Falkreath

Oblivion

Blistering hot flames poured down from the heavens. The market square was covered in glowing scorch marks and smoking bodies. The twin rivers ran red as more residents were burned alive. All bridges in the lower district had been consumed by hungry flames which grew hotter and more powerful with every gust of wind created by the great beast above.

Brilliant orange scales shimmered in the night sky from the inferno decimating the city. Arrows whizzed past the winged attacker as guards tried to defend their burning city. Another breath of fire exploded from the dragon’s mouth, incinerating everyone in the western watchtower. It circled out of the guards' range, then ascended into the smoke above the city before diving back down. Opening its wings a few moments before impact, the dragon twisted between the center crag and the stone walls of Understone Keep. The powerful draft created knocked down any guards on the ground.

Landing on top of the crag, the dragon scanned through the smoke for its next target. An unlucky group of guards caught its eye and the dragon blasted the group with its white-hot fire. Arrows came from all directions at the now stationary monster, the sharp metal embedding into its flesh. Releasing a deafening roar, the dragon took to the sky once again.

A lucky arrow struck the beast in the eye causing it to recoil and struggle to fly straight. The dragon plummeted through the air and crashed into the remains of the lower district. Smashing through the rubble, the ancient beast collided with the side of the mountain the city was built into and broke a hole through the ceiling of Cidhna Mine. 

It stood back up and used its clawed wings to climb out of the crater it created, once free, it spread its wings and took to the night sky. The dragon circled the city a few more times before letting out another deafening roar and flying off into the darkness. The mighty city of Markarth now lit up the countryside with flames reaching above the city walls.

Down in Cidhna Mine, prisoners gazed up through the smoke and into the world that had been hidden from them for years. One prisoner, in particular, took shaky steps through the rubble of the collapsed ceiling while looking outside. She looked around the rest of the mine to see all the prisoners scrambling for the newly created exit.

“What are you waiting for? Let’s get out of here!” Another woman grabbed her hand and pulled her up the pile towards the street above.

The two, along with all the other prisoners, climbed out of the mine and entered the chaos outside. Cries for help came from every direction. The scent of burning flesh filled her nose with every breath she took. Flames at her bare arms when she passes by burning piles of rubble and bodies. Clouds of ash rose into the sky, hiding the stars from view.

Stepping over a long scorch mark on the stone street, the mass of escaped prisoners climbed through a hole in the wall created during the attack and ran into the grass outside. For some, this was the first time in many years they felt the sensation of walking on something other than the dusty stone floor of the mine. This was the case for Im Nayeon. 

Nayeon had spent the last five years of her life secluded in Cidhna Mine. She had been captured when she was 18 and dragged to the deepest cell in the mine. She never saw any of the other prisoners. When she was forced to mine silver, she always had five guards watching her every move. They were scared of the power she possessed. No, they were terrified. 

After years of sending souls to her Daedric master, Nayeon was the most wanted criminal in the country. Her kill count was disgustingly high and continued to grow as the days passed. Her ability to use Daedric magic made it easy to destroy anything she wanted. The lust to kill was strong and guided her on her sprees.

She was finally captured and sentenced to life in Cidhna Mine while in Morthal; in the middle of the night, she burned a family alive while they slept in their home. When escaping through the marsh, she encountered a group of trolls while a group of mercenaries splashed behind her. After torching the three-eyed creatures, an arrow lodged itself in her shoulder. Normally she would have been fine, but a generous amount of poison covered the tip of the arrow weakened Nayeon and she collapsed into the swamp. She was rudely woken up by a Cidhna Mine guard kicking her in the ribs then thrown down into the prison.

But that was not really Nayeon. Her life was stolen from her the very moment she stepped up to Molag Bal’s alter. The real Im Nayeon was a simple farm girl whose family was murdered and burned in front of her own eyes. This was who she was now. Her connection with her Daedric master had weakened throughout her years in the mine, releasing her from his possession. Although deep down she knew he still controlled her.

The escaped prisoners rushed to the Markarth stables and began piling into the available carriages. Nayeon was squished into a carriage that was bound for the small town of Falkreath. In its prime, Falkreath was a well-guarded stronghold that was able to withstand the Reachmen from the West but now only a few buildings remained.

The last time Nayeon had been to Falkreath was when she first started her killing spree. She was wandering through the woods near the town when she met a werewolf named Somi. the girl had just turned back into her human form when Nayeon found her kneeling in front of a dead man. Somi looked up towards Nayeon with utmost guilt and tears streaming down her face.

“I- I didn’t mean too… he- he- he was chasing me and I-“

“Shhhh. It’s okay.” 15-year-old Nayeon kneeled down next to Somi and pulled her into a tight hug. 

 Nayeon brought the shivering girl into a nearby cave and started a fire to help keep the young girl warm. Somi told Nayeon how she was a recently turned werewolf and was struggling with her transformations. Nayeon’s brown eyes glimmered from the flickering fire as she listened to the girl. The two spent the night together in the cave until Nayeon was woken up by a yelling Somi.

“Ahh! Nayeon get out, I cant- Ahh! I can’t control it!” The small girl seized and began to transform right in front of Nayeon. 

Instead of escaping as any sane person would do, Nayeon smirked and her eyes glowed emerald green. She approached the werewolf and materialized her mace. 

“I will send your soul to oblivion in the name of Molag Bal.” 

Early the next morning, Nayeon left the cave wrapped in a fur coat.

The carriage ride was comfortably silent as the escaped convicts basked in their new freedom. Every now and then a few people would jump out of the carriage when they passed by small towns. Nayeon kept her head looking down to not draw attention to herself, only looking up when the others would shout at something in the distance.

When they pulled up near Falkreath, everyone jumped out of the back and walked towards the town. Nayeon followed behind the group still keeping her head low. Although it has been five years, she could still be recognized. 

Flaking away from the group, Nayeon circled around the back of a building near the edge of the city and towards a line of drying laundry. She pulled a hooded cloak off the line and quickly covered herself. With her face now hidden from view, Nayeon walked along the edge of a stone wall until she was in the woodlands outside of the town. 

She didn’t want to stay in one place for too long in case she was recognized. Even though Falkreath was relatively isolated, the possibility of someone spotting Nayeon and contacting authorities was very high. So she continued through the trees, avoiding any settlement that she happened upon. 

By the time the morning sunlight peeked over the horizon, Nayeon was wobbling with every step. The cold night had taken its toll on her weakened body and now she found it hard to keep her eyes open. Her vision was blurring together and every pulse of her headache made it difficult to think. Just as she was about to fall over in exhaustion, she felt a pair of sturdy arms catch and pull her upright.

“Whoa easy there. How long have you been outside?” A hand lightly pressed against her forehead, “You have a cold and are clearly dehydrated. I’m going to take you inside somewhere warm and get you fixed up.” 

“Wh- I’m fi- please… I don’t want- hurt.” She tried to speak but everything came out slurred. A few more steps and Nayeon out from exhaustion.

 

~ ~ ~

 

After taking a long need break from the forge, Jeongyeon left her sister’s home and began the walk back to Whiterun. Her older sisters had bought a plot of land on the outskirts of Whiterun and now ran a successful farm. Once or twice a month, Jeongyeon would escape the inner walls of the city and spend the night with her sisters then leave in the morning. The three would often have dinner, as well as, a few bottles of mead and chat about the recent news.

The walk back wasn’t long and she had made the trip many times so when she saw a hooded figure struggling to stand ahead of her, the blacksmith ran up to help. Jeongyeon caught the person right as they tripped over the cobblestone path and pulled them upright. 

“Whoa easy there. How long have you been outside?” She lightly pressed her hand against their forehead, “You have a cold and are clearly dehydrated. I’m going to take you inside somewhere warm and get you fixed up.” Jeongyeon heard a few mumbles and slurred words before the body collapsed against her.

She quickly lifted the unconscious person into her arms and continued walking up the path towards the city. Jeongyeon was used to moving around heavy metal, so carrying her sickly acquaintance was a simple task. As she passed by the Whiterun stables, the hood fell off revealing a woman with two faded but still visible scars across the side of her face. Her long dark hair was tucked into the back of the robes and she had pale skin as if she hadn’t been out in the sun for a long time.

Jeongyeon continued up the hill and through the main gates of the city. Luckily her workshop was near the entrance so Jeongyeon carried the women inside. She set her down in a wooden rocking chair near the fireplace and got started making a fire. She pressed her hand against the woman’s forehead to see if her cold had gotten worse and quickly went upstairs. She returned with a pile of blankets she kept for when a work day was particularly tiring and wrapped them around the still unconscious woman.

Jeongyeon walked towards the front door and gave one last look at the unconscious woman in the back before going outside. She quickly made her way up the street into the market plaza and pushed open the door to Bae’s Cauldron. She smiled at the Joohyun behind the counter and asks for a cure disease potion along with a few health potions. After paying she exits the shop with a bow and starts jogging back to the workshop.

When she pushed open the door she is met with the most beautiful hazel eyes staring back at her. 

 

~ ~ ~

 

Nayeon woke up wrapped in a blanket and sitting next to a fireplace. She blinked a few times and took in her surroundings. The chair she sat in faced out through a doorway and into another room where weapons littered the area. Swords were on display racks, axes were piled up on a nearby table, and a set of armor hung over a body mannequin. The main room was defiantly a workshop of some sort since she could also see hammers and chisels in a box near the front door.

Sensing that she wasn’t in any immediate danger, Nayeon sat back in the rocking chair and faced the fire. The flames reminded her of the burning city she just escaped from. The fires had ragged through the streets, consuming anything in its path until all that remained were its glowing embers. But even those could start another firestorm with a simple flap from the dragon’s giant wings.

Nayeon was brought out of her thoughts by creaking of the front door. She looked away from the fire to see a woman carrying a brown bag and wide eyes. 

“You’re awake.” The owner, Nayeon assumed.

“Yes.”

“Umm… I got you some potions because you were running a high fever.” She held up the brown bag and lightly smiled.

“Thank you.” 

The owner slowly walked forward and reached into the bag, pulling out two little red bottles. She set the brown bag on the table in the main room and nervously continued towards Nayeon.

“Here.” She reached her hand toward Nayeon offering the two glass bottles.

“Why are you helping me?” Nayeon asked after she took the potions. She set the unopened bottles on her lap and kept eye contact with the woman.

“You were sick.” She awkwardly sat across from Nayeon on the edge of the stone fireplace.

“Hmm. Well, thank you again…”

“Jeongyeon.”

“Thank you, Jeongyeon, but I think it’s time I leave.” Nayeon began standing up from her chair only to be lightly pushed back down by Jeongyeon.

“No. You’re still not well yet.” Jeongyeon stood over her until Nayeon relaxed back into her chair.

“Fine.” Nayeon began to think that Jeongyeon actually didn’t know who she was and what she could do. 

Most people would flee the room if they knew Im Nayeon was sitting in front of them. But not Jeongyeon. The woman truly believed that she was just some commoner and not a Daedric servant who had a kill list larger than the population of Solitude. What an ignorant fool.

Nayeon opened one of the glass bottles in her lap and drank the potion, after cringing at the bitter taste, a warm feeling spread throughout her chest as the liquid magically started to heal her.

“You’re probably hungry.” Nayeon nodded her head and watched as Jeongyeon exited the back room once more. 

She heard footsteps above as Jeongyeon walked around upstairs. Once the woman found what she was looking for she quickly returned down the stairs.

“Here.” The short-haired woman held out an apple for Nayeon. 

Nayeon mumbled out a thank you before biting into the red fruit. It has been far too long since she had eaten real food. All she was served in prison was water, bread, and, on rare occasions, a few small pieces of overcooked meat. If meat was a rare occurrence then fresh fruit was a godsend. After her first bite, Nayeon practically moaned into the fruit.

Jeongyeon blushed then smiled down at her. 

“So… why were you outside?” Jeongyeon asked as she sat down again and took a bite of her own apple.

Nayeon swallowed and looked over at the blacksmith. The short-haired woman seemed genuinely curious about her.

“No particular reason. I just… need to keep moving.”

“Moving where?” Jeongyeon cutely tilted her head to the side like a puppy. Nayeon scoffed then shook her head.

“You really don’t know who I am, do you.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

“You really don’t know who I am, do you.”

The statement threw Jeongyeon off. What did she mean? Was she some famous bard or powerful wizard? That would explain why she was wandering near the woods.

“No, I don’t. Are you famous?”

The woman stared at her like she had grown another head before bursting out laughing. She cackled and slapped her leg as she rocked in the chair. After the laughter had died down, she smiled at Jeongyeon.

“I guess you could say that.” She wiped her eyes because she had been laughing so hard.

Jeongyeon raised an eyebrow then her companion started giggling again. The blacksmith didn't know what was so funny. Normally people don’t laugh at her jokes, It’s why all her friends and family call her No-Jam.

“I’m confused. So you’re famous?” The woman let out a few more breathy laughs before making a straight face.

“Not in a good way.”

“Oh, so you’re a mercenary.”

“No.”

“No?”

“As funny as your cluelessness is, I’d rather not talk about myself.” The woman leaned back in the rocking chair and took another bite of her apple.

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

The two sat in silence for a few minutes. The crackling of the fire and chewing of apples were the only sounds in the room. 

This awkward silence was driving Jeongyeon insane. She wanted to fix it by starting up another conversation but she felt like she was stepping on eggshells around this woman.

When they both finished their apples, Jeongyeon tossed her core into the fireplace then reached out a hand for the remains of her acquaintance’s apple.

“I’ll throw it in the fire for you.”

“Thank you.”

She places the fruit into Jeongyeon’s hand who tossed it into the fire. The two watched as it blackened in the flames.

“It’s incredible.” The woman spoke as she kept her eyes glued to the flames.

“Fire?”

“It makes people feel safe and secure, the heat is comforting and soothing. The concept of returning from the frigid outdoors and creating something that can warm your body and cook your food is fascinating.”

“I guess it is.” Jeongyeon nodded along to the woman’s words.

The woman raised her hand and snapped her fingers, creating a small flame on the tip of her pointer finger.

“Woah.” Jeongyeon watched the small flame dance in front of her.

“But as much as people take it for granted, fire can take as much as it gives. If the hot flames are left untended, they can fizzle out. Or even worse, the can grow uncontrollable. All you posses can be destroyed by a rogue spark.”

She opened her hand and moved the tiny flame into the palm of her hand. The magical fire slowly grew larger to fit into the space provided. The woman looked up at Jeongyeon and watched as the blacksmith was enthralled by the display. She rolled the fire in her hand off a few moments before stopping.

“Jeongyeon.”

“Yes?” Jeongyeon looked away from the flames into Nayeon’s eyes. She saw a speck of green near her iris.

“I need your help.”

“With what?” The woman extinguished the fire in her hand and dropped it into her lap.

“I need to get to Winterhold.”

"Winterhold? That’s on the other side of the mountains. Why do you need to go to Winterhold?” Another speck of green flicked in.

“I need to go before he returns.”

“What?”

“Please, Jeongyeon. I’m tired of him telling me what to do.” The woman clenched her hands into fists turning her knuckles white.

“I don’t understand.“

“He’s coming back and I can’t stop him alone!” She stood up from her chair, dropping the blankets and glass bottles onto the floor. Half of her eye was green by now and she was breathing rapidly. “Please.” 

Jeongyeon stood up and placed her hands on the woman’s shoulders trying to get her to sit back down. From their closeness, Jeongyeon could see how the emerald green in her eye warped and moved as if it was smoke. It shimmered and had small flecks of gold swirling in with the glowing emerald. 

“Relax. No one is coming-“ The woman’s eyes rolled back in her head and she collapsed into Jeongyeon’s arms. 

The blacksmith staggered back from the sudden weight then set the woman down of the blankets. She could see the veins on the unconscious woman’s wrist glowing green. 

“Okay. Okay. Jeongyeon, do something about the lady on the floor.” The blacksmith told to herself as she tried to stop herself from having a panic attack. 

She rushed out of the back room and up the stairs. She grabbed two of her fur jackets and her bag of spending gold. quickly going back downstairs, Jeongyeon picked up the woman on the floor and struggled to get the jacket on her. 

After grabbing a sword out of the workshop, the blacksmith pulled the woman onto her back and ran out of her shop. She locked the door and then rushed out of the city. Arriving at the Whiterun stables, Jeongyeon tossed the bag of gold at the man outside then quickly placed the unconscious woman on the back of a saddled horse. 

The blacksmith climbed onto the saddle and pulled on the reigns directing the steed onto the cobblestone road. “You said you need to get to Winterhold. Alright then, then I’ll get you to Winterhold.”