My Number

Iced Americano

“So, what’s up with your girl?” Haseul smirked as I nervously put the angelic woman- no, Siyeon’s money in the register and took out the change, putting it in the pocket of my apron. It was nice to put a name to the slender curves and kind smile that made my heart flutter. 

 

“She’s not mine…” I groaned quietly, turning to face where she sat, texting with one hand, while the other held the drink she sipped. 

 

“Well, I mean…” She hummed, nudging me with her shoulder playfully. “Sugar mommy?” I felt my face heat up. 

 

“No!” I squeaked, drawing Siyeon’s attention. I wanted to die in that moment. That was one of the most childish noises I could have made, and of course, Siyeon probably could tell that it came from me. I wanted to crawl under the counter and never come out, but Siyeon’s eyes were still on me. “I mean, I, Haseul, listen, she gives me tips, yes, and they’re big tips, yes,  but that doesn’t make her my sugar mommy or anything.” I whispered, trying to avoid Siyeon’s scrutiny. 

 

“Mhm.” She shrugged. “Sure.” I watched the red haired woman with her girlfriend raise her hand. “Hold on, we’re not done yet.” She winked at me, then went to take the two girls’ order. They were a cute couple; they looked really close, and you could just feel the chemistry between them. I wanted a relationship like that. The brown haired girl looked like she just rolled out of bed, but the red haired girl was dressed to the nines in expensive-looking clothing and well-styled hair. Nevertheless, the red haired girl was doting on her with all the affection in the world, making the taller girl laugh and giggle despite the dark circles under her eyes. 

 

I glanced over at Siyeon, who was looking me up and down with dark eyes. I shivered under her gaze. She made me feel small and weak and helpless, but...in a good way. I felt protected and safe, despite the feeling of weakness. I turned and started to wipe down the machines, just so I didn’t risk eye contact with Siyeon. I didn’t want her to think I was creepy, staring at her and all. However, when I turned around, I only felt more self-conscious. I could almost feel her eyes staring at my . If this were any other person, I’d have Haseul protect me behind the counter, but this was a goddess-like woman. This was Siyeon. I kind of liked her staring at me, even if it made me so nervous I thought I’d puke. I kept wiping down the machines, pretending I didn’t know her eyes were still on me. 

 

“She’s checking you out.” Haseul hummed to me, using one of the machines I just cleaned to get the couple’s order. 

 

“I know…” I mumbled, my face burning. 

 

“Should I ask her to leave?” Haseul asked. We were used to older men checking us out, in which case Haseul would promptly ask them to leave. Older women would check us out, too, sometimes, but it usually wasn’t much better than when the men did it. This was Siyeon, though. The gorgeous woman with a kind smile, who seemed to have a big heart. I shook my head. 

 

“I gave her my number.” I giggled nervously, knowing how my motherly coworker would react. 

 

“You what?!” She scolded me under her breath, and took the order to the couple with a smile. I bit my lip nervously, waiting for her to return and continue scolding me. “Now those two are asking about you, too. Jeez, what did you do before this?” 

 

“I was just a student. A normal high school student.” I assured her. 

 

“Any odd jobs?” She raised an eyebrow.

 

“I swear!” I laughed. Haseul rolled her eyes. 

 

“Anyways. She stopped staring, if you wanna relax a bit. Now explain. You gave her your number?” 

 

“Okay, okay, so I was gonna cover her order myself, but then she asked how much she owed me and I told her that I was gonna cover it. So then, she gives me a ten dollar bill and tells me to keep the change, like, no that’s the opposite of what I wanted.” Haseul started laughing, but I continued. “No, no, no shush. Not done. So, I asked how I’m supposed to repay her for the extra money, because I’m just doing my job. And she said I could repay her by giving her my number-”

 

“So you’ve got a sugar mommy now.” 

 

“No, no, not true, no.” I groaned. “She was joking. But...honestly? She’s gorgeous. And she seems nice. So...yeah, I kinda wanted to give her my number, if she was flirting with me and if she was interested, because...I mean, hell yeah, I’d date her. So, then she said if I wanted to give her my number I could, so I just kinda...took my chance. Now she has my number.” I fiddled with my fingers nervously. “Do you think she’ll text me?” 

 

“The way she’s been looking at you? Definitely.” Haseul patted my back. 

 

“I hope so.” I hummed, picking up the cleaning spray and a rag. “I’m gonna wipe down the tables?” 

 

“You’re gonna try to be as close to your sugar mommy as possible without being too obvious?” She raised an eyebrow at me. I chose to ignore her, and began wiping down the tables. I started with the tables farthest from Siyeon, so I could admire her from a distance, without being noticed. Maybe the cute couple noticed me, but that didn’t matter. I inched closer to her, table by table, my heart fluttering as I came closer. She was unbelievably gorgeous. She was goddess-like. Ethereal. I passed her table and cleaned the tables in her line of sight, pretending I was unfazed by her presence. I could feel her eyes on me again; I was happy to have her attention, even if it made me dizzy with nervousness. I couldn’t help but smile as I wiped down the tables, knowing I had attracted one of the most beautiful women in the world. 

 

“Bora, dear.” I spun around fast, turning to face her. I had finished wiping down the tables, and was putting the cleaning supplies away behind the counter. “Thanks for letting me see that cute smile of yours again. I’ll text you soon.” I watched as she pulled a fair amount of money out of her pocket, and held it out for me to take. I glanced down at the money, then up at her face. “Just take it, please.” She took my hand and placed the money in it, then curled my fingers around the bills gently. Her skin was warm and soft against mine - so unbelievably soft. I wanted to hold her hand or...something, anything, so long as I could feel her skin against mine.

 

“Why…?” I asked, stunned at the amount of money she put in my hands and the gentleness of her touch. 

 

“You’re in college, aren’t you?” I nodded in response. “College is stressful. Relax a little. Treat yourself.” She patted my hand. “I should get back to work, now, but it was great to see you.” 

 

“I, uh…uhm, thank you.” I spoke quietly. 

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll text you when I get to work so you have my number.” She smiled and turned away from me, and walked out the door of the cafe. I curiously opened my hand to see the bills; it seemed like there was more here than yesterday. I sat on the ground behind the counter, out of sight of the customers, and unfolded the bills, preparing to count them with shaky fingers. A little white piece of paper fell onto my lap. I picked it up and read it, pocketing the money for a moment. “Miss Bora, please don’t be shy. If I’m coming on too strongly, let me know.” It was written with such pretty handwriting...fitting for a woman like Siyeon. It was a little messy, but that just made it prettier. I read the letter a couple more times, then folded it shut again. I put it in the pocket of my jeans instead of the pocket of my apron, keeping it extra-safe. 

 

“A note from your lover?” Haseul hummed teasingly. 

 

“Shush.” I giggled.

 

“How much did she give you today?” She asked. 

 

“Oh, I...oops. I forgot to count it.” I chuckled nervously, and pulled the money out of my apron pocket. My jaw dropped as I counted to seventy dollars, but there were still bills left. I finished counting the money with wide eyes, and put it in my apron pocket again. “One hundred dollars.” I whispered into Haseul’s ear, as if getting tip money was a taboo. This much, however...

 

“I told you, you have a sugar mommy.” She laughed.



 

As soon as closing time rolled around, I ran into the changing room and grabbed my phone, checking to see if I had a text from Siyeon. I saw that I had a few text notifications, one from Gahyeon, one from Yoobin, and...one from an unknown number. My friends could wait. I opened up the message from the unknown number. 

 

Unknown Number: 

[Hello, dear! It’s Siyeon from the cafe. Let me know when you’re off of work, please?]

 

I squealed. Probably a little too loud, but I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t believe she actually texted me. Someone as gorgeous and kind as Siyeon was actually...interested in talking to me. She didn’t have to text me. She could’ve made up a lie, saying she got busy and didn’t have time to text me. She could’ve easily refused my number at the cafe earlier. Yet, here she was, talking to me. 

 

Bora:

[Hello, Siyeon! I just finished work. How are you?] 

 

I figured that was a decent enough reply. I didn’t seem overly excited to talk to her, but I wasn’t apathetic in my response. I knew shouldn’t overthink these things, but I couldn’t help it. She was...probably the most amazing woman I’ve ever met. I checked the time she sent me the text: twelve forty-five in the afternoon. She must have texted me as soon as she left the cafe. I was honored to be on her mind. 



 

I entered my dorm to find Yoobin and Gahyeon snuggled up on Yoobin’s bed. Gahyeon was playing a game on her 3DS, while Yoobin’s arms were wrapped around her waist, and her chin was resting on the younger girl’s shoulder. They looked up when they heard the door open, and greeted me. “Hey, Bora.” Gahyeon hummed, turning her attention back to her game. 

 

“Did your sugar mommy show up today?” Yoobin asked, causing Gahyeon to drop her game system and spin around to look at me. I waved her off, and pulled my phone out of my pocket to see if I had a response from Siyeon. 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon: 

[I’m doing well, thank you! And yourself? Hopefully work wasn’t stressful?]

 

Bora: 

[I’m doing good! Sorry about the late response again… :( I was walking home.]

 

“Earth to Bora!” Gahyeon waved her arms in front of me. “Sugar mommy?” 

 

“She’s not my sugar mommy.” I chuckled nervously, taking the note out of my pocket “But look what she gave me!” I showed them the note excitedly, but they both looked at me like I was crazy. 

 

“No money today?” Yoobin asked.

 

“So, no sugar mommy?” Gahyeon whined. 

 

“I-” I sighed, and took the one hundred (and five) dollars out of my pocket that she gave me today. “She gave me over a hundred dollars today, and I don’t know how she can afford to do this. But read the note!” I the paper into their hands, and they read it over. 

 

“Aww, cute!” Gahyeon hummed. “So, you’re playing hard-to-get, huh?” 

 

“No!” I groaned. “She just...makes me nervous. She’s really pretty. I told you, she looks like she’s straight out of a magazine or something! She’s a full goddess of a woman, I’m telling you!” I flopped down on my bed, and opened my phone, not wanting to miss a single text from Siyeon. I’d respond quicker this time, I promised myself. I didn’t want her to think I was blowing her off, or that I didn’t really care that she was texting me. I cared a lot, I really did, I just...life gets in the way. “And gimme my note back.” I held out my hand, and I felt Yoobin put the note in my hand. I skimmed over it again, then laid it next to me on my bed.

 

“Are you gonna sleep with the note or something?” Yoobin asked, chuckling.

 

“No…” I lied, pretending I wasn’t planning on sleeping with the note under my pillow. I felt my phone buzz, and I picked it up fast, rolling onto my stomach. It was from Siyeon. I squealed, kicking my mattress with excitement, then opened the message, not noticing that Gahyeon and Yoobin were peering over my shoulder. 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[Walking home? This late? That’s dangerous…] 

 

Bora: 

[It’s fine, I don’t walk anywhere too shady.]

 

“No!” Gahyeon hit me as soon as I pressed send. “Are you kidding? A period?” 

 

“What…?” I raised an eyebrow at her. “You were reading over my shoulder!” I gasped. 

 

“Thank God I was!” She put a hand over her heart. “You have no idea how to flirt. Are you trying to scare her off?” 

 

“I-” 

 

“First of all, don’t ever put a period at the end of a text ever again. Like, ever.” Gahyeon raised her index finger, shutting me up. “Second, she’s worried about you! Work with that! Say something like ‘it’s a little scary’ or ‘I wish I didn’t have to walk home by myself’ or-” 

 

“The second one was too obvious, hon.” Yoobin hummed. 

 

“Anything is better than a full period at the end of a text!” She stomped her foot impatiently. “That’s so passive-aggressive!” My phone buzzed. I picked it up, but Gahyeon took it from me, and read the text out loud. “‘Do you at least have pepper spray?’” She rolled her eyes, then handed me my phone. “No. You don’t have pepper spray. You’re nervous walking home alone, but you have to do it anyway. You want a strong, beautiful girlfriend to walk you home. Or a rich one with a car to drive you home. Or drive you back to her place.” 

 

“I’d rather n-” 

 

“I’ll send her your nudes.” She threatened. I clutched my phone close to my chest, shocked that she not only knew I had taken nudes before, but that she might have seen them before and knew what folder they were in.

 

“How’d you know I have- forget it. Fine.”I gave in, not wanting to risk Gahyeon sending Siyeon pictures of me in frilly pink lingerie and ribbons. I typed out the text and sent it before Gahyeon took my phone away again. 

 

Bora:

[No, I don’t have pepper spray :( I wish I didn’t have to walk home alone, it’s kinda scary]

 

“Well...at least you didn’t use a period…” Gahyeon sighed. “You’ve got a lot of work ahead of you, though. And maybe you should consider sending those nudes at some point. And maybe take some new ones. She might not be into the whole ‘babygirl’ thing. Maybe she wants a brattier girl? We don’t know.” She shrugged. I smacked her arm, making her give my phone back after she read my message. 

 

“You really did see my nudes.” I groaned. She shrugged, as if it was no big deal. 

 

“You asked Yoobin for her opinion on your s. When you ask Yoobin for her opinion, you also ask for mine.” She hummed. I glared at Yoobin.

 

“You sent me nudes, first of all. I wanted to make sure Gahyeon knew I wasn’t doing anything behind her back.” She explained timidly, holding her hands up. “She gets jealous.” 

 

“Thanks, Yoobin.” I sighed. “And I’m not sending her any nudes unless she asks.” I felt my phone buzz, and tucked it into my shirt before Gahyeon could try to take it from me. 

 

“Fine, don’t let me help.” Gahyeon shrugged, and tossed herself onto Yoobin’s bed. “Just don’t come crying to me when she thinks you’re not interested, and finds another sugar baby.” I took my phone out of my shirt as Yoobin mouthed a silent apology to me, and joined Gahyeon on her bed. Yoobin might’ve topped in bed, but Gahyeon wore the pants. 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[I’m sorry to hear that :( I can bring you some pepper spray if you’d like, and I could drive you home after work if you wanted?]

 

I screamed. I buried my face in my pillow, smearing eyeliner and mascara and lip tint, but I didn’t care. The thought of being alone with Siyeon was too much. In a car, of all places, where we’d be in private, but also close enough to touch… I tried to pull my thoughts away from more mature places, but failed. Mental images of Siyeon parking in an alley and pulling me onto her lap raced through my mind. Or maybe she’d my thigh with one hand, while the other one held the wheel. Maybe she’d make me kneel between her legs and eat her out while she drove. The more I tried to pull my thoughts out of the gutter, the worse they got. I took my face out of the pillow, and met the confused gazes of Yoobin and Gahyeon. 

 

“Help?” I whimpered, holding up my phone. Gahyeon squealed with delight, and joined me on my bed, her girlfriend long forgotten. Gahyeon read the text, then patted my back. 

 

“You want her to drive you home?” She asked, raising an eyebrow mischievously. “Well, not yet. You can’t be too easy. Make her work a little.” She tapped her chin, deep in thought. “Okay. You’ll take the pepper spray, but you don’t want to be a bother and make her pick you up.” She grinned, and I began typing out the message.

 

“Is this how you texted me before we started dating?” Yoobin asked, alone on her bed.

 

“You don’t need to know that.” Gahyeon hummed. “I have you now, don’t I?” 

 

“Do you?” Yoobin asked teasingly. 

 

“I do.” Gahyeon huffed, and got out of my bed. I heard Yoobin grunt as Gahyeon threw herself onto her. “See?” 

 

Bora:

[I don’t want to be a bother :( The pepper spray would be nice, but I don’t want you to go out of your way to pick me up]

 

I pressed send, and enviously watched my best friend and her girlfriend (who ended up becoming my second best friend) get into a petty argument. You could tell they were just teasing each other though, and they enjoyed it. Gahyeon hopped onto Yoobin’s lap and pressed their lips together. I turned my gaze back to my phone, and waited for a response from Siyeon while I was forced to listen to the sound of their lips reconnecting over and over again. Maybe I should get headphones with the money Siyeon gave me. My phone buzzed and I eagerly opened my messages again.

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[Let me know when your next shift at the cafe is, and I’ll bring you pepper spray then. I really don’t mind picking you up, but I won’t force you. Call me if you ever want a ride home!]

 

I hugged my phone tightly to my chest before responding.

 

Bora: 

[I’ll be there tomorrow from 10am to 4pm :) Thank you for everything!!] 

 

Si-Angel-Yeon:

[Perfect, I’ll come during my lunch break.] 

 

Her response was instant. I was about to squeal and freak out like a high school girl, when I heard a whimper-like moan from the bed across the room. I grabbed one of my pillows and whipped it at Yoobin and Gahyeon. “I’m still here, you know.” 

 

“Sorry.” Yoobin and Gahyeon mumbled. I rolled my eyes and texted Siyeon, then started on my homework.