Chapter 1

Burning like the Sun.

5, 6, 7, 8 and turn, and step and trip over your own feet, that’s how you dance right? Everyone makes mistakes, everyone except Hoseok, the dancer never made mistakes. He was always the first to learn the moves and would always be there to help s perfect the routine. A bad day for him was taking more than 5 minutes to get the moves locked down, he doesn’t miss steps; he doesn’t fumble and fall over but he was just so dizzy. He stood up straight, ignoring the looks from the others, as he reassured himself that there were only 20 more minutes left of practice.
‘Ok, stop.’ their choreographer’s voice rang out through the studio, tinged with equal parts concern and annoyance. ‘Hoseok-a, is something wrong? it’s not like you to be making mistakes like this.’

‘So sorry choreographer-nim.’ Hoseok said, immediately bowing in apology to his teacher, the stumble he made upon righting himself was not lost on s who were growing more concerned by the minute. ‘I’m just tired, so the heat’s getting to me more than usual.’ and the room is spinning and every muscle feels like I’ve been run over by a truck he thought but didn’t say aloud.

‘Can you continue until the end of practice?’ the older man only received a silent nod from the young dancer who seemed to be too focused on catching his breath to speak. ‘Okay then, everyone back to your starting positions, we’re going from the top.’

The last 20 minutes felt like 200 to Hoseok, each movement felt like he was dragging his limbs through treacle, and was there any fresh air left in the studio at all, each breath of hot, dry air got caught in his throat. A wave of relief washed over him as the group hit the end pose and their choreographer dismissed them, after thanking them all for their hard work.

They all thanked the older man before picking up their stuff to leave, Hoseok had left his bag on top of Jungkook’s so he found himself next to the maknae as he fell when reaching down.
The second his head bowed, gravity seemed to take over and his legs crumbled beneath him, luckily the lightning-fast reflexes of his dongsaeng stopped him from hitting the floor.

‘Hobi-hyung?’ his eyes asked questions his mouth didn’t as he helped the struggling man to his feet. The dancer smiled as he patted Jungkook’s cheek to reassure him. ‘I’m okay Kookie, just tired and hot like I said before, not the best combination for good balance.’ his sing-songy tone did little to reassure the maknae who looked to his eldest hyung who thankfully understood the wordless communication.

Seokjin threw his bag over his shoulder and approached the maknae who looked at him like a scared little puppy and the dancer who looked less than steady on his feet. He placed a hand on Hoseok’s neck, both for comfort and to massage any tension in the younger man’s muscles. The dancer instantly leant into the touch, a little warm but that was to be expected after a long dance session.

‘What did you have for lunch Hobi-ya?’ the eldest asked after, what he deemed, a sufficient study of the dancer’s condition. What had he had for lunch, the dancer struggled to recall? ‘An apple and some yoghurt.’ it wasn’t a lot but truthfully he hadn’t felt that hungry, he didn’t try to defend himself though, not after seeing his hyung‘s look of disappointment.

‘Aish! No wonder you’re falling all over the place, you need to keep your blood sugar up when you’re working this hard.’ Seokjin lectured as he put his arm around Hoseok’s shoulder letting the younger man fall into his side. ‘Sorry, hyung.’ Jin was right, it would be useless to argue. Seokjin ruffled the dancer’s hair as he led his shaky dongsaeng to the car, ‘It’s okay Hobi, let’s just go home and get some food in you and you’ll feel all better.’

Hoseok was uncharacteristically quiet on the drive home, usually he, Jimin and Taehyung would be in charge of keeping spirits high after a long day but tonight that responsibility fell squarely on the shoulders of the ‘95 line. He made a few jokes here and there before resting on Namjoon’s shoulder, the leader thought his youngest hyung felt warm but if Jin of all people hadn’t seen a problem then how bad could it be?

Hoseok perked up after eating something, he sat at the kitchen table flanked by Jimin and Yoongi, both fresh from their showers. The three were deep in conversation with the occasional input from Jin who was busy making dinner for the rest of the group, fearing the dancer could pass out at any minute he served him some leftover bibimbap immediately after entering the dorm before heading off for the first shower of the night.

One by one the others entered the kitchen, Namjoon sat beside Jimin, arm around the younger as he checked on Hoseok. Jungkook walked in, hair fluffy from being towel dried, and joined Jin in the kitchen, not to aid in the cooking but just to offer company to his hyung. Last to join the fray was Taehyung who entered unnoticed until he wrapped his arms around Hoseok resting his chin on the dancer’s head.

‘I ran you a bath hyung, thought it might make you feel better.’ Hoseok held the younger’s hands and squeezed them as a sign of affection. ‘Thank you TaeTae.’ giving the singer a hug as he stood up and left the kitchen, the warm water practically calling to his aching muscles.

When he returned near the end of dinner, Hoseok practically looked like a new man, he had a light spring in his step as he approached the dining table placing a kiss on Taehyung’s forehead before sitting between him and Jin. ‘Feeling better?’ Yoongi asked, making a point not to look up from his plate so as not to look like he cared as much as he did. ‘I feel great.’ Hoseok replied enthusiastically giving a pointed look to Taehyung to let the singer know his bath had been more than therapeutic to which the younger just flashed a boxy smile.

‘Hoseok.’ Jin began, somewhat sternly, at least by Jin standards. ‘I hope I don’t need to tell you that food is important. Rehearsals are strenuous, especially the dance, and god knows Joon and I need your help, we can’t have you passing out during practice.’ he finished earning an understanding look from Hoseok and a jokingly hurt look from Namjoon. ‘I know hyung I’m sorry I just honestly wasn’t hungry, I’ll do better next time I promise.’ the rapper placed his head on his hyungs shoulder as a show of sincerity earning a kiss on the temple from the eldest.

‘At least the week’s over.’ Jimin’s angelic voice added to the conversation, earning an enthusiastic nod from the leader. ‘Yeah, you can have a lie in tomorrow Hobi.’ although Namjoon said it in such a way that Hoseok didn’t think he had a choice in the matter.

‘I’m fine Joonie.’ the older rapper responded, his words breaking where he laughed. ‘Seokjinnie-hyung’s already told me off for skipping lunch, I won’t let it happen again. No need to worry about me.’ The leader was greeted with a heart-shaped smile and felt any urge to argue fade away.

Jungkook had returned from the kitchen after putting his plate away and placed his hands on Hoseok’s shoulders. ‘A lie in won’t kill you hyung, just sleep, even if you are better, sleep’s great.’ the maknae earned laughs from all his hyungs but was too busy feeling the warmth radiate through the dancer’s shirt. ‘Hyung? Are you sure you’re feeling okay?’. Hoseok the maknae’s hands in reassurance. ‘Yes Kookie, stop worrying okay baby.’ The younger shuffled his brother’s hair before walking away, but not before noticing that his forehead was even hotter than his shoulders.

The members all tidied up their plates before saying goodnight and going to bed, all tired after a long day. Despite feeling better after his dinner and soothing bath, Hoseok failed to keep his eyes open after sitting on his bed, if it weren’t for Jimin he may have even slept without the covers.

Jimin and Taehyung walked into their room to find their roommate laying on his bed, the younger of the two men climbed up to the top bunk while the older went to check on the rapper. ‘Hyung?’ Jimin asked, barely above a whisper in case the older dancer was asleep, after receiving no response Jimin concluded he was and pulled the blanket over the sleeping man before laying down in his own bed.

What time was it, Hoseok didn’t even remember falling asleep, yet now it was dark and both his dongsaengs were fast asleep, although how anyone could sleep in a room this cold was beyond him. He had the covers wrapped around him and pulled up to his ears and yet he was still shivering. After what felt like an eternity of trying to fall asleep despite the cold Hoseok resigned himself to getting up and changing into some warmer clothes, which immediately seemed like the wrong idea.

The second he was on his feet Hoseok felt the world around him start to spin and his legs started to shake, even worse was the feeling in his stomach, was it the food he’d eaten or was it motion sickness from the walls rotating so much, he wasn’t sure but he was certain he would be sick sometime in the near future.

As quietly as he could, to avoid waking the sleeping singers, Hoseok fumbled his way to the door and walked into the hall, each step made him feel weaker than before. The growing nausea made it harder to breathe deeply, coupled with the dizziness Hoseok was worried he might not even make it to the bathroom before his dinner made a reappearance.

While passing his hyungs’ bedroom he rested his hand on the doorknob debating on whether to seek Seokjin’s help, no sooner had he cracked the door open had he changed his mind, convinced he could handle the situation. The rapper pulled the door and turned around to head towards the bathroom, before he could even make a step in the right direction his legs gave out and he came crashing to the floor, everything going dark soon after that.

Yoongi opened his eyes ready to kill whoever it was that had woken him up in the middle of the night, he thought he’d heard something but now there was nothing but silence, then he noticed the sliver of light coming in through the ajar door. Why was that open, Jin had come to bed just after him, after loading the dishwasher, and he had most certainly shut the door. The rapper looked over to the other bed and saw that his hyung was most definitely there, so that didn’t explain it either, now he was out of theories and decided to just get up and shut the door.

Yoongi tried to keep his eyes closed as much as possible while he stumbled towards the door, he rested a hand on the door, but before closing it something in him decided to quickly check the hall to see if an explanation would be given. The only explanation he was given raised more questions, he was not expecting to see Hoseok lying on the ground outside his room, but there he was, still and pale.

‘Hyung.’ was all Seokjin heard as he awoke, Yoongi’s voice contained the faintest hint of worry, from any of the others Jin probably wouldn’t have focused on it, but for something to worry his oldest dongsaeng, even the tiniest bit, it must be bad. ‘Yoongi-a? What’s wrong, are you okay?’ The rapper didn’t respond with words but just looked towards the door which was, inexplicably, wide open.

Seokjin stood up out of bed and his heart instantly dropped as he saw what awaited him in the hall, ‘What happened?’ he snapped to the younger, his tone harsher than intended, he didn’t wait for a reply before rushing to the side of the dancer, he looked down at his face and noticed how frighteningly pale he was but also that he was sweating.

‘He’s burning. Hobi-ya, can you hear me, can you try and wake up for me.’ the eldest pled as he gently shook the young man by the shoulder. ‘H-hyung?’ Hoseok’s voice was painfully shaky, but it was there, the man was awake, a good sign. ‘What happened Hobi?’ the singer asked calmly as he brushed the dancer’s hair off his sticky forehead. ‘I-uh-dizzy.’ for the first time the younger was realising what happened, looking around and realising he was on the ground.

‘Shh, it’s okay, stay calm.’ the eldest said in a calm voice as he a soothing finger across the sick man’s cheek, hoping to calm him as he seemed to be fighting gravity to get up. ‘Easy Hobi, stay there for a second while I make sure you’re okay.’ A small whine escaped the dancer as he scrambled to his knees. ‘No hyung. Sick. I’m...’ in a flash the eldest 2 had hooked their arms underneath the youngers and had him up on his feet and into the bathroom just in time for him to lurch into the toilet expelling everything he’d eaten in the past 24 hours.

Seokjin rubbed soothing circles on his dongsaeng’s back, trying not to be too put off by the man’s sweat-drenched shirt. 'Yoongi-ya, can you go and get Hobi some fresh clothes please.' There was a swift nod followed by the clicking sound of the bathroom door closing, leaving just the sick rapper hugging the toilet and his eldest hyung to take care of him. The singer ran a cloth under the cold water and went to rid the younger man's pale face of its thick coating of sweat, he was a little taken aback when the rapper recoiled at the touch.

'Too cold.' Hoseok said his voice fragile as he looked at Jin with pained and clouded eyes, the elder man's heart broke to see the usually upbeat man look so defeated. 'I know Hobi, you've got a fever that's why you feel so cold, but just let me clean you up and get you to bed.' Seokjin felt relieved when Hoseok voluntarily leant back into the cold cloth, even if doing so did elicit an exhausted whine from the ailing dancer.

Yoongi reached the Sunshine line's door opening it as quietly as possible, not so much as to be polite to the sleeping members inside, but more so as not to draw too much attention to Hoseok's condition. He was stood looking at the dancer's clothes deciding what to take, as Jin's instructions had been less than specific, when he heard movement behind him. 'Hyung? What are you doing?' Taehyung looked at him from his bed, still half asleep.

'Nothing, go back to bed.' the older man whispered back so as not to wake up JImin, but it was too late. 'Is Hoseok-hyung alright?' the dancer joined in the conversation, Yoongi decided to tell them half the truth, so as to appease their curiosity but not to worry them. 'He's thrown up, he'll be fine, I'm just getting him some fresh clothes. Now go back to sleep you two.' he gave them a look that let them know it was not up for discussion.

Seokjin had finally cleansed Hoseok's face of sweat and vomit when he heard a faint knock on the door, which began opening before he could say anything. 'Here you go hyung.' Yoongi said as he handed the fresh clothes over, keeping his eyes on the younger man the whole time. ‘Thank you Yoongi-ya, you can go back to bed now, I've got this.’ the younger man gave his eldest dongsaeng a reassuring pat on the shoulder before returning to the comfort of his bed, although sleep didn't come as easily as it had the last time.

‘Do you think you're going to be sick again?’ The younger man hadn't looked like he would be sick again, he was too busy shivering, but Seokjin thought it safest to ask. ‘No, I don't think so.’ the dancer weakly replied as he pushed himself away from the toilet and into the warmth of his hyung. Seokjin flipped the seat down and carefully brought up Hoseok to sit on the toilet facing him, the poor man looked so defeated, Jin couldn't tell if it was from being sick or if he felt bad for bothering his hyungs.

'Let's get you into something warmer and get you to bed okay.' Jin said with a large grin painted on his face in an attempt to cheer up the sick rapper, it worked a little as he was met by a weak grin from the younger man. 'Sorry, hyung.' Hoseok uttered as the other man helped him out of his soiled clothes and into the fresh ones Yoongi had fetched. 'Aish. What have you got to be sorry about?' Hoseok looked at the eldest with a sad expression but before he could answer he was cut off, 'If you even think about apologising for being sick you're going to be in trouble. If this had all been because you'd skipped lunch then yes I'd be disappointed but I think there's a little more going on here than a missing meal.'

A small chuckle escaped the dancer as he stood, fetching a fever reducer and some painkillers from the bathroom cabinet, taking them while Jin placed the sweat-drenched clothes into the wash basket. Seokjin gave his dongsaeng a proud smile as he placed an arm around the youngers shoulder, 'You read my mind Hobi-ya.' The dancer leant into the embrace, enjoying both the warmth and the contact. 'I don't want you to have to do everything for me Jinnie-hyung.'

'Let's get you to bed and see how you are in the morning. Do you want to sleep in my room or would you rather be in your own bed?' the question served as a litmus test for how bad the younger truly felt, if he was too sick he would probably opt for Jin's room so as not to worry the maknaes he roomed with. 'I can sleep in my bed hyung, I'll be fine.' his voice was stronger than it had been but was still shaky.

The eldest quietly led the dancer to his room and laid him in bed, both taking care not to wake up the sleeping singers. Seokjin ran his hand through Hoseok's hair, saddened at the heat he felt radiating off his forehead, hoping the fever reducer would start to work soon. 'Get some sleep Hobi-ya, hopefully you'll feel better in the morning. Oh, and Hoseok, no more collapsing in the hallway again, I don't think my heart can take it.' the singer jokingly clutched at his chest, happy to receive a chuckle from his dongsaeng.

'Thank you hyung.' Hoseok's voice was weak as he started to be claimed by sleep, the eldest didn't respond with words but instead placed a gentle kiss on the youngers forehead and carded his fingers through the dancers sweat soaked hair until he fell asleep. He quietly checked on the two young men in the bunk beds before quietly exiting the room and returning to his own bed, he checked the time on his phone, 3:12, and set an alarm for 6am to go and check on Hoseok. Although Taehyung woke him up before his alarm even had the chance.