Epilogue

Cruel

Epilogue

 

Two years later, Hwasa had a baby. She married Loco oppa and they had a baby shortly after that. Wheein was clearly excited on the arrival of Little Hwasa. Hwasa has a baby girl. We were on the way to the hospital to visit Hwasa and her little princess, Kwon Sarang. Loco greeted us with a big fat smile on his face. He was visibly tired but still upbeat because of the arrival of his little girl.

 

I congratulated him while Wheein dashed straight into the room. Hwasa was holding her baby in her arms and Wheein melted at the sight of Baby Sarang.

 

“Oh my god, she’s perfection!”

 

Wheein squealed in delight. I stood behind Wheein; peering into the baby’s face. Wheein was right. The baby girl is so pretty.

 

“Do you want to carry her, Wheein?”

 

Loco oppa suggested and Wheein readily agreed. Hwasa transferred the baby in Wheein’s arms. And then my heart melted. My girlfriend is perfection. I took a photo of her as she cradled Sarang in her arms. I love her more and more every single day.

 

We spent a bit more time with Hwasa and Sarang before the little baby was ushered back to the nursery room. Loco had to fetch his parents and in laws so he left earlier on. I asked if the girls were hungry and they wanted sandwiches. So I left them alone for some personal catch up while I made my way to the cafeteria.

 

The cafeteria was crowded since it was a weekend. I stood in line; waiting patiently to buy some sandwiches and some fruit juices for the girls. I fished out my phone from my back pocket and then something or someone walked straight into me.

 

A little girl, probably around 2 years old, fell on her buttocks. I was so stunned but quickly got on my knees and lifted her up. I was afraid that she might hurt herself but the gutsy girl was smiling at me instead.

 

“Solar!”

 

Solar?

 

“Hi! I’m so sorry about my daughter!”

 

“Oh, it’s okay.”

The woman apologized profusely before picking up her daughter. She was fussing over the little one before she reprimanded the poor child.

 

“Solar, how many times must Mommy told you? You cannot run around without Mommy!”

 

Little Solar was grinning away. For some reason, she reminded me of someone. That rabbit teeth of hers.

 

“Hey, it’s fine. I mean everything is okay. Anyway, she’s really cute.”

 

“Ah, she is a replica of her Mom.”

 

Replica of her Mom?

 

“Anyway I need to go now. My wife is waiting. I’m sorry again.”

 

“Oh, it’s okay. Bye Solar.”

 

The little girl waved earnestly. I smiled widely. Little Solar is indeed cute. And somewhat familiar. Too tad familiar but I didn’t want to think much about it.

 

The girls are waiting for their sandwiches.

 

-

 

Wheein left early in the morning. She was going away for a short trip with her Mom. We made a promise not to get too over clingy. We let each other have our personal space. So, every Friday would be the days we could spend out with our friends.

 

But Wheein’s Mom misses her, so I bought them two pair of cruise tickets for their short getaway. Wheein was thrilled but upset when she learnt I wouldn’t be joining them.

 

“Spend time with your mother. She’s getting older. I’ll probably head back to my hometown to spend time with my parents too.”

 

“Okay, promise me you will take good care of yourself.”

 

“I will, sweetheart. Just enjoy yourself ok?”

 

I was alone at our place. I packed my bags and headed home. Since Wheein would be away for the weekends, I thought I should spend my time with my parents. I dumped my bag on the back seat of my car and drove out of our porch.

 

It was a beautiful Saturday morning. And I missed my girlfriend already. Sigh. I could only see her again on Sunday night. But this girl, like as though she knew, texted me.

 

YONGSUN BABY I MISS YOU SO MUCH!

 

I giggled to myself. I replied her and then hummed to the song playing on the background. I drove with a happy heart. I found a woman whom I love and loves me back. And I’m going to spend my whole lifetime with the woman I love so dearly.

 

My parents were happy for me too. They felt like their lost daughter had returned home. In fact, they adore Wheein so much that Omma had prepared Wheein’s favorite side dishes for me to bring home.

And Appa had brought some new canvas and paint set for Wheein. My girlfriend loves to paint and she had painted a picture of them. It hung proudly on the living room of my parents’ apartment.

 

Unnie got married and her lovely twin boys adore Wheein too. Whee Whee Yimu is her endearing nickname. They call me Yong Mama. I’m their god mother. They were disappointed not to see their favorite Whee Whee Yimu. Apparently, Yong Mama is not required.

 

“Don’t be stupid. My kids love you. They just adore Wheein more.”


“I didn’t say anything.”

 

“You’re jealous because Wheein has more people who love her.”

 

Actually, I’m glad that she has. She deserves all the love in the world. And I’m extremely glad that she has all the love from my family.

 

“Yong ah, I’m really glad you met Wheein. My baby sister is finally back.”

 

Darn, stop being sappy. But I’m glad too, Unnie. I’m so happy that Wheein is in my life.

 

-

 

I was out for grocery shopping. My parents wanted to cook my favorite dishes. I only like Tteokbokki but I shall not argue with them. But they made buy the ingredients and I gladly did so. The twins were sleeping so my sister had to stay home. Those two rascals were too difficult for my parents to keep up with.


So, here I was at the shopping mart with a trolley; picking up ingredients for our big dinner tonight. I wished Wheein was here. And as always, like she always knew, she called. I answered immediately.

 

“SWEETIEEE!”

 

I giggled.

 

“Hi baby, how’s the cruise?”

 

“It’s really good! Mom is so overjoyed that she left me in the room and went to casino. But I’m just glad she’s enjoying this.”

 

“That’s great to hear.”

 

“But she said next time we have to bring you along. Mom said I’m too boring. Yong is better, she said.”

I could literally imagine Wheein rolling her eyes.

 

“It’s the same here. Whee Whee Yimu is greatly missed.”

 

“AWWWWWWWW. I MISS THEM TOO! Are they there?”

 

“I’m at the shopping mart. The twins are asleep.”

 

“I miss you, baby. I miss you so much.”

 

“I do too, Wheein ah. I was just thinking of you and then you called.”

 

We talked for a bit more as I maneuvered around the shopping mart. By the time I finished choosing the ingredients, Wheein had to go. Her mom asked her to join for dinner. I said my goodbyes and all the sweet love whisperings before she reluctantly hung up.

 

I made my way to my car. As I was arranging the groceries bags onto my back seat, I felt a soft pat on my buttocks. As alarming as I should be, I turned immediately. But I couldn’t find anyone except for a 2-year-old girl gleefully smiling at me. And I knew this girl. The same one who bumped into me at the hospital few weeks ago.

 

I smiled before kneeling in front of her. She grinned widely.

 

“What are you doing here, little one? I’m seeing you again. Are you stalking me?”

 

I felt stupid talking to the toddler like that, but I was even more taken aback when she lunged her tiny arms around my neck.

 

“Up, up!”

 

I lifted her up and protectively wrapped my arms around her. I looked around for the same woman – her mother but instead of that, I came face to face with the one who broke my heart into pieces.

 

“Solar?”

 

Her voice was soft.

 

“Mama!”

 

Then it struck me.

 

-

 

Solar is her daughter; her biological daughter. She had a child to save someone; to save her ex-fiancee, Krystal Jung. She survived because of her daughter’s umbilical cord. I listened to her explaining the whole stuff but honestly, I wasn’t paying attention.

 

“Solar..”

 

“I’m sorry. I’m not Solar. I’m Yongsun.”

 

“Yong..”

 

I flinched. It has been awhile since I last heard that voice calling me that way. But I didn’t reply. I kept my silence. And I looked else where too. Not wanting to meet her eyes.

 

“Yong, I’m sorry.”

 

Baby Solar was sitting next to me. For some reason, she refused to go to her Mama. I honestly couldn’t understand why but the little one was a good distraction. She was playing with my fingers.

 

“Why are you apologizing to me for?”

 

“It took me 4 years.”

 

“4 years of what? Torture? Heart ache? Actually, it only took 2 years before I met the love of my life.”

 

She smiled and nodded her head. Like as though she was relieved. Like as though the curse has been lifted. Maybe it was for her but for me, it is still killing me. I know I had to go.

 

“Yong, wait.”

 

“We don’t have anything to talk to about.”

 

“I want to apologize still.”

 

“Save it, Byulyi.”

 

She flinched at the sound of her name. She knew I was mad. Hell, I was more than just mad. I was betrayed.

 

“You left me without a word. You never even looked at me. You just took off, ran off and took everything with you including my heart. And now you’re telling me you wanna apologize?”

 

“I need to. Because it has been haunting me for years.”

 

“Bull. You know where I live, Byulyi. You know where I was but you never came looking for me.”

 

“I’m guilty of that but I never had the courage. I was here all along, Yong. I returned to Seoul 2 years ago and live in this neighborhood. I was hoping I could bump into you but you were not around.”

 

“Why do you even bother?”

 

“Yong, please listen to my apologies. If you can never forgive me, I’ll understand. Just let me say my piece and then I’ll leave you alone.”

 

I could have just stood up and walked away. But a part of me wanted to stay and listen to her excuse. I won’t take this an apology. It was a selfish excuse that took her years to come back and say sorry.

 

She looked at me; I know she was. She realized I was keeping my silent so she knew I was waiting. She cleared and then her little girl climbed on my lap instead. I looked at the girl.

 

“Yong, Krystal is my first love. I love her and I was wrong about her leaving me. I admit, I was clouded with thoughts of Krystal that I pushed you away without a backward glance. In truth, I didn’t know if I could walk away if I ever turn around to look at you that night.

 

But Krystal, she was dying. And I thought it was better to leave you like this so that you could move on and live life without me. And I know, Yong. I know what you went through because Eric berated me every single day of my life. He showed me photos of you – how pale you looked; how painful your facial expression was and how red, blooded your eyes became. And it was all because of me.

 

I wanted so bad to go back to you. But stupidity is my middle name, Yong. Stupidity and then came regrets. I lost you. And I know I will never get you back no matter what it is. I didn’t want that either.”

 

She paused for a second. My head was spinning so badly. All the words she said were poison to my heart; pure nightmares and they killed me once again. Yet, I waited patiently for her to finish.

 

“I told myself it’s over. You and me. It’s gone. I burnt the bridge and it could never be built again. So, I shifted my attention to Krystal. She loves me. And I love her too. I love her more than I love you, Yong.”

 

That was it. I stood up and placed Baby Solar in her arms. I grabbed my car keys but she held my arm tightly.

 

“Let go.”

 

“Yong, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for all the bad things I did.”

 

“Okay. Now let go.”

 

“Yong, forgive me.”

 

“Let go of me, Moon Byulyi.”

 

I yanked her arm away and walked away. Tears were threatening to spill but I held them back. No way, I wasn’t going to cry over her. Not anymore.

 

-

 

Wheein’s return was a huge relief for me. I was crying so much. I told her. Of course, I told Wheein what happened. And for some reason, Hwasa knew too. Wheein asked her to come over. Hwasa came over with Baby Sarang in tow. Loco oppa dropped them off at my apartment earlier on.

 

“Did she say anything else?”

 

I shook my head. The moment Wheein walked through our front door, she lunged towards me and pulled me into her arms. We sat there; arm in arm; tightly embracing each other. She knew my history was uncapped and all the ty things just popped out – hurting me all over again.

 

But what she was going to say next appalled me.

 

“Maybe you should go back to her.”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean, look for her again and get a closure out of this.”

 

Wheein kissed me before she protectively wrapped her arms around me.

 

“This time, I’m going with you.”

 

-

 

And here we were. Wheein, myself, Moonbyul and Krystal with their daughter – we sat around the table. The child was oblivious and then latched herself to me and Wheein.

 

I honestly wondered why.

 

Krystal was all smiles. It wasn’t even a forced smile or a grimace – a genuine smile that she gave me before at the hospital. Like she was glad to meet me.

 

Wheein was smiling too. But it was a little safe-guarded kind of smile. I held her hand and squeezed tightly. I’m not leaving you, baby. Trust me.

 

So, Moonbyul was looking at me all the time. I recalled my course coordinator’s first words of her – “she’s a little peculiar. You just don’t know what’s on her mind.Now I understood what she meant.

 

Krystal finally spoke up after that long 3 minutes dreaded silence.

 

“I need to apologize for all that has happened.”

 

Why? Why is she apologizing?

 

“If not for me, Byul wouldn’t leave you. Honestly, that night when she stormed into my ward; she looked so flustered and annoyed that I was afraid to look at her. She confronted me. And my worst fears sunk in. She told me she is in love with someone else. She loves that person so much, yet she chose to come here and confront me instead. She wanted to know why I was so stupid to hurt her and then hurt others in return. I felt like I have broken this woman in front of me and in turn, she broke you.”

 

Moonbyul looked away. Wheein was feeling awkward and I, I felt nothing.

 

“Yongsun-shi, Byul loves you. And she still does. But she’s a stupid and simple woman who thinks that a promise is a promise and that she must fulfil it since she had promised me that she would always stay by my side in better or worse. And I was at my worst.”

 

I clenched my fists tightly.

 

“I know, it’s a stupid excuse but it was what happened. She decided to leave you and bury her memories and love for you deep down in her. And when she decided to be pregnant to save my life, and when the baby came along, she named the little girl after you.”

 

All of us turned to look at Baby Solar. She was fast asleep in Wheein’s arms. My girlfriend is a baby-magnet attracter.

 

“Moon Solar. She’s named after you and I let her. This girl brings a lot of comfort to Moonbyul. Because she can channel all her love for you to this little angel here.”

 

“So, what is it that you want from me, Byulyi?”

 

“I just want you to know that I’m sorry. And I’m really happy that you have found someone else.”

 

“Then isn’t this the time for you to focus on the woman whom you saved and stood by your side?”

 

This time, Krystal focused her gaze at me. I looked at her; gave her a smile. If Moonbyul chose to save this woman, that was because at the bottom of her heart, Moonbyul loves this woman. It was just because we didn’t end it well; Moonbyul felt guilty.

 

I should fix this. I looked at Wheein; she looked at me; then down to our intertwined hands. I gripped it tightly; that was my way of ensuring her that I’m not leaving her. Wheein nodded; she was assured because I could see her smile. Her beautiful smile.

 

Then I turned to look at Moonbyul. She was staring at me this time.

 

“Byul ah, let’s not waste our time. You have Krystal and Baby Solar. You saved her life; gave life to Solar but your heart is with me. Yet you know that this is not right, but you just couldn’t shake off your guilt you felt towards me. Am I right?”

 

Moonbyul nodded. That was the problem. There was no closure.

 

“I forgive you.”

 

I felt magnanimous. I was no longer revengeful; I was no longer cold-hearted. Someone came along and took me in her arms and flew me on her wings.

 

“Let’s move on from everything. I loved you before. It was a crazy moment that both of us had but now, we are blessed with the greatest love of our lifetime.”

 

Wheein smiled at me widely. Yes, she’s my greatest love of my lifetime. Moonbyul was channeling her focus on Krystal. She finally understood what I meant.

 

“Thank you, Yong.”

 

“Live well with Krystal and Baby Solar.”

 

“Can we still be friends, Yong?”

 

I smiled. Then I nodded.

 

“Why not?”

 

-

 

Wheein and I got into a whole lot of mess. We agreed to babysit 4 children together at the same time. My sister’s 3-year-old twins, Moonbyul’s 2-year-old Solar and 6 months old Sarang – all of them were at our apartment.

 

The twins, Kangjun and Taejun were perfect rascals. They tore down the place with their screams and Solar was following whatever they were doing. Sarang was still controllable but boy, that baby could really scream too.

 

“BABY! CAN YOU GET ME SOLAR’S DIAPERS?!”

 

I rolled my eyes. How many times must that kid pee within two hours?!

 

With Sarang in my arms, I jumped over the strewn toys all over my living room floor before grabbing the diapers bag that Moonbyul left earlier this morning. I would kill that woman when she returns with Krystal. But Wheein was good with this.

 

She handled the children well. No, that wasn’t right. The children preferred her to me. I couldn’t see the difference anyway. Wheein herself was like a child.

 

“Kangjun, Taejun, stop jumping off the couch!”

 

I had a heart attack when those two rascals leapt off from my couch and onto the floor. Then they repeated their actions again.

 

“HEY!”

 

I ran after them while struggled to keep Sarang in my arms; those two escaped with 2 different routes. One to the left and the other to the right. I stood there; bewildered. I was going ballistic. I swore I would have thrown the diaper bags at Kangjun who was nearer to me.

 

But before my devil struck me, my angel came along and dipped her palm on mine. I immediately regained my composure and turned to face her. Solar was resting her head on Wheein’s chest. She smiled and then pulled my nose gently. Sarang was falling asleep in my arms.

 

“You’re such a perfect mom.”

 

Wheein praised me. She was lying obviously but I was floored. I grinned stupidly at her before kissing her on her lips.

 

“I think you make the best mom among the two of us.”

 

I whispered.

 

“Okay, I will be the best mom while you, you will be the best wife.”

 

I agreed.

 

“Deal.”

 

Well, that lovely moment was interrupted by a gigantic medicine ball ramming towards my feet. Seo Taejun was the culprit.

 

“TAEJUN! COME BACK HERE!”

 

I became Yong, the Tarzan Mom that night.

 

-