Oblivious

Oblivious- A series

It was a day like any other in their small dorm. Well as normal a day when Yeri and Joy were involved. The two girls stood at the window overlooking the courtyard of the dorms, four floors up. Seulgi looked at their backs and crossed her arms with an impatient huff.

 

“What on earth are you two doing?” They two mischievous girls turned around, playful expressions plastered on their faces.

 

“Seems Wendy and Irene are taking a stroll. We want to see if someone will make a move!” Yeri had a face of pure delight as she and Joy both turned back to the window.

 

Despite her initial hesitation, Seulgi’s curiosity won out and she took tucked her head above the two troublemakers. Down below they could see two figures talking intimately. One was a beautiful girl, every person who passed by them stopped to gaze at her. The other, equally as beautiful, but in a much more subtle way.

 

Wendy and Irene were the pair of friends that everyone so hopelessly wished would get together. They had all the contributing factors for a well made couple. Wendy was bright, outgoing, and took everyone’s thoughts and feelings into consideration. Irene was reserved, kind, and very protective. They had formed their friendship young, bonding so soon after meeting. The only person who knew Irene longer than Wendy was Seulgi, but they really did have a strictly platonic relationship.

 

The true cause of the trio’s hope for the adorably dubbed “Wenrene” couple was all in part to Wendy’s jealousy.

 

“Oh! Look it’s Eric!” Joy’s observation was met with even more interested leaning on their part. Approaching the not couple was notorious Wendy fanboy Eric Nam. Upper class man, very nice to everyone, totally has 0 gaydar. Not that Wendy’s uality was the only tip off that Eric should’ve had, but the boy seemed to have a crush on every queer girl at the school. Wendy, Solar, Taeyeon, heck even Sunmi who was Seulgi’s very out and about girlfriend.

 

Needless to say, kind hearted Eric was the receiving end of many a joke. Many being tied to his blunder with Solar, where her idea or friendship translated to Eric’s hope of dating. Moonbyul, Solar’s incredibly understanding girlfriend gave him a friendly handshake and told him that unfortunately the pretty fool was spoken for.

 

And now here they were, watching the young man approach Wendy and Irene’s...whatever it was they called this, with a bouquet. He was wells away which made Yeri run downstairs so she would be able to listen in on the inevitable rejection that was coming Eric’s way.

 

***

 

They had run into Sunmi on the way downstairs, who greeted Seulgi with what would’ve been an adorable kiss on the cheek if she wasn’t dragged along with the three girls. Now behind a tree, out of Wendy and Irene’s immediate sight, the four girls peeled out with curiosity finally able to listen in on the conversation they’d been watching for the past twenty minutes.

 

“Sunshine, don’t do that.” came Irene’s soft voice. The only downside to their new hiding spot was their lack of full view. They can only witness the back of their friends on the bench, so whatever Wendy was doing, wasn’t visible to them.  

 

“Oh come on, so I paid for them this time. What’s the problem with that? I want to spoil you too.” Wendy replied with a light laugh.

 

“It’s suppose to be my apology for all that Bogum stuff that happened in theatre.” Oh yes, the entire reason behind Jealous Wendy. It seemed as though their theatre teacher felt that pairing up students at random to act out infamous scenes in film and theatre was the reason behind Wendy’s now infamous outburst. One computer generated “Bogum/Irene- Ghost” performance, and Wendy Son went on a jealous tyraid. Not only was Bogum now scared of Wendy and her deadly glares, but Irene was given the silent treatment up until yesterday.

 

Jealous Wendy was a woman on a mission, and one that all four girls hoped Irene realize that Wendy Son was totally smitten with her childhood best friend.

 

“That wasn’t even a big deal!” Wendy said with a forced laugh.

 

Irene leaned away from her and looked at her for a while. Suddenly the girls saw her tug at her dress shirt collar, “Oh sunshine, explain why I-“

 

“Hello Wendy!”

 

The four girls saw Irene and Wendy snap their head the person intruding on their conversation. Eric had his widest smile on and the flowers hidden from the girls before him. Sunmi, Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri all have each other a look of worry before reverting back to the scene before them.

 

“Hey Eric? Did you forget your chemistry notes again? I don’t remember picking them up…”

 

Eric gave her a nervous laugh and shook his head. His gaze went to Irene suddenly and his wife laugh became a hopeful smile.

 

“Irene, May I speak to Wendy alone?” Irene seemed to pause before ultimately nodding and walking away from the two. She didn’t get far before she was yanked behind the enormous tree the girls were behind.

 

“What on earth are you four doing here?!” She exclaimed. She was met with a resounding shush before they all peaked again. This time joined by a curious Irene. The five girls all say Wendy stand, asking Eric what he could want with her.

 

“Wendy, I know that you only know me because I assist your chemistry class, but I feel like we HAVE chemistry and would make a great pair.” He presents her the flowers and smiles at her nervously. “Please go out with me tonight?”

 

No one could see Wendy’s face, but they could all see Irene’s. A solemn look came over her. Anticipation on her features just like in Eric’s.

 

“Uhm, Eric…” Yeri, Joy, Seulgi, and Sunmi all winced at the trail off by Wendy. “I am uhm...well I’m gay.” Eric’s eyes widened in disbelief. The girls all have a look of pity on their faces, except Irene, who still stood stoically.

 

“Since...since when?” At this, the fours girls’ mouths dropped. That was not the response they would hear from the boy.

 

“Well…since Irene held my hand on my 13th birthday I suppose. I mean that’s just my guess. What really cemented it was when I told her I loved her last year… kinda makes me a taken woman doesn’t it?” Instantly, the four girls turned to a now flushing Irene.

 

“Let me see your collar Irene!” Yeri whispered shouted. She lunged for Irene before their attention was back on Wendy and Eric due to his outburst.

 

“But...you...flirted!”

 

“I told you that your bow tie was cute? I mean if that’s flirting, then Irene is going to be mighty jealous.”

 

“I see. My apologies then…” Dejected, Eric walked away with an air of sadness.

 

“See you in chem!” Wendy she shouted after him.

 

“Sunshine…” Wendy snapper back with wide eyes, met with an angered Irene, and four very curious faces.

 

“YOU BONED IRENE! FOR THREE YEARS! Oh. My. God.” Yeri shouted grabbing onto Irene’s arm and jerking her around. Wendy smacked Yeri off Irene, only to take her place instead.

 

“We did not!” Irene exclaimed.

 

“Just two years!” Wendy added on. The mischievous smirks of their friends tipped Wendy off to how easily she let their private life slip. “Sorry love…” she apologized looking at Irene. Despite her miffed attitude, her gaze softened and leaned for a kiss before muttering that it was okay. “So, surprise?”

 

“Yeah no kidding!” Joy said throwing her hands up. “Three years?! Why didn’t you say anything!”

 

“It was something we liked keeping to ourselves.” Irene explained. “We just agreed to be open about it after Bogum…”

 

“Double dates the ?” Sunmi suggested with a smile. She wrapped her arms around Seulgi’s waist, making Seulgi blush. Irene intertwined her hand with Wendy’s, while Wendy kept one arm wrapped around Irene’s arm still. They leaned more into each other and both nodded.

 

“Triple! Saeron and I can go too!” Yeri offered.

 

“Okay you know what, all of you can it.” Joy grumbled.

 

“Mad that you’re single as a Pringle Joy?” Seulgi said with a snicker. Joy gave her a roll of her eyes before flipping her hair and stomping away. The other girl all laughed and began to follow their friend.

 

“Love, maybe we can set her up! Maybe a nice guy with a nice smile?” Wendy said enthusiastically.

 

“Oh Sunshine,” Irene said with a sincere smile.

 

“That smile better come with a castle, Joy won’t settle for anything less than Prince Charming…” Yeri said. The girls laughed at her response.

 

“Damn right I won’t!” They heard Joy shout from ahead of them, resulting in an even bigger laugh from the group. It seemed that they had their next mission to plan.