Joyous Jealousy

Oblivious- A series

So I thought why not keep writing shorts about this dynamic. Who knows where it will lead...

***

A small head peered out from the hallway, catching the eyes of one Wendy Son. Wendy stood beside her girlfriend of four years, Irene Bae, as they proceeded with their interrogations. The victim? A nice third year from Wendy’s literature class. The objective? Set Joy up with a nice man.

 

“And will you tell her how beautiful she is everyday? Because she is beautiful. And you should tell her all the time.” Wendy said with her brows furrowed. Irene was stewing beside her, after fifteen minutes of Wendy’s appraisal for Joy and her many, many, many, many attributes, Irene was becoming more and more jealous.

 

“I...uh...uhm…” The poor boy, who Wendy did not bother to get the name of was stuttering up a mess. Taking pity upon him, Irene softly told the boy that he could head out, prompting him to scurry off.

 

“We can’t just set her up with anyone! He needs to adore her. Like-”

 

“As much as you do?” Irene asked with annoyance. Wendy looked to see Irene in full angry form. Before Wendy could even begin to explain herself, Irene stuck her hand up. “Save it Seungwan. Just submit your own application to date her.” With that Irene walked away. Slacked jaw Wendy was then met with a teasing Yeri and Seulgi who were both in a fit of giggles.

 

“Wow, you really did it now.” Yeri commented. “I mean you went on and on and ON about Joy, I was also surprised you weren’t dating her.” Recalling every detail that Wendy gave, she began to realize that she may have gone overboard with the descriptions of Joy.

 

“How mad is she?” Wendy asked with a dejected look.

 

“Hmm...I think it’s more jealousy than anything else. A little grovelling and a lot of making up is in order.” Seulgi said. “I'm sure she will go find Jennie and complain about you and have her cheer her up today.” Wendy nodded, accepting her mistake. Voices entered the hallway and at the familiar tone of Irene, Wendy shot her head up. Stopping before them was Jennie Kim, her roomate Jisoo, and Irene.

 

“Irene’s going to be staying with us. She’d like you to know that you are free to have anyone over in your half of the dorm.” With that said, they walked off, leaving a wide eyed and saddened Wendy in their wake.

 

“Okay I take it back. She is out for blood.” Seulgi said with sympathy.

 

***

 

“Joy Park!” yelled out a voice. Turning around, she was met with a familiar group of friends. Seulgi, Sunmi, and Yeri all stood with smiles tugging along a depressed looking Wendy. “You broke Wendy!”

 

“I haven’t been here in two weeks! I had that class trip remember? How did I break Wendy?” Yeri shook her head before sitting Wendy down on Joy’s bed. The rest clamoured around finding room where they could to take a seat.

 

“Irene and Wendy were looking for  guy to set you up with per your orders.” Joy raised an eyebrow in acknowledgment. “And while laying down the ‘How to handle Park Sooyoung guide’ it seems our zealous hamster created a hellishly jealous rabbit. So she is in the doghouse.”

 

“Oh?” Joy asked with wide eyes. “Where are you staying?” Wendy looked disinterestedly at the rug, tugging at the fibers before mumbling dorm.

 

“Irene’s been in Jeannie and Jisoo’s dorm since last Thursday.” Sunmi informed her.

 

“So a week alone?” Joy asked, “Knowing Irene she’s not talking to you is she?” Everyone shook their heads no. “So jealous, I’m sure we can get her to come to her senses.”

 

“Well that’s the thing. Wendy doesn’t want to.” Seulgi informed her.

 

“Yeah she wants to get you the perfect man first,” Yeri added in. Wendy looked up at them all before settling in on Joy’s face.

 

“I found him actually.” Wendy stated. “But someone beat me to it.” They all looked over to the girl in wonder. “Sungjae. Just transferred here from Bastille, Family owns a tech company, and he is totally into Joy.” Everyone shouted out a “How do you know?” Before Wendy kept going. “The reason I know he likes her is because he asked her out over the trip, and they did go out, three times in two weeks. He texted me thanking me for the date plan he needed to have set up while you guys were there.”

 

“JOY HAS A MAN?!”

 

“Cause for celebration is later everyone, we have to get Irene out of this mood. And I have JUST the idea.” Joy said evilly before picking up the phone.

 

***

 

“Don’t  you think that you’ve punished the girl enough? I mean you haven’t spoken to her in a week. Honestly at this rate she really should just invite someone else over.” Jennie told Irene.

 

“Jennie!” Jisoo exclaimed.

 

“I’m being seriously. The only thing more depressing than seeing Irene so alone for the past two weeks is seeing Wendy look like a kicked down puppy everytime you see her. I swear it looks like the girl didn’t sleep. She’s got the saddest eyes. During Literature I hugged her for the duration of the class just so she could smile a little.” Jennie said. A death glare was shot at her via Irene and it did nothing but make Jennie laugh. “Bring it down green eyed monster. YOU are the one who won’t talk to the adorable hamster.”

 

A loud sigh escaped Irene. “I just don’t know what to say to her.”

 

“Well let’s see. She apologised to you, sent you flowers, sent a stuffed hamster plush that we all know you cuddle with at night, she wore your purple hoodie that one day, made you a letter, sent you lunch that day we had a long practice…” Jennie said reading off her list of Wendy’s apology attempts. “Honestly at this rate you kind of owe her an apology you dense fruit cake.” Irene gave Jennie a sad look before Jisoo caught their attention.

 

“Where are they going?”  Before them Joy, Sunmi, Yeri, and Wendy all had a suitcase and a couple bags packed. Walking up to them Jennie could barely get the words out before Irene beat her to it.

 

“Where are you all going?” she asked. Irene stared straight at Wendy who did nothing but lower her head with her sad expression of the past week.

 

“We are taking Wendy on a trip, we sent the request in and got approved if you were gonna flag us on it.” Joy said looking at her nails.

 

“How long?” Jisoo questioned.

 

“Well we got pardoned for the next week and then the week after is break so we will be back after that. Don’t miss us too much.”

 

Irene’s eyes widened, “That’s...that’s….two weeks of break, you can’t go for two weeks.”

 

“And why not?” Yeri asked.


“Not you Yeri, Seungwan.” Irene said staring at Wendy hard. “Our anniversary is next week. You won’t be here for it…”

 

“I heard you haven’t been sleeping in the same room as her, let alone speaking to her. Quite a lonely anniversary isn’t it?” Joy asked with a tad of malice.

 

“Look, I’m sorry Sunshine,” the nickname caught Wendy’s attention as she looked up, “I wanted to talk to you the next day, but I just get remembering and then getting upset again. Then you sent all those gifts and I felt worse about not having spoken to you...I swear I was going to head to you today. I miss you…don’t leave please.”

 

“We already booked the trip. Can’t back out now.” Sunmi stated just as she said that Seulgi pulls up, followed by a second car with none other than Sungjae. Saeron is already in Sungjae’s car as Yeri runs off to her.

 

“So it worked out with Sungjae after all?” Irene asked Joy.

 

“Yeah,” Joy smiled fondly at the dorky guy waving frantically, “He is pretty great.”

 

Watching the last of two rush over Irene walked up to Wendy who was still standing there. “Don’t go Sunshine please… I’ll make it up to you.”

 

“I have to, I already booked the trip…” Wendy whispered looking at Irene’s sad eyes.

 

“But that means we would have been apart for a month… thats so long…” Irene whined. “I’m sorry Sunshine. Please stay.”

 

Before Wendy could say anything, a loud shout came from the cars. “WILL YOU TELL HER THAT WE ARE ALL GOING ALREADY! IT’S HOT AND JOY JUST CALLED SUNGJAE SOME WEIRD PET NAME!” Jennie shouted from the second car. Irene looked to Wendy who was now smiling her wide smile.

 

“Love, i’d never go anywhere without you. I booked the our anniversary. Your stuff is here with mine, so let’s go. Wendy said grabbing Irene’s arm. Irene smiled wide, hopping into the back of Seulgi’s car with Wendy. She heard Seulgi shout to Sungjae that they were all set. Once they were settled, Irene through herself onto Wendy wrapping herself around her. “Aren’t we clingy.” Irene nuzzled more into Wendy before peppering her with kisses.

“I was away from you for a week. Consider me a koala for the next two weeks Sunshine.” Irene said in hushed tone. Wendy just laughed and tugged her closer. Their cute moment was interrupted by Yeri’s fake gagging noises.

 

“Seul, they made up! Permission to spray with water if they start making out?” Yeri asked. Seulgi, Sunmi, Saeron, and Wendy all laughed at Yeri’s antics. Irene, however, leaned into her ear and whispered something that made her go rigid and shout nevermind. Curiously Wendy peered to Irene who snuggled back in.

 

“I told her that if she let us be, we’d help her with Saeron. So I guess that was an agreement. Now let’s nap, I have seven nights of sunshine-less sleep to make up for.”

 

***

 

It was a couple hours into the road, a majority of the passengers were all shuffled about, Wendy took over driving and Seulgi sat beside her while everyone else slept in the back. The only way to get Irene to let Wendy drive was to steal Wendy’s sweater which she now had on. In all the quiet Seulgi turned to Wendy and whispered,”I have our new mission…” Wendy hummed in response before Seulgi continued. “I’m going to propose.”