chapter 1

dangerous

They say we're in danger, but I disagree. If proven wrong, shame on me, but you've had faith in me so I won't shy away. 


Sakura entered the classroom, ready for another lecture on the human body. The straight A student was already familiar with the content to be covered so she wasn’t too fussed.

“Okay class. Today I’ll be assigning you your final project for this unit,” announced Ms Yoonjung as the students finally settled down.

Sakura remained neutral, as the class groaned in annoyance.

“This project is to be completed in pairs and no, you cannot choose your partners as they have already been arranged,” notified Ms Yoonjung, crushing the hopes of all her students.

“Damn, that’s tough. We might still get paired though,” whispered Chaeyeon on her left.

“Fingers crossed,” Sakura replied, despite not really minding who she was paired with. 

“You’ll have 2 weeks to create a presentation on a designated body system, more information is on this handout. I’ll now read out the partners.”

Knowing that everyone was hoping to get paired with her, Sakura wondered whose name would be read out along with hers.

“Kim Minju and Kim Chaewon, Jo Yuri and Choi Yena, Miyawaki Sakura and…”

Everyone unconsciously inhaled as they prayed that they would be lucky enough to be paired with Sakura; the popular girl next door, who anyone and everyone adored. 

To their surprise, Ms Yoonjung continued and said,

“...Kwon Eunbi.”

Disappointed, the students gasped as they glared at the girl with the dyed black hair, gazing out the window.

Out of all the people to be paired with, Kwon Eunbi wasn’t exactly Sakura’s first pick. In fact she wasn’t even her second, third or relatively her pick at all.

Nonetheless, while Sakura didn’t tend to judge many people, she found herself intrigued and quite frankly, allured by the careless girl.

Kwon Eunbi was the classic bad girl.

She was a motorcycle riding, leather jacket wearing player. 

She didn’t care about what anyone thought of her and spent most of her time chewing gum and drawing on the tables.

She was a peculiar anomaly to Sakura.

“Poor you, you’ll probably end up doing all the work,” she heard Chaeyeon remark.

Defending the girl, Sakura said, “Hey, don’t say that. We don’t even know anything about her. And if it does come to it then I don’t mind doing all the work, it’ll be better anyway.”

Staying silent, Chaeyeon faced the front again waiting for her own name to be called out.

Sakura wasn’t too sure why she defended Eunbi, but she just felt a sudden urge to do so, like it was right.

As she glanced at the girl in the leather jacket, who was quite clearly dazed, Sakura couldn’t help but wonder why she felt so drawn to her.

What about her made Sakura feel so different?

_____________

After introducing the students to their assignment, Ms Yoonjung allowed them to have some time to briefly consult one another.

Sensing that Eunbi wasn’t going to come to her, let alone take her feet off the table, Sakura packed up her things and made her way towards a table adjacent to Eunbi’s.

Walking there, she noticed the pitying and disappointed looks of the other students, but ignored them.

“Hi there, little Miss Perfect,” teased Eunbi as she saw Sakura approaching her.

So this is how it’s gonna be.

“Hey clichéd biker chick,” she countered.

Surprised, Eunbi said, “Wow, so she’s a feisty one. I’m impressed,” with a smirk on her face.

“I’m surprised you even expected anything less,” she returned as the playful side of her came out. 

As the two began working together, it became clear that despite their differences, the pair complemented each other. 

At first they were cold to each other, barely uttering a single word, but after playfully teasing each other and joking around, they naturally eased up to one another and became comfortable.

Eunbi would tease Sakura, but she would counter it and somehow the pair fell into a sort of natural rhythm.

They had a chemistry that defied all odds.

_____________

Sakura and Eunbi sat next to one another as they worked on their project in the library. 

Over the past week, the pair had been spending more and more time together, developing a mutual trust. 

Learning more and more about Sakura, Eunbi was captivated by the popular girl. She wasn’t used to someone being nice to her and actually trying to get to know her. Eunbi was beginning to understand why the girl was so universally loved.

Sensing that the diligent girl was feeling drained, Eunbi proposed, “Hey, let’s go. I’ll show you something special,” as she stood up and put her leather jacket back on.

Dazed, Sakura tried to protest, but Eunbi interrupted her, “No come on, I can tell you’re tired. Let’s have a break.”

Admitting defeat, Sakura packed up her books and the duo left the library, unaware of the eyes lingering on them.  

_____________

Arriving at their destination, Sakura saw that Eunbi had taken her to an isolated and grassed area, overlooking the bustling city across the river and hidden behind the trees. Looking up, she could see the stars in full view and stared in awe at their beauty.

Following the older girl’s lead, Sakura sat next to Eunbi on the edge of the lookout, legs swinging without a care.

“This place is beautiful. How’d you find it?” Sakura curiously inquired.

“My mum used to take me here all the time. Now I come here whenever I miss her,” Eunbi confessed as she stared into the open space.

Piecing together the implications, Sakura offered her condolences, “Oh...I’m sorry for your loss.”

“It’s okay. I think the wounds are slowly starting to heal, but it still really hurts.”

Holding Eunbi’s hand in hers, Sakura softly said, “Hey, I appreciate you telling me this. You didn’t have to.” 

“It’s okay, I wanted to. I trust you,” Eunbi admitted, while avoiding eye contact with the younger girl. “You’re giving me a chance, getting to know the real me when no one else is.”

Smiling to herself, Sakura leaned her head on Eunbi’s shoulder as they silently watched the city lights.