9: Indigo

Sold

A little dumbfounded was the correct phrase to describe the tall and domineering Duke Sehun at the current moment. He was prepared wholeheartedly to be pushed away in the most brutal form and see the look of disdain on Luhan's face when he let his emotions overwhelm him and captured the younger man's lips without any notice. He was prepared for that type of ending to this relationship they had, because it was getting harder and harder for him to layer himself in a cloak that hid his innermost desires. 

So why?

Why was he seeing the crown of Luhan's head at this moment, the tips of his ears a raging shade of pink? 

"I didn't push you away. That means I like you," Luhan said, shyness coating his words like the sugar on pastries. 

The fireworks raged on with the faint sounds of the cheering crowd in the town square filling in the silence between Sehun and the man who just spoke words Sehun thought he could only hear in his wildest fantasies. Sehun's mind raced as fast as his heart was beating, wondering if this was a dream that would quickly turn into a nightmare once he chose to confirm Luhan's words. 

"Again," Sehun simply said, causing an already distraught Luhan to flinch before he looked up with a confused expression to lock eyes with an incredibly worked up Duke. "Once more. Tell me again you like me."

Sehun saw Luhan's lashes tremble under the moonlight, either from nervousness or the slight breeze of the wind, and it tickled Sehun's heart that he couldn't stop himself from his horrible habit of holding Luhan's chin and domineering the young man into submitting to him. Luhan was so kind and sweet, touching him made Sehun feel like he was tainting Luhan a sinful crimson with every touch he laid. Holding Luhan's gaze hostage, not allowing him to look away, Sehun tried to find a way back to reality before he got his hopes up but Luhan blocked that path with three simple words.

"I like you," Luhan repeated, his nerves apparent but with a conviction in his eyes that made Sehun freeze in disbelief. "I like you, Sehun."

Sehun saw Luhan's lips tremble a little and he realised then and there that he had lost control of the demon inside him that had pined for Luhan for all this time. Like a chain being broken, Sehun let go of Luhan's chin and ran his fingers through Luhan's golden hair and pulled him in for another kiss. Luhan was taken aback and slightly pulled away, making Sehun wrap his free arm around Luhan's lithe waist to pull him closer, to not let him run away from this, because in Sehun's mind, it was too late for Luhan to ever change his mind about what he's done. Luhan relaxed in Sehun's embrace and Sehun felt Luhan grip onto his suit lapels, making Sehun don an amused smile as he lightly bit Luhan's lower lip making the young man tremble in Sehun's arms. Reluctantly pulling away, Sehun took in everything his eyes could see in that moment and carved it into his heart. Luhan's breathless appearance, the translucent pink of his cheeks and his moist swollen lips after Sehun's desire possessed him. Was it alright for him to allow this much happiness to fill his heart? Would Luhan disdain him if he found out how long he had harboured such impure feelings towards him? How long would Luhan's affection for him last? What would happen to himself if one day all of Luhan's affections have been spent? Sehun dared not imagine.

Sehun gently let some distance come between their chests as all his anxious worries filled his mind before he rested his forehead on a very dazed Luhan's shoulder. Steadying himself, he decided to warn Luhan of what this would all mean. Sehun wanted Luhan, he wanted him in a way that surpassed any rational thought, and before he lost all control, he wanted to give Luhan a chance to protect the happiness he had worked hard to achieve. A small part of Sehun hoped Luhan would run away, but a bigger part of him hoped Luhan would still choose this... would choose him.

"Luhan," Sehun began, keeping his gaze locked onto the hem of Luhan's coat. "I love you. I've loved you for a long time. If you choose this, the path for us will be arduous and there might be a time you will be filled with regret. If you choose this, you will never be able to go back because I won't be able to let you go, so I'm giving you one last chance to push me away. Nothing will change if you do. I will still keep loving you and wishing for your utmost happiness." 

Luhan's heart ached with every word that was spilling from Sehun's mouth.

"I've loved you for a long time..."

Since when, Sehun? Why did you not just tell me?

"...you will be filled with regret..."

Why do you think that when all I've gotten from you is happiness beyond my wildest dreams?

"...I won't be able to let you go, so I'm giving you one last chance to push me away..."

Why would you ever let me go? You've done that before, don't do it again. I don't like it.

"I will still keep loving you and wishing for your utmost happiness."

As Luhan ached and lamented over Sehun's words that Luhan knew was Sehun's way of trying to protect him, he also felt a small ember of anger crackling within him. Why did Sehun think he could ever in this lifetime push away the very man that pulled him out of a dark abyss when even he himself had no hope left? Why did Sehun ever imagine him regretting the choice of staying by his side? Why would Sehun carry on the burden of loving him without expecting anything in return? It was all such nonsense in Luhan's mind. Utter nonsense and such a futile attempt to stop him from choosing a path in life that he truly believed in. For Luhan, a path without Sehun, a path without these feelings was impossible now.

"Duke," Luhan began. "No. Sehun."

Duke Sehun slowly pulled himself up from Luhan's shoulder, seemingly coming to terms with a rejection that Luhan had not even given. A rejection he would never give. The embers of indignation in Luhan's heart burned a little stronger, and a frown made its way to Luhan's usually bright face. 

"Is this you rejecting my honest feelings towards you?" Luhan asked bitterly. Although he did not mean it, he was exasperated that Sehun would have such little faith in him.

Sehun's expressions quickly shifted from despondent to panic at Luhan's sharp words. "No, I would never-"

"Then why are you the one pushing me away?" Luhan asked, feeling his throat tightening because he really did not mean these words, but somehow it kept coming out of him. "Don't leave again."

His last words came out as a whisper but Sehun must've had heard him because Luhan felt Sehun's cold hands cupping the sides of his face, worry apparent on the handsome contours of the Duke's usually calm face. 

"I would never. I never want to be apart from you," Sehun began, Luhan noticing how handsome and endearing he was even in this frantic state. Sehun covered one of Luhan's hands that were tightly gripped into a fist above his knee and that small action made Luhan relax his left hand, making it easy for Sehun to lift it and place a soft kiss in Luhan's palm, sending electricity down Luhan's back.

"I love you, Luhan," Sehun said, softly brushing his lips on Luhan's palm and each of his fingers as if he was marking his territory, making Luhan feel ticklish but absolutely adored. "I love you. I love you. I could never be apart from you."

Gathering his wits about him, Luhan finally felt the anger inside him subside and replaced with horrific shame as he continuously watched the usually calm and cool Duke rain soft pecks on every inch of his left hand. The shame was enough to make the young and inexperienced Luhan implode but seeing how much Sehun adored him in this way gave him a sense of belonging he never knew he craved between them. 

"S-Sehun, enough. Please," Luhan said as he tried to pull away from the tight grip Sehun had on his wrist. "I u-understand. I was wrong for being angry, so-"

"No," Sehun said dominantly, making Luhan stop struggling. "I was wrong. I was lost in my own worries that I didn't think about how you would be feeling again. You weren't wrong, Luhan."

Relief settled at Luhan's core and he could finally genuinely smile at the person of his affections, ready to face whatever came their way, because Luhan knew there would never be a day where he could be apart from Sehun in this lifetime. Standing up abruptly, Sehun followed suit and Luhan wrapped his arms around the Duke he thought was always so strong and Luhan let the side of his face rest on Sehun's sturdy chest, listening to the strong, erratic beats of his heart. "Let's stay together, Sehun. There will never be regret. There will never be a time where I would ever leave you, so let's be together, okay?"

Luhan felt arms encircle him and a warm breath at the crown of his head as Sehun nestled into his hair. "Let's do that."

It's been a while! Not sure if anyone is still reading this but I suddenly reignited my passion for this couple so I'm going to keep writing this haha.

Short chapter but I just moved to a new country (land of sushi) so it's been hectic but writing stories has always been a comfort to me so I'll try to keep at it (୨୧•͈ᴗ•͈)