Six

Fall

Six

“These are the Park buildings,” Chanyeol declares as they stand in front of the glass window, towering over the rest of the city. “We focus on science, genetics.  We help families find one another, police with finding criminals, new ways to have a promising future in our own society.”

“How?” the boy asks, little head tilted back to look up at him.  Suddenly Chanyeol sees how much the boy has grown. His features have matured, eyes sharp with experience and knowledge, determination full.

“Come, Boy,” Chanyeol orders with a grown half smile. “I will show you.  Perhaps Uncle Namjoon is here as well to help.”

“The nice one that sent me a telescope for my top ranking science score?” Sehun questions excitedly, and Chanyeol nearly cries.  The smile is back, painfully nostalgic.

“Yes, he is the one,” Chanyeol confirms and takes Sehun’s little hand in his. “He’s been eager to meet you, my son.”

 


 

“Look at what you’ve done,” Yoona accuses as she sits down, nursing a steaming mug with both hands. Chanyeol shrugs, more proud of Sehun than sorry for Yoona. “He plucked out three strands!”

“It was an accident, Omma,” Sehun retorts from his place next to Namjoon, sitting on his knees on the stool. “Abeoji didn’t say anything when I did it to him.”

“That’s because your abeoji has a thick skull,” Yoona huffs with her nose in the air, making everyone in the room show their amusement one way or another. “Sehunnie?”

“Yes?” the boy answers, cutely hesitant enough for Chanyeol to burst out laughing.

“If you find out a way to prove to me that I’m not related to my parents,” Yoona begins mischievously and Sehun blinks. “I will buy you a puppy and all the chocolate in the world.”

Chanyeol tsks when the child actually scrambles to work.  Yoona sits back with a smug look, sipping her cup. She’s paler than Chanyeol remembers her being.  Maybe it’s the freezing weather, he tries to reason. But the way her bones jut out under her skin, it worries Chanyeol.

 


 

Yoona becomes weak eight months in, and Chanyeol is unable to do anything but put her into a doctor’s care.  He saw the signs. But why didn’t he question them sooner?

“Her body is taking care of the baby,” Doctor Zhang explains before pausing, unsure of how to explain it. “It’s slowly giving up on Mrs. Park’s body to ensure the healthy birth of your daughter, is what I’m trying to say.”

“What are the chances of both of them being alive in the end?” Chanyeol asks grimly as Sehun grips onto his wrist harshly.

“Slim, but we will do the best we can,” Doctor Zhang promises with a reassuring look. “She’s fairing well enough right now.  She’ll make it to the end.”