Chapter 4

Vhenia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung thought Yujin was the most annoying person to ever exist on the face of the earth. She talked way too often, had the worst ideas, and somehow always managed to convince Wonyoung that this time, her idea was gonna be amazing, and they wouldn't accidently blow up the little portable restroom on the rooftop of Lansley Hall like they did that one time Yujin wanted to try baking.

 

Wonyoung was smart enough to always get the two girls out of trouble, but evidently not smart enough to avoid getting stuck in a little metal closet-like compartment, with her long limbs awkwardly jutting into Yujin's ribs, for (oh did we mention) the second time. 

 

"Wonyoung, your toes poke into my ribs every time I breath," Yujin whispered while trying to move.

 

After giving the slightly older girl a jab with her big toe, Wonyoung quietly retorted, "Stop moving. It's your fault for assuming that this would be a good idea, . This place was way too small a year ago, yet you've jumped in here like we haven't grown over the past year."

 

"We jumped in here, Wonyoung. Not just me. In fact, I think you jumped in here first."

 

"It was your idea to come here in the first place!" Wonyoung yell-whispered, causing Yujin's eyes and mouth to open very wide. "Sorry."

 

"You really want to get caught don't you. Might as well get ejected this time around." Sensing Wonyoung's annoyance, Yujin realized that it was not the time for sarcasm and quickly added, "We'll get outta this. I think the person is leaving soon. Don't worry, okay? They won't kick you outta school."

 

Wonyoung sighed and said, "Yes, but they'll kick you out for sure. When are they gonna accept your promotion request... I don't want to be scared all the time about losing a friend."

 

"Aww, how sweet of you," Yujin cooed.

 

"I'm being serious here, Yujin. Why can't you just... Forget it."

 

After a period of silence, Yujin timidly called out, "Wonyoung?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"You mad?"

 

"... No."

 

"You look mad though," Yujin queitly murmured, her eyes fixed on her twiddling thumbs. She looked like a lost puppy; Wonyoung couldn't help but smile, amidst her slight annoyance.

 

"It's fine Yujin, I'm not mad."

 

"I just... That was a bit unexpected," Yujin whispered as she let out a chuckle. "Coming from you... you know? Not that I think you're cold hearted or anything... I'm just surprised you think of me as that."

 

"As what?" Wonyoung asked, being slightly confused.

 

 "A friend. Unless you wanna take that back right now," Yujin said while looking into the younger's eyes. Wonyoung looked away, feeling a bit shy. Besides, Yujin's eyes made Wonyoung feel a bit uncomfortable. It was almost like they bore into her soul, making her feel all fidgety and stuff.

 

"Of course you're my friend. Why do you think I always hang out with you?"

 

"Maybe cuz you feel bad for me."

 

"Why would you think that?" Wonyoung asked in disbelief as she took a glance at Yujin. The older girl's solemn expression tugged on Wonyoung's heart in the wrong directions.

 

"Well, I'm not an Elite, and I know you said it doesn't matter to you, but everyone at school thinks I'm—"

 

"Stop," Wonyoung interrupted. "Just... Stop. You're funny and nice and just such a good friend, and hopefully you think I am one too. That's why we hang out with each other, right? Look, it really doesn't matter what they think. They're just dumb... They don't even know how to bake!"

 

Recalling the incident on the rooftop of Lansley Hall, Yujin giggled, "I really don't either."

 

"That's besides the point. We're friends because... because I like you, okay? And that shouldn't be surprising because... 'cause you're more than worthy enough to be surrounded with good people that care about you."

 

"So you're implying that you're a good person?"

 

"Seriously? That's all you gotta say?" Wonyoung asked with a quirked eyebrow, sounding greatly dissapointed.

 

Yujin started to fiddle with her fingers (it was a nervous habit) as she explained, "Look, I can't thank you enough for reaching out to me... And I know I make you do a lot of things that are dumb, but we have nice memories together, right? I certainly don't wanna lose you; you're like the only person I'd be willing to share all these memories and secrets and stuff. And that's special to me, okay? Even though I can't bring myself to say it... You're special to me."

 

"...... Yujin?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"I would hug you but my legs are literally stuck."

 

Regaining her mischevious smile, Yujin blabbed, "Airhug? Virtual hug? Imaginary hug?"

 

"Just stop."

 

Yujin was the most annoying person ever, but she was still Wonyoung's friend. Her best friend. The two girls attended the same boarding school, Wonyoung, an Elite, attending for free while Yujin had to pay, for she was an Upper. To be fair, she was practically an Elite—living here (in the school), working here (as a model—that's where she get the money from), and enjoying the same privileges as Wonyoung—but on paper, she was a member of the Working districts. The upmost one, but she was still not Elite. It didn't matter to Wonyoung, but it sure did to their classmates. Yujin never really talked about it, but Wonyoung knew it was a touchy subject for the older girl.

 

Yujin could easily get fired, demoted, or kicked out of scho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter