Chapter 3

Vhenia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo liked Chaewon ever since she was twelve.

 

It all started when the older girl tried to "save" her from the so-called bullies of the school, which unfortunately went very wrong: the thirteen year-old Chaewon was shorter, skinnier, and weaker than basically everyone in the school. Chaewon's brave intervention only resulted into two beat up girls sitting side by side in their own hidden area by the school canteen, the younger one comforting the older, who was crying uncontrollably. 

 

While Chaewon was extremely angry about the situation, Minjoo was rather happy. She felt cared for and loved, and that made her feel good. She thought that it was just the sense of belonging that made her feel so giddy until Chaewon finally stopped crying and gave her a teary-eyed smile.

It was a smile that could light up the whole world. It lit up Minjoo's world, at least. 

 

Since then, everything was different. Chaewon was no longer just the girl that helped the poor girl from the Dregs. She was Minjoo's light, reason, and time. She was the only reason why Minjoo went to school, even on days she was injured from work or beat up by drunkards. Because she would see Chaewon there. The feeling was foreign to Minjoo, though she got used to it. Still, she never got used to Chaewon. Her sparkling eyes, cute nose, bright smile. Her intoxicating scent, fair hair, petite frame. Every time she saw Chaewon, it was new. Minjoo became used to the shortness of breath and the pounding in her chest that always accompanied Chaewon's presence, but the experience itself was always new. Minjoo had never not loved Chaewon ever since that day.

 

Chaewon didn't like her back until about three rotations ago, when they only had about two years together. It was after Minjoo decided to take a break from school to take care of the younger kids at the Dregs (and get rid of her helpless feelings, which never happened). Chaewon was the most obvious person Minjoo had ever seen, from her shy smiles to rosy cheeks. It was extremely cute though (plus Minjoo knew she probably looked just as foolish).

 

Chaewon was smart enough to eventually catch on to Minjoo's feelings, but by the time she did, they had too little time left. Two years was long, but they both had to focus on their studies. The two girls also met once a week and never in the summer. Minjoo was from the dregs, and Chaewon was not an Elite. It was a relationship that could never work. Minjoo couldn't be selfish when it came to Chaewon; she didn't want to hold her back. So her decision was to let her go.

 

The older girl clearly had different views. Minjoo thought missing graduation would mean avoiding Chaewon and her feelings associated with the older girl forever. The plan backfired because Minjoo found herself incapable of not thinking about Chaewon, let alone forgetting her. Time would have (maybe) done the trick, but Chaewon, who knew the younger girl a little too well, left Minjoo a letter, which was eventually opened about two weeks ago, when Minjoo finally mustered the courage to proceed with the deed. It read as follows:

 

Hello Minjoo,

It's Chaewon. I had a feeling that you weren't gonna come to graduation when you didn't show up to school yesterday. Actually, I knew that I probably wasn't gonna see you again when you left the library like that. If you're reading this, I guess I was right. Or am right, since I'm writing this right now. Whatever. It doesn't really matter. It seems like such a Minjoo thing to do—not showing up to the event which may be the last time we ever see each other. No offense though; it's those parts of you that I like. Who am I kidding—I like everything about you. I'm even writing a letter out by hand; it's my first time doing so. I remember when you told me about how people in the past wrote letters for their loved ones. I said it seemed like a lot of unnecessary work, but you thought it was cute. I'm just trying to do something cute for you, whatever that may mean to you. (It means alot to me.) 

First of all, I'm graduating tomorrow. Or today—or would it be last week when you're reading this? Anyway, I probably won't see you for at least another year. Don't be too sad that your best friend is gone. You aren't alone; she will be missing you too. I wish there was a way I could get to you, but it's just so expensive and time consuming for people to travel between districts. I'll probably get promoted to the Middle District, if you were wondering, since I ranked fifth; not too bad, huh? You'll probably rank first though. I honestly feel like you could graduate a year early like Hye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter