Chapter 4

Burning like the Sun.

The receptionist led the group down the hall to a room out of the way from prying eyes and gestured to the empty hospital bed. 'Can you lay on the bed sweetie.' she said to Hoseok who was thankful to be spoken to and not about, and looked up to Jin for assistance, the eldest and the youngest helping him up and onto the cold sterile sheet. 'The doctor should be here in a few moments.' she added while handing an admission form to Seokjin who began filling it with the dancer's information and returning it before the woman left.

The few minutes that they waited felt closer to an hour, the rappers and Taehyung found places to sit, Seokjin and Jimin flanked Hoseok's bed, the elder his hair while the younger rubbed soothing circles on the man's hand, while Jungkook kept pacing from the bed to the door to see if the Doctor was there yet. 'Calm down Kookie, you're going to wear a path in the floor at this rate.' Taehyung said opening his arms to accept the younger man who perched on his lap. Hoseok went to apologise to his brothers for worrying them but before he could say anything the doctor finally entered, face buried in Hoseok's chart.

'Jung Hoseok?' he asked looking at the man in the bed, met with a chorus of affirmations. Looking to the group he asked if they could provide Hoseok with some privacy while he was being assessed, adding that if they wanted one member could stay, no discussion was had before the youngest members filed out of the room leaving Jin to hold Hoseok's hand in place of the one Jimin had released. 'Can you sit up for me please?' he asked in a kind voice, waiting till Seokjin had helped Hoseok to an upright position before listening to the man's chest.

The next ten minutes were painful, from the blood draws to the assessment on his shoulder. The doctor asked what felt like a thousand questions to which Hoseok fought out the answers, refusing to make Jin speak for him. By the time the others were allowed to return, Hoseok was more tired and achy than he'd been all day, his eyelids threatening to fall shut at any moment.

The ten minutes hadn't felt much better for the men outside the room either, after leaving they thought it best not to return to the waiting room lest they draw any unwanted attention and so the five of them loitered around a vending machine at the far end of the corridor. They all stood and drank in silence, heads snapping in the direction of Hoseok's door whenever they heard the faintest sound of movement. An eternity later when they finally saw the doctor emerge they returned to the room, with a drink for the other two men. When they entered they saw an exhausted Hoseok propped up on a large pillow, Jin once again running soothing fingers through the man's hair.

'Hey Hobi.' Yoongi said in a deep voice as he placed Hoseok's bottle of water on the bed where he would be able to reach it with minimal effort. 'Thank you hyung.' happily welcoming the comforting presence of s as they stood around the bed. 'Well?' Namjoon looked to the eldest for an update. 'Um, well, his shoulder's fine. Well, nothing's broken at least.' he amended his statement as Hoseok gave a light scoff at the word 'fine'. 'We're still waiting on the results from the tests, hopefully, they won't be long.' The leader wasn't exactly thrilled with the vague answer but he knew that the fault didn't lie with Seokjin and so said nothing.

'You guys should go have lunch or something. You don't have to wait here.' Hoseok weakly said looking up to the members who were all shocked by the statement. For one they were shocked he would even suggest they leave him right now and secondly they were shocked that it was only lunchtime, the last few hours had been so exhausting for all of them that they felt like days. 'Do you really think any of us are in the mood to eat right now hyung.' Jimin responded, Hoseok nodded, he understood, he wouldn't be hungry if any of the others were lying in this bed. 'Besides we want to be here when the results are in.' Seokjin added, still idly the dancer's hair, feeling his head fall back harder and harder each time he reclined.

'Why don't you get some sleep Hobi-ya. We'll wake you up when the doctor's here I promise.' the eldest spoke softly, gently brushing a soothing thumb across Hoseok's forehead until long after the younger man fell asleep. The others once again found places to sit, or stand to look out of the window, silence fell strongly over the group, none of them wanting to wake the dancer who clearly needed whatever sleep he could get. When the doctor did return it pained Seokjin to have to wake him up, gently patting the younger man on his flushed cheek until he finally awoke, turning to his hyung with a look of understanding.

After Hoseok had blinked the sleep from his eyes the doctor approached, perching himself on the edge of the bed, about to begin his sentence before looking around the room at all of the eager faces looking back at him. 'They can stay.' Hoseok informed the doctor, not wanting his brothers to be ejected once again, as much for their sake as for his. 'Okay, your results are back, you've got a pretty nasty chest infection, which is why your fever spiked so high.' The seven men all nodded, taking in the information. 'We'll give you some antibiotics for that. Although, it really shouldn't have been this bad, not unless you've been quite run down recently.' They all shuffled in uncomfortable silence thinking back to all the late nights Hoseok had spent in the studio, rehearsing and perfecting new routines, sometimes not getting back until 2 or 3 in the morning.

'But he hasn't been coughing all that much, his chest's just been really tight?' Namjoon's tone transformed the statement into a question, the doctor nodded before returning his gaze to Hoseok. 'That's another thing, sometimes things like this can cause something called costochondritis, don't worry it sounds worse than it is.' he placed a reassuring hand on Hoseok's knee as he continued. 'Basically, it means that the cartilage around your sternum is a little inflamed, that's why it's been a little harder to breathe. I'll also get you a prescription for some painkillers, they should help with that and your shoulder.' He stood up to leave, flashing the dancer one last smile, 'The nurse should be in shortly with your medication and your discharge papers.' The young men all thanked him and bowed as the older man left the room.

'Okay, you're never allowed to stay out longer than Yoongi, ever again.' Namjoon said with a faint chuckle as he pulled out his phone and walked into the hall, doubtless to update their manager once again. 'Yeah, at least when I stay up all night I'm in one spot for most of it.' the eldest rapper said giving his youngest dongsaeng a pointed look. Hoseok wasn't about to argue, he was disappointed in himself, he usually knew his body so well, he knew when he'd pushed himself too far, when muscle aches were something more sinister but this time he'd lead himself straight to the emergency room and he didn't realise until it was too late.

'At least you can go home now hyung, what do you want to watch first?' asked Taehyung, deciding to lighten the mood in the room. 'You choose.' Hoseok replied with a trace of laughter in his voice, 'I'll probably fall asleep.' he added as he let his head rest Jimin's hand which was gently massaging his aching shoulder. They all turned to the door as they heard it open, unsure of who would enter, the nurse or the leader, it was the latter. 'The nurse is on his way up the hall, do you want me to warm up the car again hyung.' Seokjin flashed the younger man a large smile as he fished the keys out of his pocket to hand over. 'Thank you Joonie.' As the leader left the room once again he held the door open for the nurse to enter, who walked over to the bed greeting all the members with a big smile as he did.

'Hi there, here's your antibiotics and your painkillers, the instructions are on the labels.' he said handing over two boxes which were taken by Yoongi to be placed in his bag. 'And here's the discharge form.' this item being taken by Seokjin who read it before handing to Yoongi to put in the bag along with the medications. The elder man looked to Hoseok in the bed, and then to Seokjin, 'If there are any problems at all don't hesitate to come back okay, but for now just see how the tablets work and get plenty of rest.' The members all nodded in agreement and thanked the nurse as he left and prepared to head home.

Jimin stopped soothing Hoseok's shoulder as Jungkook approached and gently lifted the sick dancer placing him in the wheelchair parked against the wall. Seokjin gave Hoseok's hair a gentle smoothing as he made sure all the members were ready before giving the go-ahead to head to the car. They arrived, met by a smiling Namjoon who had moved to sit in the front passengers' seat, Taehyung returned the wheelchair while the maknae once again helped his sick hyung into the vehicle, everyone reclaiming the positions they had taken on the journey there. The return trip being as equally subdued as the first, the motion of the car once again helping the dancer fall asleep tucked against his hyung's side.

Thankfully Hoseok remained asleep while Jungkook, with Yoongi's help, got him out of the car and carried him to the door and laid him on the couch, Seokjin fetched blankets and pillows and made sure the young man was comfortable before heading to make the members something to eat, chicken and rice for the six of them and some soup for Hoseok. Meanwhile, in the lounge, Yoongi discarded the pillow Jin had placed under Hoseok's head in favour of resting the man's head in his lap, Taehyung sitting at the other end of the couch lightly his hyung's leg while Jimin and Jungkook sat on the floor in front of the couch so as to be close. Namjoon the TV to whatever channel Taehyung had insisted on, he had been told he was allowed to choose after all, and went to keep the eldest company as he cooked.

A little while later the maknae line and Yoongi were watching some comedy movie Taehyung had decided they would watch when they noticed the leader and the eldest enter, carrying trays of food, Jimin instantly standing to offer assistance. 'Can one of you wake him up please.' Jin asked to the three still seated members, Yoongi nodded and set about completing the task, gently shaking the sleeping man. After a few moments, the eldest rapper had the dancer sitting up between himself and Taehyung, the man still groggily wiping sleep from his eyes when Jin approached him with a bowl.

'You don't have to eat all of it, but you need to at least have some so you can take your tablets. Okay Hobi-ya?' the younger man nodded as he took the bowl from Seokjin, mentally noting that the eldest had evidently let the soup cool before bringing it to him. 'I'll do my best hyung.' he replied weakly from both the sickness and sleep as his eldest hyung placed a kiss on his forehead, 'That's all I want.' Seokjin said softly before sitting down with his own lunch. The men ate as the younger men filled the others in with the plot of the movie, the atmosphere lighter than it had been for most of the day.

They were all pleased to see Hoseok had eaten almost half his soup before showing signs of slowing. 'It's okay if you're finished hyung.' Taehyung said holding out his hand in an offer to accept the bowl which Hoseok quickly passed over. Jin walked over and exchanged the half-empty soup bowl for Hoseok's tablets and the bottle of water he'd brought in with the meals, Taehyung passed them along to the man at his side who took them without complaint before burrowing further into the blanket wrapped around him.

'Still cold?' Yoongi asked, placing a comforting arm around his dongsaeng who just nodded weakly, the elder hated seeing any of s like this, least of all Hoseok, he was the most upbeat of the group, he was their sunshine. 'How about we run you a nice bath, get you all cleaned up and into bed. How does that sound?' the eldest asked from where he was sat turning his head to Namjoon after the dancer had agreed to the plan, the leader leaving to go and run the bath, Jimin following him for fear the elder might not complete the task satisfactorily.

Jimin's fears were well founded when he saw the leader just turn on the hot tap and add a splash of bubble bath. 'Aish Joonie-hyung, you can do better than that.' the young dancer laughed as he stepped around the taller man to the bath, pouring in more bubble bath as well as some bath salts Seokjin had purchased for relieving muscle tension. While the water was running, Jimin retrieved the candles and matches he stored in the cupboard under the sink and lit some scented candles that he placed around the edge of the tub. 'Wow, next time I want a bath I think I'll ask you to sort it for me.' the leader laughed as he patted Jimin on the back as the younger bent to turn off the taps. 'Anytime hyung.' the younger said with a large grin as they both left the bathroom and returned to the lounge.

Upon seeing the two men return Seokjin assumed the bath was ready and walked over to Hoseok where he helped the man emerge from his blanket cocoon. 'Think you can walk to the bathroom?' the eldest asked brushing the dancer's hair out of his eyes, the younger man nodding. With Seokjin's help, the rapper shakily got to his feet, his arm around his hyungs shoulder his hyung's arm around his waist. The two men slowly and carefully walked into the hall, leaving the others to watch whatever movie the maknaes had put on now.

They were about six feet away from the bathroom door when the weakness in Hoseok's legs finally caught up to him, leaning into Jin more and more heavily until the eldest would practically have to drag him to advance. 'Kookie-ya.' he called loudly yet softly, so as to the let the others know it wasn't an emergency and spare Hoseok all the prying eyes that would follow the maknae. When Jungkook arrived he was hesitant to hold the man up by his injured shoulder so instead swapped places with Seokjin and carried the sick dancer into the bathroom sitting him on top of the closed toilet seat.

They were all family, they had seen each other change countless times so Hoseok was hardly uncomfortable with being undressed in front of his brothers, it was needing help undressing in the first place that was the sticking point, he felt so burdensome and he hated it. With a silent instruction from Seokjin's gaze, the maknae hoisted up his hyung and lowered him into the bath, the heat from the water offering instant relief to the tension the man didn't know he was holding in his muscles. Jungkook stood up by the bathroom door while Seokjin crouched by the tub a finger across Hoseok's cheek. 'I'll let you relax for a bit okay, I'll be back in a bit to help you clean up.' Seokjin was surprised to see Hoseok's head snap to him as he said that, his eyes fluttering between him and Jungkook.

'Stay, please. I'd like the company.' Hoseok knew he couldn't talk a lot in his current condition, but he liked being spoken too, he hated the thought of just laying in the bath in silence. Both men happily agreed, Junkook locked the bathroom door and sat on the toilet seat facing his hyung, Seokjin sat on the edge of the bath, using a cup to pour a steady stream of warm water over the dancer's aching shoulder. The men sat there for some time, the youngest filling most of the silence while the oldest helped the dancer wash his hair, they didn't realise quite how long they'd been there until Seokjin noticed Hoseok starting to shiver, the water no longer warm enough for the sick man.

Jungkook helped the rapper out of the bath and helped him to dry off while Seokjin fetched some clothes for him to change into, returning with another large woollen sweater, this time Namjoon's and a pair of Hoseok's thickest sweatpants. The dancer, feeling somewhat refreshed from his bath, managed to get dressed mostly unaided, mainly needing someone to lean on when he feared he would lose his balance. Reassured by Hoseok's performance in getting himself changed, Seokjin decided it would be worth trying to walk back to the bed again, and so with his arms firmly around the younger man, they walked into the hall once again, Jungkook not far behind.

They were walking down the corridor when Jin felt Hoseok's body tugging against his arms, scared that the man's legs were giving out he was confused to see that Hoseok could stand, he was just turning towards the door too soon. This wasn't his room, this was Seokjin and Yoongi's, that's when the eldest realised what was happening. 'Do you want to sleep in my room Hobi-ya?' the younger man nodded and looked to his hyung with a faint smile. Seokjin dismissed the maknae with a tilt of his head as he opened his bedroom door and lead the sick man inside, lying him down in the eldest's bed.

The singer pulled the blanket up around Hoseok as he himself got changed into something more appropriate for bed, the dancer's eyes lighting up when he approached the bed and crawled in next to the sick man. Once Seokjin had settled in, Hoseok turned to his hyung, burying his head in the older man's chest, feeling two long arms wrap around him, one hand found its place on the small of his back rubbing small smoothing circles while the other ran through his hair. 'Thank you hyung.' he whispered, knowing he need not say it any louder, he was met with a kiss placed on his temple as his hyung pulled him in even closer.

Seokjin knew the moment Hoseok had fallen asleep, he could tell by how the dancer's breathing changed and how his body gave little twitches here and there as he drifted off. The singer kept his hands performing the same motions they had as Hoseok was awake, listening to each of the youngers pained breaths, wishing he could do something to make it be over right now, even if it meant trading places. Even though the sound of Hoseok's discomfort saddened Seokjin, the rhythmic breaths in the silent room were enough for the singer to join his dongsaeng in sleep.