9:Sparkling green

Lured

It was just as hard as 10 years ago to see anything under water. It was useless. He was running out of oxygen too, and his chest was burning, the desperation to get air into his lungs increased. Suddenly he felt something tighten around his ankles and he panicked. Chanyeol kicked his legs, twisted his body, and used his hands to try loosening what hold him down. He had to get back up. No one knew he was out here, he was not ready to go. He couldn’t die. Not from being stupid. Not because he simply followed his heart. Instincts made him open his mouth to scream, but a scream from under water is not to be heard over the treetops high above.

 

A powerful cramp ran through his body, jerked him over on the side and forced his body to cough up muddy water. All of him was shaking as he inhaled air the best he could. He was breathing. If it weren’t for feeling so terribly exhausted, he probably would have cried tears of relief. Now he had enough with breathing, in and out between heavy barks from deep down in his lungs.

“Good, you’re still alive” A soft, dark voice spoke from somewhere close.

Chanyeol didn’t remember much, but he understood that he probably owed this stranger a big thank you for still being able to breathe. It was too early to open eyes or to speak. His body was still shaking and his lungs burned.

“Breathe, please. I’m here until you feel stronger.” The stranger held a hand on his shoulder, reassured him that it was completely fine to stay silent for a little longer.

 

As coughing became lighter and his body more relaxed, Chanyeol slowly tried to push his body up to a sitting position, and a pair of warm hands steadied his back as he did. When fully seated, he dropped his head against his knees, wrapped his arms around them. It felt like slowly waking up from a heavy sleep when light is too bright to open your eyes at first.

“Take your time, no need to rush. You were under for a long time. Humans rarely go that deep down”

The stranger more sung than talked, his voice dark and smooth, meant to soothe. Chanyeol’s eyes shut up at his words. He blinked a couple of times to let his eyes adapt to the warm light surrounding him and then he was ready to face his rescuer.

Beside him on the riverbank sat a gorgeous boy. His hair long, almost reaching his shoulders, a light grey colour. He didn’t wear a shirt, but his shoulders and chest were covered in Northern Lights, sparkling in green and gold.

Chanyeol cleared his throat a little. “Thank you”, he managed to get out, voice weak and raspy.  That earned him a heart-warming smile in return.

 

“What happened? How did you find me?”

“I heard your cry for help.”

When the stranger tilted his head a little and light from between the trees hit just right, he could tell his cheeks were painted in gold and his eyes had a bright green outline.

Chanyeol shivered again. He had read enough to have a feeling of who this was and almost unseen he pushed his body a little backwards, to create some space between them. Almost unseen.

The boy laughed. A wonderful, bubbly laughter filled the air around them. Then he reached out to touch Chanyeol’s foot and made him freeze his slow movements.

“I’m Jongin, but I guess you guys usually are naming me /the nøkk/”

Chanyeol pulled away his foot, squinted his eyes.

“Don’t worry. If I wanted you, you wouldn’t still be alive. I’ve fed this year. Now, tell me what you were doing down there!”

Chanyeol hadn’t had the energy to have a look around yet, but as this felt more and more like a dream, he slowly had a look around. Could he be dead after all?

He wasn’t seated by the pond. A lazy river was floating by the bank of white sand where they were seated. Large trees stood tall wherever he looked and a sky glowing warmly in red was seen in the horizon.

 

“I tried to save my friend, Baekhyun. I jumped after him.”

The return of the memory made his head spin, his eyes desperately searching for the boy he had lost again. All he could see was green and millions of small white stars spread out between the majestic trees.

“Aaaah, I see”

The stranger, or Jongin or... Chanyeol had trouble taking in that he, maybe, was seated next to the most feared shapeshifter of the underworld. Whatever his name was, he nodded slowly.

“You’re Chanyeol, I see! That’s why I could hear you”

“How do you know my name and what?”

Jongin’s laughter filled the air again and he shook his head a little. “Who doesn’t?” He asked, clearly surprised by Chanyeol’s question. “And you’re taken, your heart belongs here”.

Chanyeol watched Jongin stand up. He looked even more stunning like that. If it weren’t for the green in his eyes, he never would have believed him. The boy politely bowed. “Welcome to our forest. I hope you’ll feel welcomed.”

“Now let me go get Baekhyun. It was his first time crossing over, I guess he didn’t know how to get you down. Kids…” Jongin shook his head lightly. Chanyeol stared at him with his biggest eyes.

“You know Baekhyun?”

“Yes, and I’m glad he finally found you. He was starting to be annoying everyone around here”

Before Chanyeol got the chance to thank him again for saving him or ask another question, he had too many, within the blink of an eye, the boy was gone. In the distance, he saw a white tail floating in the air. Where laughter a moment ago had filled the air, the sound of four hooves hitting soft ground was the only thing left.