Solitude

Oblivion

Built upon a natural stone arc over the sea, the great City of Solitude is surrounded by snowy peaks above and crashing waves below. The breathtaking stronghold is protected from attacks by thick stone walls and loyal guards, keeping those living inside safe from any form of danger. The country’s capital houses many important buildings, such as the headquarters of the Empire, the Eastern Trading Company Warehouse, the Blue Palace, and the reason Momo was here; the Bard's College.

They started off their trip with no problems: Dahyun had found her belt tucked in-between two books on the shelf in Mina’s room (Mina tends to organize books in her sleep) and could now walk around the college campus without having to hold onto her belt loops. Seulgi had prepared a huge breakfast for the group before heading out for Solitude, but she and Momo ended up eating half the banquette before Dahyun and Mina had come downstairs. And Mina, bless her heart, knitted scarfs for everyone because “It’s cold in the mornings.” 

The mages + Dahyun had made it all the way past Dawnstar before running into a little bit of trouble. Said trouble was bound at the wrist and was now following behind Mina, who had to be restrained whenever the captured woman tried to flirt with Dahyun. 

“Look, I don’t normally try to stab just anyone. I usually go for the pretty ones.”

“Momo, are you sure I can’t electrocute her again.” 

“No. Twice was enough.”

Dahyun did her best to ignore Sana, but after the fourth pick up line, she couldn’t stop the red tint on her cheeks. 

“Yah! Stop flirting with my girlfriend you snake!” 

The five women passed through the heavily fortified outer gate and into the bustling city. Strolling through the merchant's district in the front of the city, the women passed by the local inns where dunk men danced outside. West Solitude is home to several local businesses as well as the main gate of Solitude. The Winking Skeever is one of the more successful inns located in the city, due to its convenient location being near the main gate and the town square. Southeast of the inn is the town square, where various smaller businesses gathered to sell their daily catch of fish or their signature wines. 

Momo turned to Seulgi as they pass by the plaza, “Why don’t you take our flirtatious bandit here up to the guards near the castle and get her settled in one of their finest prison cells.” Seulgi smirked and nodded to the Archmage. When the group reached the end of the main street, Seulgi grabbed Sana’s shoulders and directed her left towards the area called Castle Dour where the military forces of Solitude reside. Before the two rounded the corner, Sana made sure to wink and blow the group goodbye kisses.

Momo, Mina, and Dahyun continue the other direction until they were at the steps of the Bard's College. The two-story building was tall on its own, but the tower in the middle of the building easily towered over any nearby structure making the whole college stand out against the resident homes. All those interested in song-writing and musical instruments attend the college to master the art. 

“You know, when I was in the orphanage, I used to dream about going to this college to learn piano,” Dahyun said as the three walked up the stairs toward the main entryway. 

“Really? Why didn’t you after you joined the guild?” Momo asked the pale girl.

“I don’t know. I guess when I found out how far the college actually was compared to Riften, playing the piano didn’t feel possible.” Dahyun shrugged and pulled open the door into the college. Entering from the courtyard brought them into a reception area. The three walked in to see a small woman speaking with two other people. 

“Seungwan!” Momo ditched her intimidating Archmage façade and ran up to the smaller woman engulfing her in a spinning hug.

“Momo! Its been too long, did you bring Seulgi with you? I haven’t seen that bear in forever.” Seungwan said after Momo had set her down.

“Yeah, but she’s taking care of some business up at Castle Dour. On the way here we were attacked by a sorry excuse for some bandits, so we took their leader with us and now Seulgi is getting her situated with the Solitude guards.” Mina spoke up behind Momo, still not over how much flirting was done by the snake.

“Ahh okay. Well, feel free to roam the college until she comes back. Momo could I speak with you.” Seungwan motioned for Momo to follow her further into the college.

Dahyun and Mina took that as a sign to start walking around. The first floor of the college seemed to be the college library, the kitchen, and the living area for the professors. When the two women finished (snooping), they went up the stairs to the second floor. Upstairs was where the classrooms were. A few students could be seen sitting at wooden benches writing down anything deemed noteworthy while others strolled down the hallways carrying books and musical instruments. 

“I can’t believe the burning was canceled.”

Dahyun’s trained ears overheard two students as they walked into a classroom. 

“Wait!” Dahyun called out to the two students and ran after them, Mina following behind, “What was canceled?”

The two students turned to face the thief. A girl much taller than Dahyun looked down at her companion before answering, “Umm… the burning… of King Olaf.” 

“Canceled?” Dahyun had never been to the annual festival and was really looking forward to it. Momo had been hyping it up; telling her about the meat pies and spiced wine. Now the pale thief was disappointed that she set her hopes so high. “Why was it canceled?” 

This time the much shorter girl spoke up, “The Jarl was recently challenged to a duel and was killed. Now his husband, Jackson, feels that the festival is insulting and refuses to allow the burning. Wendy tried to convince him that the festival is many centuries old and celebrates Solitude but he still refused.”

“Oh, that . I was really looking forward to the festival.” Dahyun pouted and Mina walked up from behind, pulling her thief into a back-hug. 

“Yeah, now we don’t get to officially graduate.” The short girl gestured to her taller friend before continuing, “The only way to get the festival back would be to show Jackson proof that the burning of King Olaf is important to Solitude and not just a time for everyone to get drunk on spiced wine.”

“The burning of King Olaf is not only a yearly festival but also when students become official bards.” The tall girl told the two. 

“You can’t graduate! That's stupid. I’ll go right up to this Jackson fellow and make him change his mind.” Dahyun cracks her knuckles to prove her point. 

“As much as I would like to see that happen, Jackson is the acting Jarl now that his husband is dead.” 

“So.”

“That means he’s up at the Blue Palace which is always surrounded by guards.” 

“Oh…”

“I like your willingness to fight though. I’m Chaeyoung and this giant is Tzuyu.”

“My name is Dahyun and this is my girlfriend Mina.” Dahyun wraps an arm around Mina’s waist and pulls her into a side hug. The latter just gummied and returned the hug.

Meanwhile downstairs, Seungwan led Momo over to a corner of the library and gestured for the Archmage to take a seat.

“I’m assuming that you all came for the festival which, I’m sorry to tell you, has been canceled. Jackson has forbidden it because his husband, the previous Jarl, was recently murdered. He mourns Bambam deeply and feels that a festival that burns a King in effigy is distasteful. I’ve tried to change his mind, but he still refuses.” Seungwan let out a deep sigh and leaned back in her chair.

“Is there anything that I could do to help?”

“There is, to convince him, I want to read King Olaf’s verse. The Verse was Sooyoung’s contribution to the Poetic Edda, the living history of our land. Unfortunately, the verse was lost long ago.”

“And that's where I come in?”

“Yes, the verse criticized the reigning King Olaf. He was so incensed the bard was put to death and all the were copies burned. At least, that's what we thought until I translated some ancient texts a year or so ago. We now believe King Olaf buried the truth with the bard. If I'm right Sooyoung and King Olaf's Verse lie in Dead Men's Respite, along with the burial chamber of King Olaf himself."

“You want me to retrieve the poem and bring it back so you can read it to the court. I can do that. On one condition.”

“Anything.”

“I get three meat pies for free when the festival is back on.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

Chaeyoung brought the couple into one of the classrooms and lets them poke around. When Dahyun finds a small eight-stringed instrument and asks what it is, Chaeyoung tells her it’s a lute and begins plucking out a tune for the older woman. Tzuyu and Mina sat on one of the wooden benches where a book lay open on Mina’s lap. Tzuyu explained how the college didn’t just teach instruments and singing, but also the history of the land so that aspiring bards can major in tale-telling or song.

The four last track of time and ended up spending almost an hour playing musical instruments and reading books. That's how Momo and Seungwan found them; Chaeyoung and Dahyun sat at a piano while Tzuyu and Mina had created a pileup of history books.

“Mina. Dahyun.” The two perk up at Momo’s voice, “We’re going to help the college with the festival.”

“But I thought it was canceled.” The youngest in the room looks up from her books and towards the Archmage.

“For now yes, but we’re going to make sure this festival happens.” Momo looks a Mina and Dahyun before leaving the room. The two women
stood up and follow Momo down the stairs and out of the college. 

“As much as I want to help Chaeyoung and Tzuyu graduate, how are we going to convince Jackson to allow the festival,” Mina asked the older mage.

“We’re going to Dead Man’s Respite to find King Olaf’s verse. Seungwan wants to read it to the court to show them that the burning is a part of Solitude’s history.” 

They continued through the streets of Solitude until they reached the main gate where a group of guards stood. Seulgi was talking to one of the three men while the other two kept their heads on a swivel as if they were looking for someone.

“Seulgi, What's going on here?” Momo walked up to the monolid mage. 

“Sana broke out of prison and is missing.”