one

Baby's Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm serious this time. Don't marry her. That marriage won't last because she's in it for the money. Can't you tell?"

"I'm in love with her and she's in love with me, stop spewing bull."

"I'm not. Listen--"

"Just because I don't return your feelings for me doesn't mean you have to ruin every relationship I've ever had!"

 

 

 

 

"Fine. Marry her. See if I care. But don't come crawling back to me. I won't be there like I always was when you got heartbroken and came to my apartment drunk. I won't be there."

It's been five year since then.

Baekhyun sighed, brushing his hair out of the way as he trimmed the stem of the Baby's Breath, humming to the music when he heard the bell of the front door ring. Putting the flower down, he walked to the front, wiping his hands on his apron.

"Welcome to the Secret Garden! How may I help you?" 

The customer... he recognized her. She probably didn't recognize him. She was wearing expensive clothes. Her long hair flowed down her back as she looked at the pre-made flower arrangements.

"How about that one?" she said, pointing to a typical boquet of red roses. Baekhyun glanced at her ring finger, an expensive ring glaring at his eyes.

"Of course," he said, ringing up his customer, smiling.

It had been six years since he lost all contact with Chanyeol and half a year since he had since his wife. Apparently he had been wrong about their marriage. That idea had been haunting him since that  lady walked into his small flower shop. He tied his shoe laces that were frayed at its ends, pulling on his jacket as he exited his apartment. 

Maybe he shouldn't have said anything. Maybe he threw away their friendship for no reason. Baekhyun pulled his worn denim jacket tighter as the morning breeze got to him.

When he arrived at his shop, he turned the lights on, the aroma of flowers hitting him. He didn't make much money with his flower shop, but Baekhyun was happy. It didn't matter that his parent hadn't expected Baekhyun to use his business degree like this, and at first, they tried to discourage Baekhyun. When they saw how happy Baekhyun was and that he had a stable income from the shop, though, they stopped intefering and would often drop by to get a boquet or two. 

Baekhyun flipped the sign from closed to open, awaiting for the new day.

Baekhyun flipped the sign from open to closed, going to the back to grab his lunch.

Baekhyun flipped the sign from closed to open.

The front bell rang and Baekhyun walked to the front. There was a man in a suit waiting for him at the front. His presence was jarring compared to the casual and pastel environment around him.

"Welcome to the Secret Garden! How may I help you?"

"I'm a lawyer representing Park Corporations. As you may have noticed, the ownership of this building has changed. Park Corporations will be demolishing this building, so we are requesting that you relocate your business. The corporation will contact you with more details," the man said, sliding his business card along with the waiver towards Baekhyun across the counter.

"Ah... thank you," Baekhyun said.

The front bell rang. Baekhyun folded the paper and put it on his desk in the back. He sighed but resumed arranging a boquet order.

"Baek! I'm back! You have any orders you need me to deliver?" Jongdae yelled, entering from the back door.

"Oh... you're back."

"Why are you so out of it? You were fine when you handed me those boquets to deliver..."

"A lawyer visited while you were gone," he said, handing Jongdae the waiver.

"Rich s," Jongdae whispered. Baekhyun couldn't agree more.

It had been eight years when he lost ties with Chanyeol.

Baekhyun tied his shoelaces that were frayed at its ends. He probably should get a new pair. He pulled on his worn but trusty denim jacket and pulled it tighter when the morning chill got to him. He waited at the bus stop for his bus.

When he got to his shop, he the lights. It had been a year since he moved his shop. When he found out who was running Park Corporations, he felt numb, a couple fluttering butterflies, but he got over it within a week. The day was November 27. Baekhyun took a single Baby's Breath, untrimmed and placed it in a thin vase that he placed in the showcase at the front of the store.

The next day, he came back and took the Baby's Breath from the vase and tied a single white bow around it and put it in the back.

After work that day, Baekhyun visited the Han River, sitting on the edge as he watched the gentle white flower flow down the river. He went home.

 

 

It was Saturday, Baekhyun's day off. When he went to the store, he got a new pair of sneaked and then he headed to the grocery store. Baekhyun walked along the aisles, stopping to grab a plastic bag when he bumped into someone.

"Sorry..."

"It's fi-- Baekhyun?"

"Yoora?"

"It's been so long!"

"Yeah..."

"It's a shame we lost touch..."

"I guess."

"We should catch up some time..."

"We should..."

Baekhyun stared at his ceiling, trying to will himself to sleep.

He couldn't, though.

"He divorced four years ago."

"What?"

"Their marriage lasted only one and a half years."

"I saw her three years ago, and she was a wearing a ring though..."

"They got divorced because she cheated on him with a richer man."

Baekhyun had been right. She was only in it for the money, and Yoora confirmed it.

"You should talk with Chanyeol again... He hasn't been the same since you two fell out..."

"I don't think he misses me."

"Trust me, he does."

"I don't know... I think it's better the way it is right now."

Baekhyun still hadn't forgiven Chanyeol for what he said the last day he ever talked with Chanyeol, especially now the he found he was right. He missed all those times he would laugh with Chanyeol, but he didn't want to remain friends with someone who thought about him like that. As much as it hurt him, he knew it would be better for him. He got out of his bed and opened his closet. Underneath, he pulled out a box. It was cluttered with things of little monetary value, but they were of an immeasurable emotional value. He pulled out an old photo album and held it in his hands, looking at it. When he opened the first page, he was met with a smiling Baekhyun, his front tooth missing with a tiny Chanyeol w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter