Over a cup of tea

Over a cup of tea

 

“Have you ever noticed the steam raising off of a tea mug?”

Jungkook rubbed his sleepy eyes before raising his gaze to meet the blonde man sitting across from him at their small table inside their new apartment. A few small boxes still littered corners, awaiting to be unpacked.

“I love you” Taehyungs husky voice was velvety soft in the early hours of the morning. Softly he bit into his lower lip. Looking across at a half asleep boy with disheveled hair never failed to make his heart flutter. His hands wrapped tightly around a warm cup of tea as he savored the moment. “I like this view.”

Blushed a soft shade of pink at the subtle flirtatious moment a cute bunny tooth smile was displayed on the sleepy boys face. He bowed his head to hide his bashful look.

The sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon. A weak stream of light was peering through the small window above the sink in their kitchen. It was a serene kind of feeling. As if time had momentarily slowed down just for them. The new day brought bright new energy, which was slowly manifesting between the two as they sat together. Drinking their morning tea.



You could say it was ritual the two do together whenever they get a chance, regardless of the time of day- or night. Jungkook is normally packed with exams in his final year of school while Taehyung is investing nearly all his time into his new career. On this particular day, they made time in the early hours of dawn before Taehyung had an interview for his dream job- a photographer for a local magazine.

Neither of them bothers to mind the time yet. Sitting together, one more awake than the other, was their moment and no one could interfere with it.

It was been a few weeks since the two have moved into their first apartment. It has proved to be something else entirely- no loud party kids in the hallway or too loud music from their neighbors next door. The change of living in college dorms to their own little sanctuary was the most exciting hit into reality- this is actually happening.

Two years ago, Jungkook moved into Taehyungs dorm building in his sophomore year, four doors down. Taehyung was in his junior year and was flooded with class work. He always kept to himself, without many friends he spent a lot of his time alone in his dorm, that was until Jungkook came along. Guess you could say the universe aligned at the right moment. One night, nearing midnight they met in the common area, a casual bump into one another. The two don’t really recall how exactly they got to talking, but they do know that they hit it off immediately and soon enough became impossible to separate. Constantly traveling between dorm rooms to spend time together. Which made the decision to rent the one bedroom flat in the city, a perfect idea.

Things have been nothing short of perfect since they received the two silver keys to the front door.

“What are you thinking about, Kookie?” Resting his chin in his palm, his gaze soft on the dark haired boy.

“Do you remember the first time you said it?” The younger had his eyes pinned on his mug as his finger rubbed along the curve of the black handle.

“Mm, how could I forget!?” His voice perked up an octave.
“ Could you remind again me though, I want to make sure there isn’t any fine details I missed.” Taehyung reaches out to grab Jungkooks soft fingers before giving them a gentle squeeze. The tips of his fingers were warm from holding the mug, the warmth ran though Taehyungs hand and up his arm. Electric.

Letting out a breathy sigh through a wide smile, Jungkook pushed his messy fringe out of his eyes before opening his mouth to retell one of his favorite stories.

--

 

There are two sides to every story. With the same common plot line, each time a story is told it changes, morphs and turns into nothing than a mere memory as time passes on. This story in particular is rooted so strongly within two individuals, a pivotal moment, that the possibility of it ever fading away from a vivid painted imagine is- what Jungkook loves to call preposterous.

 

It was shy of one year ago. Jungkook will never forget the date: April 5th

A five minute walk from campus on the corner was a small coffee shop where many art students would often seek refuge within its walls. There was plenty of room to place several tables and sofas, the provided nooks would allow static chatter would fill the air. The ceilings were unnecessarily high; Jungkook always wondered how they would clean the cobwebs off as he would crane his neck to look up. The pale yellow walls were plastered with paintings and drawings, most produced by the local students. All displayed under the dim lighting that created a soft ambiance.

Some would use it as a place to unwind and relax after a day packed with classes while others would consume free refills of the House blend until they over caffeinated themselves while cramming in work until the barista had to cut them off for ‘their own good’, telling them to go get rest. There was a small table big enough for two in the back corner of the shop. Placed next to a large fanning plant, it gave a small obstruction to give a little privacy. It was the perfect cubbyhole. This table was dubbed their table. Several times a week the two could be found here, laughing over two warm mugs.

This night began no different than any other day.

Four hours under the overbearing fluorescent lights of the programming room, Jungkook was beginning to see double from staring at the computer screen for so long. He was determined to complete the last sharpening details for his midterm final. Video games have always been a passion for Jungkook. He finally was turning them into a reality- but no amount of passion can keep a person sane after numerous hours without a break.

*Bing*

Jungkook slouches back in his computer chair. A side lobbed smile is pressed against his teeth as he looks down at his phone to see a new text message from Taehyung.

Tae <3:
Hey! Latte in 5? I want to see you :]

His fingers moved faster than his bogged mind could.

Jungkook:
Yes, please! I am going to go crazy if I look at this computer any longer. Omw <3

Tae <3:
Save a little sanity for me!

Quickly he hit that floppy disk icon on the screen- it can definitely wait until tomorrow. He was grabbing his jacket, slipping his beanie on, mashing down his fluffy hair and nearly sprinting out of the room in 30 seconds flat.

It was a chilly night, colder than it normally was this time of year. His jean jacket over his thin V neck white tee was not serving much warmth. His black skinny ripped jeans were not any more protection from the sharp winds as they whipped against his skin. It was only a five minute walk but as soon as he was reaching for the handle to the coffee shop his nose was already a pastel shade of pink, bitten from the cold. The warmth from the shop engulfed him. Standing in the entry way he turned to beeline towards their table. His breath hitched when his eyes found him. Sitting at their table, looking down at his phone. Two cups sitting in front of him.

Jungkook was momentarily frozen. Partially in process of defrosting his limbs but he was stunned in awe. He couldn’t help but smile, his eyes just taking everything in. Just looking at him made all of this worries wash away like tide sweeping the shoreline without any reserve. He wishes Taehyung could know exactly how he made him feel. He loves the way his blonde hair looked so silky; he could only think about running his fingers though it, pushing that one piece out of his eye where it always falls. Or how his oversized gray sweater made him look much smaller than he actually was. He was so beautiful. Jungkook has not said it to him, but he loves him. He wanted this butterfly feeling to last forever.

Slowly treading across he worn wooden floor over to the older, Taehyung smiled as he noticed the distance between them was minimizing. Jungkook planted a soft peck on top of his Blonde hair before depositing himself into seat across the table. This felt just right.

The two spent over an hour talking, giving turns to share their day, the things they did. An animated and wild story about this elderly lady that tried to steal Taehyungs salad at lunch time- but that is a whole other story in itself. As their mugs emptied and they slouched a little more in their seats, all of the stress from the day had now seized to exist. The waxing moon was higher in the sky now and most of the coffee shop had cleared out, aside from the dedicated ones who had their noses stuffed into their laptop keyboards.

Usually at this point in a story is where things begin to twist and change. Like a game of telephone. But Jungkook remembers it so vividly.

There are few moments in a persons life that are permanently engraved. Some come packed with an overwhelming amount of emotions that you’re unable to process. Regardless of how much times as passed, every time the memory is recalled fond smirks or streaming tears are formed without permission.

But is it possible to mix them both into one?

 

Jungkook was chatting nearly 100 miles an hour, as he normally did when he became overly excited about something. The pitch of his voice heightened as he flailed his arms around in character to his story. His voice slowly trailed off as his eyes met with Taehyungs face.

He looked different.

He was so contently watching from across the table, his eyes softly half closed with a look in them Jungkook has never seen before.

His arms slowly fell to his sides, slightly cocking his head “Tae, hello? You okay? What do you think about this level?”

“It seems great babe, really.”

“What’re you thinking about then?”

“How much I adore you.”

His cheeks blushed a soft pink “Rea…really?”

“Yeah, you really are cute as hell when you’re so passionate about something. Its endearing.”

“Stop! You’re flattering me!” Jungkook let out a high pitched squeak. Why was he becoming nervous? He has been around this man everyday for the last year.


 

And then it happened.


 

Taehyung reached out across the table and grabbed Jungkooks hand. Looking down at it he studied the lines in his hand for a few moments, tracing them with his index finger. Looking up with a glossy look in his eyes Jungkook could feel his own breath shorten. Were those tears?

“I love you” the words left the blonde man in a low confident voice. He could feel the warmth roll of of each syllable. “I always have and I promise I always will.”

You know that feeling when fireworks explode? How it jumps your heart?

That is the only way Jungkook could explain this feeling. His entire body went numb with chills that ran through to his fingertips. It was as if every puzzle piece he has been searching for has fallen into place instantly.

Jungkook could feel the speed of his heartbeat rise. He could hear the beating in his ears as they started to feel like they were burning. His left hand reached up to rub the sensation off.

If Taehyung wasn’t full of tears, Jungkook had enough streaming down his cheeks for the both of them. A huge smile plastered across his face as he stared with wet eyes at the man across the table from him. After a few moments he was able to sputter “I… I love you too, so much Tae.” before nearly leaping across the table and into his lap. Twisting his fists into his sweater before pulling him close for a overly tight embrace.

Jungkook so fondly loves to say ‘the rest is history’

--

“You know, every time you tell this story. You omit my favorite part.” Taehyung laughed into his coffee mug before taking sip.

The sun was now a bit higher in the morning sky, shining brightly though their kitchen window.

“I certainly do not!”

“You always leave out the cutest detail- the way your face looked when I told you. You looked like a deer in the headlights. Your mouth even dropped open!”

“Did not! I don’t know why you insist on being like this!” Jungkook stuck out his bottom lip in a small pout. He failed at looking angry.

“I insist because you’re so freaking adorable.” Taehyung whispered as he reached over, grabbing the hem of Jungkooks shirt, a gesture for him to come closer.

Jungkook let out a small whine as he quickly complied and happily scooted onto Taehyungs lap. “You’re such a pain.”

“That’s why you love me.”

Jungkook couldn’t resist as he snuggled into the crook of Taehyungs neck before whispering “Its like it was made just for me.”

“What was?”

“The way you say, I love you.”