Chapter 3

Burning like the Sun.

The atmosphere in the lounge was subdued, the members had put on a movie but none of them were all too invested, due to fatigue and worry. Yoongi had sat in the armchair alone, eyes constantly fluttering from the TV to the hall in case Hoseok should suddenly appear. Jimin and Taehyung had sat with Namjoon on the larger couch the younger two communicating in hushed voices while the elder absentmindedly scrolled through his phone. On the smaller couch, the maknae had fallen asleep with his head in the lap of the eldest, who ran his fingers through the sleeping man's hair focusing on each of the younger's breath in a semi-meditative state.

Namjoon pulled away from the two men leaning into him as he checked the time on his phone, the group had decided to check on Hoseok every twenty minutes and the leader had volunteered to be the first. He walked up to the door and opened it as quietly as he was able, not wanting to wake his sleeping hyung if he didn't have to. He expected to see Hoseok asleep, the most disturbance he anticipated was the sheet to once again have been kicked off to the floor. That wasn't what he saw.

When Namjoon looked to the bed he saw the elder man curled up against the headboard leaning across the nightstand, glass shards scattered on the floor beneath him. The image was disturbing enough but the worst of all was how Hoseok's body convulsed as he tried to fight for air. The leader ran to the bed, taking care to avoid the broken glass, lifting his brother into a seated position about to ask him a question when he realised the man was still asleep. Cupping Hoseok's cheeks as gently as he could, despite how shaken he was himself, Namjoon tried to wake the sick man calmly so as not to scare him.

The younger man knew he had succeeded when the dancer's eyes fluttered open looking at him glistening with tears. The leader wasn't prepared for the force with which Hoseok's head fell into his chest and had to try hard to keep both men upright. The elder man shook as he tried to catch his breath, a task made harder by the faint sobs that escaped him, Namjoon ran a comforting hand up and down his back. 'I'll get Jin-hyung, he'll have a better idea of what to do.' He went to stand but was stopped by Hoseok's arms grabbing his waist, surprisingly forcefully for someone as weak as he.

'I'll get him.' a deep voice said from the doorway, Yoongi, Namjoon didn't question why he'd come but he was thankful he had and just offered his hyung a small nod in reply. Yoongi stood watching the scene for a few more seconds before returning to lounge, he stood there as calm as if it were a normal day. 'Hyung.' was all he had to say, Seokjin was the only hyung he had, the eldest met his gaze and instantly understood what Yoongi was trying to convey with a simple tilt of the head. The maknae stirred slightly as his head was lifted and placed on a cushion, luckily he didn't wake completely, the '95 line looked on as the eldest two left the room but knew better than to follow.

'What happened?' Seokjin asked in a hushed voice as they walked through the hall. 'I don't know, but I don't think it was good.' He was right on that one, they entered the room to see Namjoon still trying to soothe the sick man who hadn't completely calmed from his initial panic when he woke up. The leader whispered something to his hyung as the others approached, he was relieved they were here. It's not that he didn't like taking care of s, he did, but he knew that Hoseok needed the hyungs right now, as he would, so it didn't bother him when the sick man instantly fell into Seokjin's arms when presented the opportunity. 

It was a full minute before the eldest said anything to the rappers who stood there awaiting instructions on how to proceed. The main priority here was getting Hoseok calm, Seokjin had the man's head tucked under his chin while he idly the dancers back with one hand. The other hand held Hoseok's own, rhythmically contracting and releasing as a guide for how the young man should be breathing in and out to calm his nerves. When Seokjin did finally speak, he kept his voice quiet and lilting, hoping the sick man would just focus on the calming tone as opposed to any of the words in particular. ‘Will one of you pass me the thermometer please.’ removing the hand from Hoseok’s back to receive what he had asked for, while he kept the other one where it was to conduct the dancer’s breaths.

Seokjin took Hoseok’s temperature, clearing the display before anyone else had the chance to read the result. Using his free hand he brought up the younger man’s head until their eyes met and still kept his voice light and soothing. ‘Hobi, baby, we’re going to take you to the hospital okay. I’m sorry, but I think it’s for the best.’ he reassured as he wiped the last remnants of tears from Hoseok’s cheek. ‘How high?’ Yoongi asked, voice laced with concern. ‘High enough for the hospital.’ Seokjin’s answer was vague, but that in and of itself was all the others needed to know.

‘Joonie can you let Sejin-nim know what's going on and Yoongi-ya can you tell the kids. Make sure they don’t freak out.’ Despite the soft tone the eldest spoke in, the men knew he was serious and left to fulfil his commands. Seokjin tried to pry Hoseok off him as gently as he could, it wasn’t until the younger fought to stay in his arms that he realised how violently he was shivering. Being slightly more forceful, the eldest leaned the dancer into the headboard, his face as he stood up. ‘I’m just going to get you something warm to wear, I’m right here don’t worry.’ The eldest didn’t go to Hoseok’s wardrobe, choosing instead to look through one of Taehyung’s drawers when he brought out what he was looking for, a large woollen jumper that the young singer had bought for the cold Seoul winters. Seokjin carefully helped his dongsaeng into the comforting warmth of the sweater taking care not to hurt his shoulder or cause him to be out of breath.

Namjoon and Yoongi had both left their fellow rapper’s bedroom, the younger heading to the end of the corridor in order to phone their manager without fear of being overheard, the elder returning to the lounge. The second eldest saw the same scene he had left behind, the ‘95 line embracing each other on one couch while the maknae slept on the other, Jimin went to ask something but was cut off before he could speak. ‘Wake him up please, I don’t want to have to explain this twice.’ Yoongi said calmly, met with synchronised nods as the younger of the two men stood up walking over to his dongsaeng, gently shaking him by the shoulder. ‘Kookie, wake up please. Yoongi-hyung needs to talk to us.’ he added the last bit as he saw the maknae try to resist the awakening, thankfully the final words helped as Jungkook groggily sat up looking to his hyung for what he had to say.

Yoongi perched on the arm of the sofa where the two older men had been sat before beginning his explanation. ‘Okay, don’t panic, we’re taking Hobi to the hospital. Before you ask, I don’t know what’s wrong hence taking him to the hospital.’ The young men all looked at one another before Jungkook broke the silence, ‘What happened?’ not sure if Yoongi would answer him but asking regardless. ‘Namjoon found him in a bit of a state, I think his chest was playing up, anyway I think his fever spiked or something so Jin-hyung said we’re going.’

Namjoon returned to the dancer’s room after briefly updating their manager on the situation, he walked in to see Hoseok curled up in an oversized sweater trying to keep warm while Seokjin went around the room packing things into a bag, the leader sitting next to his youngest hyung while his eldest was busy. ‘Hey Hobi.’ the younger man said in a forced cheery tone as he placed an arm around the man’s shoulders, hoping to help him warm up. ‘Hey Joonie, sorry for scaring you.’ the sick man was just met with laughter from his brother, as the younger pulled him in closer for a hug, the subtext being he had nothing to apologise for. Jin was soon crouching in front of the men so as to be able to look up into the dancer’s eyes, ‘Okay Hobi, be honest, do you think you can walk to the car or should I get Kookie to help?’

Hoseok thought about lying, about stumbling to the car, but even lifting his head to speak made him slightly dizzy and he didn’t fancy another busted shoulder so he just offered his hyung a weak nod in response. ‘Can you stay with him for a minute Joon while I go and make sure the kids are ready?’ the eldest asked as he stood up. ‘Wait they’re coming with us?’ the younger asked, taken aback by the information, ready to use his position as leader to ensure that they didn’t all show up to the hospital which would be rather conspicuous. ‘We’re all going Joon, I’m not going to argue about this.’ Seokjin said in the tone that let Namjoon know that even if he was the leader Jin was the eldest. In matters concerning the group professionally Seokjin would happily defer to the leader’s authority but in situations that affected them as a family, the elder was in charge. The discussion was over.

Seokjin entered the lounge where he found Yoongi and the maknae line sat in awkward silence, four heads snapping to him the moment he entered. ‘I need you guys ready to go in the next 10 minutes, if that’s okay.’ the younger members equally surprised as the leader at the knowledge they were also going. ‘Sure thing hyung.’ Jimin replied as they all stood to go to their own rooms. Seokjin thanked them and headed to his own room to get dressed but not before turning to the youngest, ‘Kookie, can you meet me in Hoseok’s room when you’re ready please?’ Jin didn’t specify why but the maknae had a fair idea, ‘Of course. I won’t be long.’

After getting changed in record time Seokjin went back to Hoseok’s room, where he found Namjoon had gone and an already dressed Taehyung had taken his place while Jimin finished zipping up his hoodie and getting a mask for each of the three who shared the room. ‘Do you think you can wear it hyung, I don’t want it to make it even harder for you to breathe.’ Hoseok thought about it and decided he’d at least try, he hadn’t worn it for more than 10 seconds before he was weakly ripping the thing off his face. ‘I think I’ll skip the mask.’ the dancer weakly chuckled as he leaned further into Taehyung who was a welcome source of warmth.

‘It’s okay hyung, we’ll keep you hidden.’ Taehyung informed him, not one of the men in the room wanting to mention the fact that with the state Hoseok was in he was barely recognisable as it was, they didn’t much fear him being spotted. Jimin joined the other two men on Hoseok’s bed while Seokjin checked and double checked the bag he had packed for fear he might have forgotten something, then he noticed the youngest enter the room, the other two thirds of the rap line not far behind him, Seokjin throwing the car keys in their general direction hoping one of them would catch them, surprisingly Namjoon did. ‘Joonie, can you unlock the car for me. Oh and maybe get the heating on as well.’ The leader smiled and nodded as he left to do just that, the other rapper approaching Hoseok and placing a calming hand on his shoulder.

‘You ready Hobi-ya?’ the older man knew full well that Hoseok was as ready as he could be, but he wanted to give the dancer the feeling of some semblance of control in the middle of all this chaos, his dongsaeng nodded and fought out a shaky affirmation. Seokjin approached the bed and with a faint wave of his hand dismissed the men sat around Hoseok, the sick man letting out a pained whine as his dongsaengs pulled away from him, taking with them every last bit of warmth. ‘Kookie, do you think you can carry him to the car?’ Seokjin asked with pleading eyes, the younger man nodding and walking towards the bed. ‘Come here hyung.’ the youngest said as he placed one arm around his brother’s waist and the other supporting his legs and carried him to the car swiftly yet gently.

Jungkook gently laid Hoseok down in the middle row leaning against Yoongi and climbed up next to him, resting the older man’s legs across his own lap. Seokjin, of course, had decided to drive, Namjoon in the front with him while the last two members sat in the back while their hands reached over to the seat in front of them offering their hyung comforting ministrations. ‘Sejin-nim phoned ahead so we just need to check in.’ Namjoon informed the driver who just offered a faint nod, focusing on the route in his mind. The leader had turned the heating to its maximum setting, the other six men found the heat almost unbearable but Hoseok was still shivering into Yoongi’s side as the motion of the car lulled him to sleep before they reached the hospital.

‘Masks.’ Namjoon quietly reminded the members as they pulled into the hospital car park, the men all obliged as they exited the car. Jimin quickly fetched a wheelchair that Jungkook lowered the sleeping man into, trying his hardest not to wake him, however, be it from the wheelchair or the lack of warmth from no longer being burrowed into Yoongi’s arms the man did indeed wake. ‘Are we there?’ he quietly asked, and was met with six different variations of yes. Seokjin took the lead while Jungkook pushed the wheelchair and the other five men followed behind, the receptionist looking up to greet them as they arrived. ‘Jung Hoseok.’ the eldest said quietly across the counter so as not to draw any unnecessary attention. The woman had been briefed on the phone and quietly lead the men down the hospital corridor.