Finale

12th
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yoongi was on the verge of crying, and he didn’t cry often.

 

It was a little past midnight as he was standing outside of his apartment, along with tens of other people who lived in the same building as he did. Some elderly lady had forgotten to blow out her candles before going to sleep and the curtains had caught fire. Luckily, the fire alarm had been working.

 

There were two firetrucks in front of the building, the firefighters doing everything they could to put out the flames. None of the victims had died, but some of the people from the upper floors had been injured and rushed to the hospital. Yoongi himself lived on the ground floor just because he was afraid of these kinds of accidents.

 

He only had his pajamas on, his shoes, a jacket, his phone that he had grabbed, as well as his wallet that he kept in the pocket of the jacket (for the quick grabs in case of an emergency, like this one). His cat, Holly, was sleeping in his arms, seemingly unbothered by the ruckus.

 

The elderly lady lived on the fifth floor, so Yoongi hoped the damage hadn't spread far and his stuff would be okay.

 

There were a few firefighters walking amongst the victims, handing them blankets and tending to their potential injuries while calming them down. Yoongi just wanted to be left alone with his cat, to ponder where he would spend the rest of the night and possibly a couple more, he didn’t know how long it would take for the building to be safe again.

 

“Sir, do you want a blanket? Or is there something else you need?”

 

A familiar voice made Yoongi look up from his pet’s orange fur and snap out of his tired thoughts. His eyes widened.

 

“T-Taehyung?”

 

Kim Taehyung stood there, in blood and flesh, wearing a firefighter uniform. The younger male’s eyes were as big as saucers as he stared at Yoongi, blue hair shining in the light reflected from the streetlamps above. The silence between them lasted for a short moment while their surroundings were filled with the voices of crying children.

 

“Y-Yoongi hyung?”

 

Yoongi and Taehyung had been dating in high school. They were happy, and those had been the happiest years of the elder’s life. They fit together like puzzle pieces, balancing each other out with their own characteristics. There were so many memories the blond man treasured deep in his heart. He recalled lying in Taehyung’s arms, little kitten Holly purring on his lap while they napped.

 

Then Taehyung had had to move away with his parents. It broke them both, and after having tried keeping their long-distance relationship alive for a while, they just couldn’t do it.

 

It had been almost seven years since then, and Yoongi had never heard from the boy since.

 

“W-wh-what a-are you do-doing here?” the male stuttered, feeling like he would break down any moment now. He wasn’t prepared to meet the love of his life on such a depressing night.

 

“I-I’m a firefighter, here in Daegu,” the younger peeped, his hands clenching nervously around the blanket he was holding. They were quiet after that, taking turns in staring at each other and the ground.

 

“W-when did you come back?” The question came out as a whisper, but Taehyung still heard him. He looked down and gulped, teeth gnawing on his bottom lip.

 

“Two years ago.”

 

Yoongi took a step back to regain his balance. It felt like someone had pushed him.

 

“Why didn’t you ever call me? Contact me?” he asked, the first tear falling down his cheek and onto Holly’s fur. He hugged the cat closer.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung,” Taehyung breathed, walking forward to wrap the gray blanket around the shaking man. “I was so afraid you… well, moved on. It just would’ve hurt me so much, to see you smile at somebody else like you used to smile at me. It’s selfish, I know. I-I’m sorry, I should’ve looked for you.” The younger let out a wavering sigh, holding the ends of the fabric around Yoongi tightly in his hands.

 

“Can I have everyone’s attention, please!” came a man’s voice through a megaphone. “I’m sorry, but you won’t be able to return to your homes as of now. We will help you find a place to go if you don’t have one—”

 

“Come to my place, please,” Taehyung then suddenly pleaded, looking deep into Yoongi’s glistening eyes.

 

“I-I don’t know…” the elder mumbled, trying to look away from the captivating brown orbs. He had missed Taehyung so badly. His fingers itched to grab the hem of his uniform and never let go.

 

“Please, I… I wanna start over, be yours again, at least try it out. I missed you so much,” the taller whispered, and Yoongi could see how difficult it was for him to hold back his tears.

 

“O-okay,” he then quickly said, not giving his head time to think about why this might be a bad idea. He was now holding onto the hope of having Taehyung again, and he was going to hang in there as long as he could.

 

The younger flashed that happy, hopeful grin he had always had, and Yoongi’s breath was caught in his throat.

 

“Thank you, hyung, thank you so much!” Taehyung even bowed to him. “I have to go do my duties, but I’ll come back soon. I’ll tell my cap that I’m gonna accommodate you. Okay?” Yoongi just nodded, feeling how blush rose to his cheeks when Taehyung gently pecked his forehead, a thing that he had done a lot when they were still together, all those years ago.



 

It took another fifteen minute

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter