Part one - barefoot memories

Lured

In the depths of the darkest forest lies secrets you don’t dare not to believe. Knowing the truth about the forest spirits and their underworld could save your life.
If you pay attention, that is.


There are especially two creatures I would like to introduce to you:


 Huldra is a dangerous seductress who lives in the forest. She has a long cow's tail that she
 ties under her skirt in order to hide it from men.
Lore of huldra and huldrekall (male) tell of them using their beautiful appearance and seductive charm to lure young men and women back to their caves or subterranean homes where they may be kept as slaves, lovers, or worse – depending on the tale.
One of their methods is to appear suddenly out of the rain and mist, friendly and enticing to the point that no man can resist her charm.


Sometimes the humans are released, but are cursed with the constant temptation to return to their captor. Other tales describe them getting married to humans, losing their tails, and becoming human themselves – but retaining their magic.


Nøkken is a fresh water dwelling. The nøkk is both dangerous and clever. He plays a violin to lure his victims out onto thin ice or in leaky boats and then draws them down to the bottom of the water where he is waiting for them. The nøkk is also a known shapeshifter, usually changing into a horse or a man in order to lure his victims to him. His horse form often has a long tail, and he will try to make the person touch it, if the person is to touch it, they are stuck and dragged with him into the depths of the lake, where they would drown.


The following story is inspired by the horror and beauty of the secret life in old forests with bottomless ponds and mesmerizing waterfalls.