Chapter 5

Vhenia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Minjoo. Rank 1. Promoted to Middle District. Congratulations on your hard work, pupil.

 

The cold voice of the officiating robot halted Chaewon in her tracks. She almost collapsed on her knees in disappointment, but no, this was not the time to break down crying; Chaewon wanted to see Minjoo as soon as possible.

 

The orange haired girl was already mad at herself for waking up late; she had forgotten that the whole home system (that also wakes you up in the morning at the optimum time by measuring your sleep cycle) was in maintenance. She should have noticed when she didn't hear an annoying robot voice tell her that her heart rate was at dangerous levels while she was thinking about meeting Minjoo last night. 

 

Chaewon entered the venue right after Minjoo received her diploma. The younger girl looked as good as ever; she didn't really get any taller, but her body defininitely looked more feminine and—holy  she was gorgeous. The sight of the younger girl was almost enough to wash Chaewon's worries away. Minjoo looked in her direction, so Chaewon smiled at her. Chaewon could almost see something flicker across the younger's face, except for Minjoo had horrible eyesight, so it was highly unlikely to be because of her. Nevertheless, Chaewon was happy, for she finally got to see the girl she missed so dearly.

 

After she found an empty chair, Chaewon collapsed in it; the journey from the Middle District to the Lower District was not an easy one. First, she had to exit the Middle District, which was a huge underwater complex, ride a underwater jet, which made Chaewon a bit sick, then get on the metro, and finally catch a taxi mobile to sector 25SEA. Being the good friend she is, she had to buy Minjoo the biggest bouquet ever, which made her even more late. At least she didn't miss Minjoo receiving her diploma.

 

She could barely distinguish Minjoo's head from where she was sitting; finding that a bit annoying, Chaewon decided that later, she would make Minjoo dye her hair the same color as hers, so they could be a couple. Contrary to last night, Chaewon had a strong conviction that today, Minjoo would reciprocate her feelings for her. It lifted up her spirits so much it was almost fine that Minjoo didn't get the Upper District promotion she deserved. They could video call every day anyway. Of course she felt bad for her friend, but for now, all that mattered is that Minjoo was safe, and they could possibly be together.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

When Chaewon ran over to Minjoo to hand her the bouquet, the younger girl was crying with her face buried in her hands, breaking Chaewon's heart. The older girl gently placed a hand on the crying girl's back as she whispered a soft "hey", making the younger girl flinch. The teary-eyed Minjoo looked up at Chaewon, who offered her a small smile of reassurance. Even though Chaewon promised herself earlier that she wouldn't cry, involuntary tears started welling up in her eyes.

 

"Chaewon..." Minjoo murmured as she pulled the older girl in a tight embrace. "I... I can't believe it's you..."

 

Chaewon bit her lower lip, in attempt to hold in her tears. It felt so good to be able to hug the younger girl again. "Of course it's me, dummy...... I... I missed you."

 

"I probably missed you more." Minjoo held the older girl tighter, enjoying the reassuring feeling of Chaewon's petite frame pressing against her body. She was trying to stop crying, but her tears were streaming down her face like a river.

 

"Stop crying, baby; I barely understood what you said... As for your bold statement, I don't think that's possible. I overworked myself everyday thinking of you." Before Chaewon realized that she probably shouldn't have said that last sentence if she wanted Minjoo to stop crying, it was already out of . "Hey—"

 

Choking back a sob, Minjoo said, "You got promoted, didn't you... To the Upper District?"

 

"... Yeah," Chaewon whispered as she ran her fingers through Minjoo's hair in attempt to comfort her. Her shoulder was really starting to get wet.

 

Minjoo sighed against Chaewon's neck, making the older girl feel a bit ticklish. "I... I'm sorry."

 

"Hey, look—it's okay... This isn't your fault, Minjoo."

 

"I just... wanted us to be together..." Minjoo just kept crying into Chaewon's shoulder as she murmured barely audible words.

 

Chaewon smiled at the younger girl's cute antics. "I still have a week until I have to move up... We can be together until then, okay? And even if I do move up, I can always visit you, or we can call and chat, and you'll move up real soon, okay? Don't cry..."  

 

It took Chaewon approximately twenty more minutes to get Minjoo to stop crying, and about ten more to finally see a smile on the younger girl's face. But it was worth it, because Chaewon was willing to do anything in her ability to see that precious smile. Ever since they were children.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Minjoo?" The two girls were approaching the Middle District on an underwater jet, which should be making Chaewon sick, but wasn't. The older girl was too nervous to be feeling sick, for this was the moment. She was determined to confess before they arrived; Chaewon was 99% sure Minjoo liked her back; the shy glances, the tears, and the content smiles pretty much explained themselves. Chaewon felt pretty sure about this, but she couldn't help the nerves.

 

"Yes?" Minjoo cutely replied, her head resting peacefully on Chaewon's shoulder.

 

Biting back a smile, Chaewo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter