Pepper Spray

Iced Americano

I woke up with a pounding headache. It had been too long since I had speakers pounding rhythms into my bones, and I wasn’t used to it. I slapped my phone a couple times, trying to shut off the alarm, to no avail. I finally pushed myself up off the bed enough to actually see the screen, and shut it off. I just had classes today, no work. Part of me was a little sad, since I wouldn’t see Siyeon today, but I’d be recording “Bon Bon Chocolat” with Insomnia today. After sending a quick good morning text to Siyeon, I hopped out of bed and brushed through my tangled lion’s mane of hair, ate some cereal, and brushed my teeth. I looked at the reference picture Seungyeon sent in the group chat; we were meant to dress as similarly to Everglow as possible. Since I was covering Yiren’s part, I needed a red jacket and a red skirt… I had a red tennis skirt, but I didn’t have a red jacket. I looked at my still-sleeping roommate, and quietly opened her closet. Of course she had one. I took a tie and white button-up from her, too. 

 

I silently packed my dance bag with clothes to sweat in and the outfit I’d wear for shooting. Once that was all done, I got dressed for classes in a simple t-shirt and jeans with sneakers, and did some basic makeup. I put my makeup bag in with my dance clothes, since I’d need to touch up before shooting. I waved good-bye to Yoobin’s sleeping form, and made my way to class. 

 

I was used to having eyes on me, but now there were whispers. Most of them already knew I was back in Insomnia, even if I wasn’t going to be in every cover like I used to. I couldn’t make out much of what they were saying, and honestly, I wasn’t sure if they were upset or not. It didn’t matter, though. Yujin was in this class with me, and I’d have her by my side at least. She wasn’t there yet; typical Yujin. She’d be in the lecture hall just seconds before the actual lecture starts. I sat at our usual place, and got my laptop, notebook, and pencils out to take notes. I drummed my fingers on the table nervously. I couldn’t help myself. I pulled my phone out of my pocket to see if Siyeon responded. 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[Good morning to you too, cutie. Do you have work today?]

 

Bora:

[Nope! I just have classes, and then I’m recording a cover with my group. Do you have work?]

 

I heard frantic footsteps scurrying in behind me, and felt the table lurch forward as Yujin slammed into it. Just as she threw her things onto the table, the professor began his lecture. I pocketed my phone, and forced myself to pay attention to the lecture, no matter how badly I wanted to text Siyeon. 

 

“Did Yeeun help?” She whispered as she her laptop. 

 

“She embarrassed me. A lot.” I chuckled. 

 

“So...are you dating yet?” 

 

“Pfft, I wish.” I rolled my eyes, and took down a couple of quick notes. “I think she’s interested in me, but...I don’t know. She could probably get better, and she knows that. I’d love to be with her, but…” 

 

“Then why would she still flirt with you?” She asked, raising an eyebrow teasingly. 

 

“Because…” I sighed. “Maybe she’s playing with me? Or maybe...I don’t know.” 

 

“Exactly.” Yujin hummed happily, and bounced a little in her chair as she started taking down notes. 



 

As soon as the professor ended the lecture, I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I heard Yujin laugh next to me, probably at how whipped I already was for this woman, but I couldn’t help it. She was gorgeous and sweet, but suave and intimidating at the same time. 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[I can take a day off whenever I want, haha]

[When will you be back at the cafe? I still need to bring you that pepper spray.]

 

Bora:

[I don’t have another shift until the day after tomorrow :( I can meet you there if you want, though?] 

 

Apparently, I couldn’t hide my disappointment from Yujin, who picked up on my change in mood immediately. She stopped putting her things in her bag to give my shoulder a comforting pat. “Siyeon?” 

 

“Yeah. I probably won’t see her ‘til Monday,” I grumbled quietly, folding my laptop shut and putting it in my bag, “since I don’t have work.” 

 

“You could meet her somewhere?” She suggested innocently, letting her hand fall from my shoulder. 

 

“A date? God, no.” I shivered. I could barely compose myself around her at work; how would I keep from combusting when it’s just the two of us? 

 

“You’ll never get anywhere with her if you don’t make a move.” She hummed, standing up and slinging her bag over her shoulder. 

 

“Which is why you need to make a move on Seungyeon.” I countered with a smirk.

 

“That’s completely different!” She squealed with blushing cheeks. “Let’s just get going.” She pulled me out of my chair, dragging me out of the room while I stumbled behind her. She was tiny, but she was strong. She let me go when we got into the hallway. Obviously, I took my phone out of my pocket to check for a message from Siyeon. 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[I don’t want you to be walking around without it...can we meet up?]

 

Bora:

[Of course! I’ll be free after we record today, but I don’t know exactly how long it’ll take…] 

 

I popped my phone back in my pocket and looked up; Yujin was already out the door. I groaned quietly and jogged to catch up with her, but my phone vibrated in my pocket as soon as I got close to the door. I stopped in my tracks and pulled it out to see if it was Siyeon; nope, it was Yoobin letting me know she was at the practice room. I put it back in my pocket again, and jogged out of the building, only slowing down when I caught up with Yujin. 

 

“Obsessed, much?” She asked, laughing. 

 

“Shush. As if you’re not rushing to see Seungyeon.” I chuckled, running my fingers through my hair. She stuck her tongue out at me, but didn’t argue. 

 

“E-Excuse me!” A voice called out. Yujin and I stopped in our tracks and turned to face the owner of the voice; a girl with a supermodel-like body and cute face. “You’re Insomnia, right?” 

 

“Yep! Why do you ask?” Yujin beamed.

 

“I, um...I actually wanted to know if you did auditions.” She spoke softly, fiddling with her fingers. “I know I’m kinda young, and I don’t have as much experience as you, but I’m a hard worker.” Yujin and I glanced at each other, unsure of what to say. Seungyeon was the leader, and she’d make all the final decisions. Then again, it’s not like she’d be upset to have a potential new member. 

 

“We do auditions, but it’s kinda...we don’t really have a set time or anything.” Yujin furrowed her brow in thought before finally relaxing her face with a gentle smile. “Okay, you see that building?” She pointed to the building that contained the dance studios and practice rooms. “Whenever you have something ready, just meet us there. We’ll probably be practicing in there; if you follow the music, you won’t get lost. We meet at night to practice, so probably...any time from seven to ten in the evening, we’ll be there.”

 

“Thank you!” She grinned, clasping her hands together in excitement. It was cute. “Any day works?” 

 

“Any day except today is good.” Yujin nodded, smiling. “Can I get your name?” 

 

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry.” She gasped. “My name is Kwon Eunbin, and I’m a first-year student here.” 

 

“Nice to meet you, Eunbin.” I spoke up with a grin; her cheeks lit up with a faint blush. 

 

“We’ve gotta get going, but I hope we get to see you soon!” Yujin waved good-bye, and continued our walk to the studio. Eunbin waved back, and took off in the opposite direction at a jog. “She’s adorable.” She hummed.

 

“I know!” I squealed, remembering her squishable pink cheeks. “I hope she’s a good dancer.” 

 

“Ooh, does Siyeon have some competition?” Yujin giggled, pulling the door open and holding it for me. 

 

“Of course not!” I chuckled. “That girl was adorable, but you know how I feel about Siyeon.” 

 

“Whipped.” 

 

“And you’re not?” I raised an eyebrow at her. She simply shrugged in response, then opened the door to Insomnia’s practice room. We were hit in the face with the smell of deodorant (much more pleasant than the alternative), and the sight of Seungyeon in the middle of changing into her practice clothes. Gahyeon and Yeeun were dressed nearly identically in Adidas shorts and tank tops, while Yoobin wore leggings and a thin, baggy t-shirt. I snuck around Yujin to enter the room; she was too distracted by Seungyeon’s abs to move. I have to admit that Seungyeon has a really nice body, but it wasn’t like it froze me in my tracks when I saw a bit of skin. I tossed my bag on the ground and pulled out my practice clothes: a cropped tank and sweatpants. Yujin recovered a few moments later, now that Seungyeon had thrown a baggy tank top over her chest, and sweatpants over her lower half. She pulled her practice clothes out of her own bag, while I changed into my cropped tank top. 

 

“What took you so long?” Yoobin asked as she stretched.

 

“A girl wanted to join us, and asked about auditions.” Yujin said while she pulled her shirt off, and replaced it with a cropped t-shirt. “I just told her when we’d be around, and to come grab us whenever she had something ready to show us.”

 

“That’s a little vague.” Seungyeon chuckled.

 

“What was I supposed to tell her?!” Yujin whined, crossing her arms with a pout painted on her lips. 

 

“Make up a date and time, and whoever’s free will come?” Seungyeon shrugged. “What’s done is done, I guess. As soon as Yujin and Bora finish changing, we’ll stretch, yeah?”



 

“Got it!” Sorn cheered, after watching the last scene she recorded on her camera. I collapsed to the ground in an exhausted lump, and let out a happy sigh of relief. Seungyeon and Yujin still had the energy to jump for joy, and the rest of the girls soon joined me on the ground. “I’ll try to get it edited and uploaded by Monday, but we’ll see.” 

 

“No, there’s no rush.” Seungyeon said before trying to envelop Sorn in a sweaty hug. She dodged just in time.

 

“Nuh-uh.” Sorn chuckled, backing up. “You’re nasty.” 

 

A flash of lights stopped our conversation in its tracks. A black car was pulling up to us at two in the morning. My breath hitched; we were all girls in skimpy clothes and heels (except Sorn, but she wasn’t very intimidating), and we probably attracted some creep. Or worse, it was someone dangerous. I leapt to my feet, and clenched my fists at my sides, ready to defend myself and my friends if necessary. The headlights turned off with the engine, and I could make out the actual style of the car: a sleek, black Lamborghini. The driver’s side door opened, and all it took was a flash of blonde to calm my nerves. 

 

“Siyeon!” I whined. “You scared me. I didn’t know you were coming.”

 

“You didn’t…?” Siyeon furrowed her brows in confusion, and pulled her phone out of her pocket, looking at it. I heard heels clack on the cement behind me, then my phone was slipped into my hand. 

 

“You’re welcome.” Yeeun chuckled. I gasped and spun around, ready to beat the life out of Yeeun. I was sweaty, probably smelled like a locker room, my makeup and hair were probably messy, and I wasn’t mentally ready for Siyeon to see me in these clothes. The skirt was short, and sure I had safety shorts underneath it, but it still showed off my thighs, and the white button-up was tight, and, lord, I probably looked like I came straight out of an amateur video. 

 

“Sorry, I-” 

 

“No, no, don’t be sorry!” I cut Siyeon’s apology short, and spun back around to face her. “You came all the way out here.” I glanced back at the rest of Insomnia awkwardly; I didn’t think I’d be introducing Siyeon to them like this, if I ever did. “Um...this is Siyeon…” I mumbled quietly, gesturing to the gorgeous woman in front of me. 

 

“If you were busy, I can-”

 

“No, we just finished filming.” Seungyeon cut in, and extended her hand for Siyeon to shake. “I’m Seungyeon. You can think of me as the dad you’re trying to impress so you can date his daughter.” 

 

“Seungyeon!” I whined, embarrassed by her blunt words. 

 

“If she’s the dad, that makes me the mom.” Yujin piped up, wrapping her arms around my waist from behind and kissing my cheek. “I won’t let just any woman take my baby.” 

 

“I swear to god-” I tried to wriggle out of Yujin’s grasp. 

 

“I’ll take good care of your little girl, I promise.” Siyeon said like a true gentlewoman. My heart stopped. Gahyeon, Sorn, and Yeeun were squealing behind me, and Yujin squeezed me tight, squeaking into my shoulder. Seungyeon just crossed her arms and looked Siyeon up and down.

 

“For your sake, I hope you do.” Seungyeon hummed. “Text us when you’re home. Don’t stay out late.” She patted my shoulder with a smirk, and went back to the rest of the girls. 

 

“Good luck!” Yujin whispered before turning and following Seungyeon like a lost puppy. I heard the sounds of giggling and clicking heels fade as they returned to the studio to change and pick up their belongings. When I was sure they were out of earshot, I finally looked up and met Siyeon’s eyes. 

 

“Sorry about them…” I mumbled awkwardly.

 

“No, no, they care about you. That’s good.” Siyeon chuckled. “Sorry for scaring you.” 

 

“It’s okay, it wasn’t your fault. I’ll get Yeeun back for it someday.” I smiled a little, folding my hands in front of myself politely. Siyeon took a step closer, and handed me a cute pink gift bag. I held it tight by its little twine handles. 

 

“It’s just pepper spray, but...it seems wrong to give you anything too casually.” 

 

“Thank you...you didn’t have to do this.” I chewed on my bottom lip nervously, rocking back and forth on my heels a little. I could feel my face burning in embarrassment, and couldn’t stand to look up anymore. “I appreciate it a lot, but...you’re probably busy, and it’s so late…” 

 

“It’s okay. I don’t mind.” Her soft hand rose to cradle my cheek, and her thumb gently rubbed over my hot skin. “Are you okay? You’re really warm…” 

 

“I’m fine…” I mumbled, and couldn’t help but lean into her touch a bit. 

 

“Oh, I almost forgot.” She dropped her hand from my face; I nearly grabbed it and smacked it right back on. “What was it that you couldn’t explain through text?”

 

“Oh, that, I- Well, you see- Actually, it’s kinda funny-” I stumbled across my words, and searched awkwardly for the right way to handle this. I didn’t even know if I should tell her. What if she wasn’t interested? Sure, she probably is, but that’s not totally certain. I didn’t want her to leave my life. All I knew was that she could probably see my heart beating out of my chest, and she looked so damn soft and warm in that designer sweater. I don’t know who moved first, but in a split second, my face pressed against the expensive fabric, and my arms wrapped around her slim waist while hers held me tightly. 

 

“You can’t tell me?” She asked, lips moving against the top of my head. I nodded, and let myself melt into her soothing voice. “Then can I ask you something?” I nodded again. “I’m sure you know what a sugar daddy is. What about a sugar mommy?” My heart nearly exploded out of my chest. My eyes shot open, and wriggled away from her just enough to see her face. She wasn’t joking. 

 

“Y-Yeah...I know what that is…” I said quietly, with shaking legs. 

 

“Do you want a sugar mommy?” She asked gently. “No strings attached.. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.” 

 

“I-I…” I was at a complete loss for words, and felt like the biggest idiot in the world. 

 

“If you need time to think, that’s okay.” She said with a soft smile. 

 

“No!” I yelped, then covered my mouth. That was louder than I intended. “I mean, yes.” 

 

“Yes, you need time to think?” She giggled quietly. 

 

“No, no, no, no, no- or, maybe?” I ruffled my hair in frustration as reality began to set in. I’d get to leave the cafe, and I could be a full member of Insomnia again. At the cost of my independence. I’d have to rely on Siyeon for everything, and I wasn’t sure if my pride could take it. If anything happened between Siyeon and I, I’d be broke and alone, and I’d have to leave Insomnia again. 

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to.” She patted my shoulder comfortingly. 

 

“It’s not that I don’t want to. I do want to. I just...I need to think…it’s a lot.” 

 

“That’s fine with me.” She grinned, and gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze. “Do you want a ride?” 

 

“Y-Yes, please.” I sighed, giving up on my fear of Siyeon seeing my smeared makeup, or perhaps smelling if my deodorant wore off. My feet hurt too much from those goddamn heels. Her hand travelled down to the small of my back, and she guided me to the passenger’s side of the vehicle. I stepped back, expecting her to pull the door out. She pressed a button on her keys, and the doors opened upwards. This woman was really loaded, huh? 

 

“Never been in a Lambo before?” She chuckled, giving me a gentle nudge towards the car. “It’s not gonna bite you.” I cautiously sat on the pristine tan leather seat, while Siyeon walked around the car and hopped into the driver’s seat. I put on my seatbelt, rested the gift bag on my lap, and folded my hands awkwardly. The engine roared to life, and the headlights were back on. “Where are we going?” 

 

“Oh! Um...I should head to the studio to get my stuff. It’s not far at all. Just take a left out of the parking lot.” I said quietly, intimidated by the sheer amount of luxury surrounding me. This car probably cost at least twice as much as my whole tuition. Once she started driving, I only felt more out of place. She was the smoothest driver that I had ever had the pleasure of being in a car with. 

 

“Relax, cutie.” She chuckled, turning left as I asked her to. “You’re so tense.” 

 

“I can’t.” I whimpered nervously. 

 

“It’s just a car.” She rolled her eyes. “Is that it?” She pointed her thumb at the studio, where...of course, the other members of Insomnia were chatting. 

 

“Yeah…” I sighed. “I’m never gonna hear the end of this.” She laughed, and pulled up to the building, then pressed the button that opened my door.

 

“Get some sleep, and text me when you get home.” She called after me as I awkwardly shuffled out of the car, trying to keep my skirt down. 

 

“I will!” I waved good-bye, and scurried over to my friends before watching her drive off. 

 

“How was it?!” 

 

“What happened?!”

 

“Did she touch you?” 

 

“I think I’m having a heart attack.” I breathed out a sigh of relief. The tension inside that car was suffocating. I didn’t want to think about it inside the car, and make things even more awkward, but I swore I saw her sneaking glances at my thighs and chest. My stomach fluttered as my mind wandered to what could’ve happened in the car if I was more comfortable… 

 

“Earth to SuA?” Yoobin waved her hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my Siyeon-induced trance. I looked at everyone’s faces, eagerly waiting to hear what happened. 

 

“Nothing, really.” I chuckled awkwardly, and raised the bag a little bit. “She gave me pepper spray; we were talking about it a couple days ago. Nothing special. Then, she offered me a ride, and my feet were killing me, so…” I shrugged. I couldn’t tell them about how I failed miserably to confess my feelings to Siyeon, or about her proposition to become my sugar mommy. I’m sure they’d be supportive, especially since I’d be back in Insomnia full-time, but...I didn’t want to let anyone sway my decision. I needed to think about this on my own, and consult the always-level-headed Yoobin if I really felt lost. 

 

“That’s it?!” Yujin whined. “Geez...you took so long…” 

 

“My five dollars, please.” Gahyeon smirked, holding out her open hand to Yujin. 

 

“Did you bet on-?” 

 

“Yujin and Yeeun said that you two were probably making out. I said that you were too awkward. We placed bets. I won.” Gahyeon said nonchalantly, pocketing the ten dollars she received from Yujin and Yeeun. 

 

“I grabbed your bag, just in case.” Yoobin said, hoisting my bag up onto her shoulder. “I’ll carry it, since your hands are full.”

 

“It’s one bag with pepper spray.” I scoffed, pulling my bag off of her shoulder. I ped it and slid the pink bag inside, then closed the bag back up. 

 

“Alright, I guess we’ll see each other tomorrow…?” Seungyeon looked at me, waiting for an answer. I could totally get all my homework done tomorrow before we needed to meet, right?

 

“Sure.” I grinned.

 

“Great! Feel free to get some ideas going for our next covers. We’ll decide what we cover, and get a little bit of work done on it, okay?” Seungyeon clapped her hands together excitedly. “Get home safe, all of you!” 

 

“See ya tomorrow!” Yeeun cheered before taking off running with Yujin; Gahyeon chased after them, since they shared a dorm building. Meanwhile, Yoobin, Sorn, Seungyeon, and I began the short trek to our building.