Guilt

Give me your Hand

With every fleeting hour, the school lectures reached its end.

 

Crashing noises of footsteps flooded out each classroom. Students, waving goodbye to each other as they proceed to the safety and comfort of their houses. Jeongyeon, on the other hand, made her way to the designated room of her hour detention. Warming her seat in the back corner, she straightens her legs on the top exterior of the wooden table, sinking her shoulders in a comfortable position.

 

The unknown teacher who stood in charge took no attention to the latter's behaviour. Instead, fixing his eyes towards the bright screen in front of him. A gullible smile painting his face.  Seemingly a substitute replacing Ms. Park as she likewise felt discouraged sitting with Jeongyeon for an excessive amount of valuable time. As in the past, the highschooler frequently made occurrence for detention under Ms. Parks commands which merely created a hostile relationship between both sides. Yet besides that, Ms. Park was the only teacher she ever seemed comfortable with. Prior to her persuasive voice for conversation.

 

Minutes dragged by dreadfully slow. The ticking of the clock only urged her impatient greediness to escape. The substitute -- who momentarily set his phone down -- diverted his eyes to Jeongyeon. Nervousness flashing his face.

 

"Ms. Yoo, I know you still have about 30 minutes before you can leave but I need to go pick up my kids. So, um, may I trust you to not leave the class by then?"

 

He certainly was new to this school, especially if he didn't previously know Jeongyeons antics

 

"Whatever you say." Her tone nonchalant, unbothered by their conversation. Finally.

 

"Thank you honestly" In a hast, he tucked his essentials within his suitcase. Speeding his way towards the classroom door, he stopped in his steps, turning back.

 

"Oh, urm, don't tell the school about this." Another flash of nervousness

 

Jeongyeons murmured a quick sure as her position deepened in the seat. He proceeded his way out, Jeongyeon following his actions minutes later. How easy it was to manipulate teacher is beyond her.

 

Walking through the hallways, she slid her hands in her back pocket to grab a certain stress-reliever. Depending on it much too lately.

 

She lit her cigarette and inhaled the comforting taste. It was enticing, surreal even. Her thoughts were jolted back to reality as her attention followed the sound of conversation being heard from the ends of the hall. She had to come to terms that her foot still stepped on school grounds and the last of this precise situation wasn't pretty.

 

""

 

Jeongyeons foot took a sharp curve to the corridor perpendicular to her. The distinct sound of music could be overheard from the closest right. She took the chance. Her steps were lights, making her way inside a room that held mirrors to replace the walls. The sight of someone dancing to the rhythm of each beat attracted Jeongyeons attention. Each step, each move was fascinating. The skilled dancer came into view, reflecting her features.

 

‘Oh no no no no c’mon not again for christ sake’

 

Momo abruptly stopped her steps after the unknown figure eyes crept in the background. Her face washed with sweat. Her breaths held intensity and her eyes pierced in Jeongyeons soul.

 

"What the hell Jeongyeon, w-what are you doing here?" Her hands rested on her hips, "Were you spying on me?"

 

The blonde snorted, "Yeah, as if." She leaned her weight on the now closed door. She dragged her cigarette near her lips before smirking at the now annoyed Momo.  

 

What felt like hours of silence, Momo spoke again. Her arms crossed instead

 

“Don’t you have detention with Ms. Park?”

 

“Yeah, so?” It wasn’t unusual for her to bail on detention. She ought to keep to her reputation anyways.

 

“So why are you here?” Her arms moved frantically, “I’m trying to do something right now” Jeongyeon countered with an amused smirk. She hadn’t seen Momo look this embarrassed in years. Not after the spilling of water on her white blouse incident.

 

“Oh, forgive me for intruding on Ms. Hirai’s little dancing show. How could I ever repay my sins.” She sarcastically bowed to the latter whilst her voice peaked another level of sarcasm.

 

“You know what, I don’t even care. Watch me for all you want, just keep you and your drugs as far away from me.” Her body spun, her hair dramatically doing the same.  Facing the mirrors, her back faced Jeongyeon. With one click the silent room filled with an upbeat rhythm. This time, Momo dancing techniques were stiff because of a certain glare from the other latter. Eventually, her motions grew softer, easing her flow to follow each beat.

 

Jeongyeon watched in awe. As much as she resented Momo, there was a certain something that realized how talented the girl was. Her body moved on its own as if she’s done it in her prior life. It was captivated, inspiringly made Jeongyeon desire to drop her cigarette and join the fun. Yet she stayed firm, cross-legged, on the wooden floor.

 

She wanted to say something, anything distasteful to wash away her reactions. Minutes passed, maybe even second for all she knows. Her glued eyes took its rest onto her watch.

 

“Wow, I actually stayed at this school for an hour. A record.” She chuckled  

 

The latter stopped at her steps. Breathless, she turned to click the music off. Picking up her towel which hung at the side, wiping each drop that rested on her face. She looks back at Jeongyeons wandering eyes.

 

“What are you looking at?”

 

The conversation quickly changed

 

“Don’t you have a massive studio at home to practice in, I mean, I bet you think this place is too suffocating.”

 

“I—“ Momo paused, “Of course I do but I don’t feel like going home right now.”

 

“W-why?” Joengyeon hated how she stuttered

 

“Like I’ll tell the likes of you” she scoffed violently at the sudden questions.

 

Jeongyeon face hardened, suddenly snapping to reality. Her weight lifted off the ground, her once lit cigarette now old and ashy was thrown to the side.

 

“You rich kids always gotta have daddy issue.” She whispered loud enough for Momo to hear. Normally, during their feuding habits, Momo would launch back a remark at the latter. Yet she remained blank. Not even a scoff. She wordlessly stood in the quiet studio. Her hands clenched making her knuckles fade of colour.

 

It didn’t take Joengyeon even a split second to know that a sensitive issue was affecting Momo ’s behaviour. In all their years of misfits, this was a first.

 

She looked at the black haired girl with guilt. Guilt? Why would she feel guilty? She would punch her with little to no remorse. Yet, she couldn’t keep her eyes to look away from the pain in the girls face.

 

“Come”

 

Momo’s head tilts to the side.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Come with me”

 

“W-what why?”

 

It let out a sigh, "Don’t make this any more difficult for me, now, are you coming or what?”

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“What is with all the question, I’m not gonna kidnap you just get your here.”

 

Momo contemplated in her steps. Who wouldn’t at their relationship. Jeongyeon was acting off to her surprise and not in a wicked way.

 

Momo sharp grip softened giving Jeongyeon a chance to breathe. The girl didn't realize that she was holding her lungs until Momo gave her classic smirk.

 

"You better not be ing with me Jeong."

 

"No promises"