grabbed Jongdae’s hand for the next move, the dark haired boy winked at him and gave a shy smile. Together, they sang the high note, and the small crowd clapped and cheered.

 As the song wrapped up, they each took small bows, before Jongdae grabbed Minseok’s wrist and sat him down at the bar.

 They were both slightly panting, faces flushed as they downed the last of their drinks. Jongdae thought his face was going to be pulled apart if he smiled any harder.

 “Jongdae, your voice is breathtaking. Tonight….you were breathtaking.” The barista looked directly at him.

 Minseok wanted to coo when Jongdae buried his face into his hands, obviously flustered by the compliment.

 It must have been the glass of alcohol, because otherwise, the two boys were too shy around each other to drop even the slightest of hints.

 “That means so much to me. Thank you,” he murmured softly. “I want to tell you that you were a triple threat back there. You can sing, dance, and rap. Not to mention, you look y as hell when you’re doing it.” Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows at the last comment, and it was Minseok’s turn to hide his blush.

 Be careful, he’s definitely het. He wears hoodies and cargo shorts.

  The two sat there under the bar, grinning like fools at each other until Seohyun came over to tap Jongdae on the shoulder.

 “Your friends,” she pointed to a shirtless Baekhyun that had climbed on top of Chanyeol(who was wearing someone’s sweatpants on his head?)and a flustered looking Junmyeon, “need to go.”

 Jongdae quickly apologized to the disapproving bartender and Junmyeon paid the bill.

 “I’m sorry, but I have to leave now.” Jongdae smiled at Minseok. “Baekhyun and Chanyeol are dangerous forces, especially when both of them are drunk as lords. Junmyeon’s going to kill me if I don’t get them home.”

 “Nothing to apologize for. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 Jongdae gave Minseok one last smile as he and Junmyeon dragged Chanyeol and Baekhyun out the door with great difficulty.

 Minseok’s train of thought was interrupted by the sounds of squeaking glass. Seohyun placed his empty glass in the trolley behind her and gave the stem a quick polish.

 “You ate the lemon,” she said, amused.

 “Lemons are good! Just ask Irene.”

 As if out of nowhere, the girl suddenly appeared, looking sweaty and exhausted.

 “I’m ready to call it a night. Are you?”

 Irene leaned across the bar. “A glass of water, please. I’m dying over here.”

 Seohyun returned with a cup piled high with ice and Irene downed it greedily.

 “I know we’ve only been here for twenty minutes, but I feel like going home. There’s someone over there that’s been harassing me, nonstop.” Irene lowered her voice. A man, dressed in a dark gray suit with greasy hair stumbled around, and Minseok’s stomach sank.

 The two headed towards the exit quickly, which was congested by masses of millennial clubbers. Minseok weaved through a group of drunken girls and came out the other side.

 “Irene!” he called out. He searched around for the girl, turning to see if he could spot her space buns and hoop earrings

 . “Irene?” Minseok cut through the crowd and found the stranger in the gray suit, clutching onto the girl’s arm with an iron grip and a lecherous look on his face.

 “LET GO OF ME!” she shouted. Her other free hand grabbed onto the stranger’s ear, twisting it until the man cried out.

 “YOU !” he spat loudly. Irene struggled to get away, squirming and kicking her leg wildly. Her sleeve had rolled halfway up, and two red streaks trailed down the white skin of her forearm.

 “LET GO!”

 The man leaned onto her, pressing his body close to her side. “What’s wrong, baby? Can’t take a compliment? We can go back tonight, and I’ll make you feel good, real good-”

 “YOU KEEP YOUR DISGUSTING HANDS OFF ME, SEUNGRI, AND ANY WOMAN HERE!” Irene closed her hand into a fist and punched Seungri square into the jaw. He stumbled back, clutching his face as red nails met his unshaven chin.

 “I’ll get what I want, no matter what you say. I’m very well equipped. Just ask the other girls I’ve-” Minseok rushed forward, seething with rage, and tackled the man onto the ground, falling into a heap as they were both knocked over by the force of the blow.

 The stranger wiggled out from under him.

 He brought back his hand and reached for Minseok’s throat, snarling in fury.

 “SON OF A …”

 Within seconds, the bouncers rushed to the his side, Minho helping Irene and Minseok, while Yuri kicked the salacious predator sharply in between the legs. He roared in pain, and doubled over on the ground.

 “I’m calling the cops,” Yuri nodded to Minho.

 “Did he hurt you? Did he touch you?”

 Irene glared murderously at the man.

 “We’ll take care of it from here,” Minho added. “I apologize on behalf of the establishment. You’ll never see that scum again.”

 He escorted the two dazed patrons out the front door before they had time to protest.

 Outside, Irene sighed deeply, and Minseok inspected himself for signs of bruising.

 “I hate men.” Irene spat bluntly. The police sirens whirred in the distance.

 They climbed into the car in silence, and Irene drove Minseok home, stopping outside of his apartment building.

 “I’m sorry that happened to you.”

 “I’m sorry you had to see that. Seungri’s…..a douchebag.” Irene swallowed hard.

 “Thank you for your help back there.” she finally remarked, as Minseok left the car.

 The sky had now turned a deep black, broken by the cool glow of street lights. “You see why I don’t go usually go to places by myself?” Minseok’s face drew into a hard line as he thought about the creep who had assaulted both of them.

 He can rot in jail with the rest of his kind, for all I care.

  “We went out together, we work together. You’re a good person…... I suppose we’re friends now,” Irene laughed.

 Minseok smiled warmly at her. “I suppose we are.”

 As Minseok stumbled into his room, tiredly, and got ready for bed, he couldn’t stop thinking about Jongdae. The way he sang, how good he looked, and what he had said to him that evening.

 You look y as hell when you’re doing it…

 The words played on a constant loop in his head, even as he tried to lay down and ignore it.

 Why are you thinking about him? You barely know him at all. What do you think this is? A cringey love story where you fall for each other? He’s probably straight. He probably never thinks about you. So, what’s wrong? What’s so special about Jongdae?

 Today you nearly got attacked by a ual predator, but all you’re thinking about is him.

 All you think about is him.