three

Baby's Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He heard his mother scream in his parents' bedroom when he was eating his afternoon snack, his legs swinging as he hummed a tune he learned in school. Curious and concerned, he ran upstairs and peered into the bedroom. When he tip-toed to the door, the floorboard creeked and his mother turned and quickly ushered him out of the room. However, it didn't prevent him from unseeing what he had already seen.

The boy didn't know why but his father looked so heavy. He didn't need to touch the body to feel the eery cold. He didn't need his mother to explain. He knew something was wrong.

 

Everything changed after that day. Even only though his father left, it was as if his mother had left too.

Yixing cooed at the stray cat that was roaming around in the alleyway in front of his apartment complex. Reaching his hand out, he attempted to pet the kitten but was met with a hiss. He sighed when the kitten refused to come any closer. Readjusting his satchel, he got on his bike and headed off to work. Soon, broken asphalt and weeds growing through cracks in the street turned into smooth concrete as he biked to work. 

He pulled his satchel off of his shoulders as he started changing into his work uniform. He smoothed over the wrinkles of his button up shirt and tied his black tie. He looked at his reflection in the narrow mirror in his locker and pasted on a smile. He closed the door of his locker.

"I asked for sunny sides up!" the lady shouted aggressively.

"I'm very sorry, ma'am. We'll get a new one for you as soon as possible."

"I don't have that time. Why can't you lousy college dropouts do it right the first time?"

"We will also give a bottle of wine or champagne free of charge from our collection if you would like."

"You really think you can cover your screw-up with some wine? Do you think I'm a moron like you?"

"I'm very sorry, ma'am. I didn't mean to offend you in any way. It is just restaurant policy to give a complimentary wine or champagne if our staff makes an error."

''Ridiculous. My husband will make sure this restaurant gets the reputation it deserves."

As soon as he entered the kitchen holding the plate with the avocado toast that supposedly didn't have sunnyside up eggs. He put it on the counter and sighed.

"Table 37 asked for sunnyside up eggs on her avocado toast. She's demanding us to redo it."

Yixing sighed as he went to collect new plates to deliver, rushing about. When the brunch finally closes, Yixing unties his apron and hangs it up in his locker, running his hands through his hair. He rubbed his eyes once and quickly changed, grabbing his satchel and biking to his next job after bidding farewell to the rest of the staff. He hopped on his bike and braced the breeze as he started accelerating on the sidewalk. He looked at his watch. He had fourty-five minutes to each lunch and get to his next job. He locked his bike on the bike park and walked into a small restaurant that he frequented. It wasn't the cleanest nor the most appetizing, but it was affordable in his tight budget and near his next job. He stared out of the window as he ate his sandwich, observing people running from their day to day lives. He smiled as he saw a mother pushing a stroller down the sidewalk.

He had been there once.

When he finished his sandwich, he left a small tip under his plate and walked towards the bike park when he looked at the shop next to the restaurant. It was a small normal flower shop, but something about it made it so luring. He glanced at his watch. He had a couple minutes AND dollars to spare. 

When he entered the shop, he met the real flower of his life.

"W-weclome to the Secret Garden..." the shop owner stuttered.

"What's your favorite flower?" Yixing asked.

"Baby's Breath."

"Can I get a beautiful boquet of Baby's Breath?"

"Of course. There are a couple selections in the fridge over there."

"Ah... I'll take this one," he said pointing at a small boquet in a mason jar with a thick baby blue ribbon wrapped around it.

The shop owner rang Yixing up, and the Yixing paid for it while putting a generous tip in the jar. However, instead of walking away like normal customers, he grabbed a business card and pulled a pen out of his pocket. After scribbling something, he stuck the card in between the jar and the ribbon and looked at the shop owner. He then smiled.

 

"Beautiful flowers should go to beautiful people," Yixing said. He was so nervous. It was only until after he had decided to hand the jar of flowers, he decided to ask himself: Does he even swing that way? What if he's homophobic? Time seemed to drag on as he saw the shocked look on the other's face.

"Someone's ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter