One

D R I F T E D

Lisa is happily enjoying herself with the company of people that she often meets on some familiar places she's not even really sure that exists. They were laughing and playing merrily together as if there's no hint of any negativity painted on their faces – they are probably just “happy people” if one would be asked to describe them.

"Lalisa!" A voice interrupted in the middle of their laughter, but it's as if she was the only one who heard the call, as the others continue to laugh and dance, indulging themselves in the merriment.

"Lalisa..." the voice resonates again, and Lisa found herself in another place, in the middle of flashing waves – all confused and a little scared ... in fact, really scared.

"Hey! Wait!" Lisa murmured in her sleep with droplets of sweats that had formed on her forehead.


"Lisa!" Lisa heard someone calling her once again.

"W-where...who are you?" Lisa continuously asked questions with her eyes closed.

"Hey, Lisa, wake up! It's me, Jennie." Lisa, who's now aware that she was just dreaming, gasped for air as she finally woke up from her sleep.
"That dream again." She whispered to her self, still catching her breath. Everything about her dream is so lucid, which reoccur often in her sleep, with the same plot…but leaves no resolution at all.

Lisa then was finally brought to reality, as she noticed Jennie (her roommate) standing on her bedside while she dries her hair with the towel.
"Are you okay?" Jennie inquired the other girl who is still baffled with her thoughts from the dream she just had.
"Yes...I am. I'm fine. It's just...nevermind" she replied.
“If you say so...” Jennie shrugged with an unconvinced tone.

Lisa and Jennie had been roommates for a while since the Spring semester had begun. Jennie is a graduating student taking Business and Finance Management, while Lisa, on the other hand, is still on her Freshman year, taking her Bachelors in Arts Studies.
Despite of the fact that Jennie radiates a carefree soul and who is very laid back, which is the total opposite of Lisa’s love for solitude, Lisa is still thankful that Jennie respects her preferred way of life which had allowed them to live mutually as roommates until this another semester.

“Off to somewhere?” Lisa asked Jennie, hoping to change the topic.


“Yeah, school stuffs, y'know...senior years can be tough.” Jennie replied with a chuckle, as she tries to mix and match the clothes from her closet.

“How do you say?” Jennie asked Lisa, holding a white and a denim skirt.
“Cool!” Lisa nodded in response.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Days have passed so fast before Lisa knew it.
Today is Monday, the beginning of another semester of her Freshmen years. She woke up alone in her room, Jennie must have left already. She checked her phone and the time reads 7:33 a.m.
"Damn it!" She cursed herself for being a sleepy head, and above all, because it's Monday, which means she has an early class to attend.

Lisa went to her school, walking along the hallways, making long strides to make her way to their first class.
"Hey, look at your way." A guy complained as Lisa bumped in with him. Lisa, on the other hand, who is much more concerned about how to get on her way to class the soonest possible time, considering she's already ten minutes late say "Sorry." hastily, proceeding on her way.
"Did you see that?" The guy asked his friend with an annoyed tone.

It's already 8:15 a.m. when Lisa arrived at their classroom. It's not that their professors mind that much when some students arrive late in their class, Lisa just simply hates the idea of being the center of attention every time she comes in late. Now, I hate Mondays! Lisa thought to herself. She entered the classroom, slowly opening the door, and to her surprise, she was welcomed with empty seats inside.
"Hello there!" Called someone which startled Lisa.

"." She cursed under her breath as she was startled by the sudden call.

"Oh, sorry! I think I scared you." The guy said with a concerned tone.

"Uhm~ is this perhaps a Humanities 101 class?" Lisa asked with hesitation. Coming to class late is better than coming to another class she's not enrolled in, which is far more embarrassing than any others. Lisa has such a bad experience during her first day last semester, and she promised to herself that it would be the first and last time she'll be involved in such stupidity. But she's guessing that first day of classes may not be her lucky day.

"Yes, this is Humanities 101 under Mr. Yoon. Mr. Yoon only met the class for few minutes to announce that he can't start the class today for some important matters he needs to attend in their Department." The boy explained politely.

"I see." Lisa nooded in relief.

"By the way, he left some reading assignments. Here." The guy gave Lisa the copy that their professor left for the class.

"And yes, before I forget, please do sign the attendance sheet. I'm about to turn it in to his office, then you just came in time." He added with a smile.

"Okay."

"Here's a pen." The guy offered.

"Oh, thank you." Lisa said, accepting the pen shyly and signing the attendance.

"Thank you once again." Lisa bowed to the guy across her.

"You're welcome." Replied the boy and Lisa finally left the room.

"La-li-sa Ma-no-ban." He reads the attendance where Lisa signed.

"Lalisa Manoban." He chanted her name with a smile forming in his lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Right after signing the attendance, Lisa went straight to the university cafeteria to take her breakfast.

Eventhough she was disappointed to have come to class as fast as she could, only to find out that some Mr. Yoon won't be holding a class today, Lisa was still thankful for the fact that she wasn't able to take any form of embarrassment as much as to become the center of attention of her classmates.

The cafeteria is crowded with students. However, it's not that surprising at all, considering that it is the first day of the semester. Some students are sitting in groups, some being loud, filling up the room with laughter and chit-chat, some are also sitting in their own – alone – having the world of their own.

With a bento, some snacks and her favorite yogurt drink on her tray, Lisa tried to look for a vacant table where she can eat her foods comfortably.

"Excuse me!" called someone softly.

"Hey there! Miss with a blond hair!"

Lisa looked where the voice is coming from. The girl with a red hair waved at her catching her attention. "Me?" Lisa thought in confusion. Looking around, realizing that there’s no other blond-haired buy her.

"Yes, you. There's still a vacant seat here. You can share with me." The girl said to Lisa, giving her a sweet smile.

"Okay then. Thanks!" Lisa responds, hesitating at first but she ended up accepting the offer, placing her tray on the table.

"By the way, I'm Park Chaeyoung, but you can call me Rosé." The girl told Lisa.

Lisa, being a wallflower, is quite not used starting and keeping up a conversation or small talks like this. However, in order not to be rude with the kindness offered by the girl who introduced herself as "Chaeyoung", she tried her best to at least respond to her.

"I'm Lisa, Lalisa Manoban." Lisa said with a shy smile, immediately looking away.

"Oh my God! Are you a transferee too? Your name doesn't sound like a Korean name." Rosé asked in an excited tone.

"No. I'm from Thailand...yes, but I've been here since last semester."

"Oh, I see. Sorry. I just thought that you are."

"Are you perhaps a transferee here?" Lisa asked in response, now getting curious about Rosé.

"Yes. I'm Korean, but my family lives in Australia. I grew up there but I decided to continue my studies here, which my parents have fortunately approved. So, now I'm here." Rosé explained happily.

"I see." Lisa replied as she continue eating her foods.

"I'm glad to be able to at least make one friend for today. It's hard when you're new to a place y'know." Rosé said laughing to herself.

FRIEND. Aside from her roommate, Jennie, Lisa is not good at making friends that easily. Aside from being an introvert, she can tell that she's not that good at expressing her feelings verbally. That's why, hearing Rosé considering her as a friend makes her feel a bit happy for some reason.

"I'm actually taking my Bachelors in Music" Rosé continued to narrate information about her, while munching her fries.

"How about you, Lisa?"

"Uh~" She was interrupted in her thought. "I'm on my freshmen year in my Bachelor in Arts Studies." Lisa replied with a smile for the first time.

"Wow! I rarely hear that course though, but it sounds cool. Tell me something about it. I'm curious." Rosé asked with enthusiasm.

Shy Lisa on the, on the other hand, can't help but to slowly let her guards down with the new 'friend' she have made."Sure." Lisa replied, and the two girls spent their free time together talking about each other.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Bambam! JK!" A guy in the name of Jung Hoseok called out his friends to sit in the table they have reserved for them.

"I thought you were all have been swallowed by a wormhole." The tall guy sitting beside Hoseok complained.

"Hey, why are you all so grumpy Kim Yugyeom? The semester has just started dude." Bambam said as he and Jungkook took their seats.

"What happened to him hyung?" Jungkook asked Hoseok.

Hoseok eyed Yugyeom encouraging him to tell a part of his 'story'.

"Well," Yugyeom started, taking a deep sigh.

"I just don't understand why some people can be so careless." Yugyeom said, rolling his eyes.

"What was that supposed to mean?" Bambam seem to start to feel annoyed hearing the words from the guy across him.

"Okay, if you're mad about us for making you wait for so long. Then, sorry bro, th-" Bambam tried to explain but was cut off shortly by Yugyeom.

"That's another thing... Anyways, nevermind." Yugyeom retorted, eyeing the two other guys across him.

"Hyung? Is Yugyeom on his period? I can't really handle him sometimes. He’s the worst!" Bambam said which just added fuel to the fire.

"Just shut up Kunpimook Bhuwakul!"

"Yah! I'm still six months older than you Kim Yugyeom! Remember that! Wear your manners---"

"Hey hey hey! Stop!" Hoseok interrupted the two, hitting their heads, hoping that Bambam and Yugyeom will come into their senses before everything gets even worst.

"Hyung!!!" Yugyeom and Bambam whined in unison.

"Okay. Shut your big mouths, you two! Don't make a scene. This is not our dorm. Act more like civilized beings." Said Hoseok. Jungkook on the side is holding his laughter observing the two of his friends argue, which is apparently not a new scene he witnesses on daily basis. These two never grow up, he thought.

"So, hyung, what happened?" Jungkook asked Hoseok when he felt that the two others have slowly calmed down.

"Well, guess what? Yugyeom, the lover boy gets excited all of a sudden when he saw his Ms. Unrequited Love---"

"Yah hyung, s-"

"Shut up Yugyeom! I didn't asked you to say a word!"

"Okay, as I'm saying, Yugyeom just saw his DEAREST Yerin this morning." Hoseok started.

Bambam was supposed to ask something when Hoseok noticed that he is about to open his mouth, and he signaled him to stop.

"Just listen."

"And so you know, we are ALL OBVIOUSLY AWARE of how Yerin clearly let Yugyeom know the line that 'he should not cross', but it seems like our friend here don't understand simple Math or just plainly stupid."

"Hyu---" Yugyeom protested with how Hoseok relays some details of his life with his other friends, but Hoseok who is beside him was quick to cover the younger guy’s mouth while he continue to explain.

"But then, it happens that Ms. Blondy who seem to be on a rush, 'accidentally' bumped him, and you know Yugyeom can be an idiot sometimes who will not give up even a small fight, stating how Ms. Blondy should be sorry for her 'mistake' ---"

"Awwww, yah!" Hoseok shouts angrily for Yugyeom bite his hands that cover the younger boy's mouth.

"And so, before I knew it, baaamm! Yerin's gone and I lost my chance. THE END." Yugyeom finished the 'story' himself with dramatic gestures.

"Ts, just admit that you never even stand a chance in the very first place lover boy." Said Hoseok nonchalantly.

"Woah~ thanks hyung! That's so uplifting!" Yugyeom replied in a sarcastic tone.

"You're welcome! You'll thank me later once you finally allow yourself to wake up Kim Yugyeom."

Yugyeom who feels like he needs to defend his reasons to his friends ignored Hoseok and gulped the hot coffee on the table all at once.

"Damn it!" Yugyeom exclaimed realizing what he just did.

"I just don't understand why some people can be so careless." Bambam said, imitating the way Yugyeom complained about Ms. Blondy a while ago, receiving an eye roll from Yugyeom.

"Who's this Ms. Blondy by the way?" Bambam playfully asked, moving his eyebrows.

"How would I know? She didn't even apologize remember?" Yugyeom replied with an annoyed tone.

"Isn't it her?" Hoseok said, pointing at the table where Lisa and Rosé are sharing, which made the others look as well.

Jungkook’s eyes widened in delight when his eyes meet the familiar face.

"Lalisa Manoban." Jungkook uttered unconsciously, just like the way he first read her name on the attendance sheet she signed earlier.

"Who?" His friends look at him with interrogating eyes.

"I mean, I think her name is Lalisa." Jungkook said clearing his throat.

"Aye~ I never know you were that smooth with girls JK. It's not like you." teased Bambam.

"No. It's not like whatever you are thinking dude." Jungkook defends himself.

"Remember earlier when Mr. Yoon asked me to handle the class attendance and distribute the reading assignment? She's the last one to come in class before I left the room." he explained further.

"Oh, so she’s our classmate in Humanities" Bambam exclaimed.

"Obviously." replied Jungkook.

"See lover boy? Meeting Ms. Blondy in such 'unfortunate encounter' must be fate. Give it a try." Bambam suggested.

"What the hell??? You should really stop watching dramas Kunpimook!" The annoyed Yugyeom replied and the two started to argue once again.

While his friends continue to argue with each other, Jungkook can't help but to let himself grab the opportunity to take a look at the girl for a longer time, studying her face, as if he was looking intently to some photographs like he usually does.
When he first saw her in the classroom this morning, he would be lying if he will say that the girl didn't catch his attention. She's pretty and cute, that's a given. But aside from those things, he is starting to believe that there must be really more to someone than what meets the eye. He doesn't know if it's just a feeling or whatever beyond words can describe, but there's something enticing about the girl. If what it is, he's not yet certain, but he's sure enough that he will be able to discover it, one of these days.