Chapter 2

Shall We Go ?

It was only 11pm when SeokJin left his house to meet his friend. Of course he had to sneak out because his parents would never allow him to go out when he still had some work to do.

He managed to drop his keys a few times and bump his toe against the table in the dining room before 'quietly' exiting his home. 

 

He got to the bus stop two minutes before Taehyung, who was smiling at his sight.

« I'm surprised you got here before I did ! I thought you'd either get caught or break one of your legs while trying to sneak out. » said Taehyung with a mischievous smile.

Too proud to reveal the truth, Jin only answered : « You are underestimating me, I did a really good job escaping! Now, shall we go ? »

« Sure. Did you bring any item to survive during this rough night ? » said Taehyung, trying not to laugh.

« Of course, I did ! I brought gloves, snacks and a small torch. What about you ? »

« Hm... I have two torches and a scotch tape. And were the snacks necessary ? » answered Taehyung with a small sigh.

« You never know what might happen, we need them to survive ! And a scotch tape ? » Jin asked with a confused expression.

« I'll show you later. »

 

As they were walking towards the school entrance, it kept getting darker and darker. The front court was only lit by a lamppost which made it almost impossible for them to be seen by anyone. Seokjin was about to open the front door when Taehyung suggested using the back one.

« The front door is locked. The school guard never locks the back door, he only closes it. He doesn't because once it's closed it can only be opened from outside which means that if anyone gets in, they can't go out anyway. But the main reason why he doesn't lock it is because the key disappeared or got stolen, we don't really know.» he explained

« How are we going to leave the school then ? » answered Jin

« Wait a minute, I'll explain shortly. »

 

They made their way to the back door and when they got there, Taehyung took the tape out of his bag and explained : « We just have to cut a piece of it and stick it on top of the hole that's on the door frame. If you do this, the door will not close. I'll go inside and show you. »

He said as he got inside and proved his point.

After showing his simple trick to Jin, he pushed the door open for him and started guiding him to the corridor. 

Jin was really surprised that his friend knew this much about the guard and the missing key. He thought Taehyung wasn't interested in the school's rumors and news because he never participated actively to this kind of conversations. He was still happy that Taehyung could get such precious information.

 

The school was in a 'U' shape, there were 3 big corridors with large windows and three floors.

« Where should we go first ? » asked Taehyung 

« I heard the guys from 3-2 saw people in a club's room but I don't know which one it was though. » answered Jin

« Okay, we'll go through each one or them then. » said Taehyung with no expression 

« You're not even scared one bit, how impressive ! » his friend commented 

 

They went to the second floor and checked most of the classrooms from the right side of the building without finding anything.

« We might need to check the room the old drama club used to practice in, right ? I mean, just to make sure... »

Jin only nodded his head to show his approval.

 

They quickly made their way to the left corridor on the first floor and as Taehyung expected, they didn't find what they were looking for in the abandoned room.

They looked for anything that looked suspicious but still got nothing. 

Considering this a failure, the boys went back to the second floor and the right corridor which they first inspected.

 

Feeling tired, SeokJin leaned his body against a  window and he noticed something. 

He blinked his eyes way too many times to see if he was hallucinating or not. He then sat on the floor while grabbing Taehyung's hand to make him sit too. 

« What's wrong ? Why did you make us sit Jin ? » asked Taehyung with a confused tone.

« I'm not sure you want to check but I saw two human shadows in the old drama room downstairs we checked a few minutes ago.» answered Jin with a stuttering voice.

Taehyung slowly got up to check for himself. His eyes were searching for the room Jin was talking about and it was difficult to see since it was so dark. After 10 seconds, he could finally see the two shadows. He suddenly decided to hold onto Jin's hand to lead him to the classroom and began to run.

« Don't you think we should head back home Taehyung ? » asked Jin with a voice full of worry.

« No, we should definitely go there. » he answered as he kept running with a small smile forming on his lips.

 

They soon got to the said room and the two shadows were still there.

« You can come with me if you want, I don't want to force you though. I'll go get them, just wait for me.» Taehyung said while patting Jin's shoulder to reassure him.

 

The young man, who wasn't really scared about the situation, slowly but surely made his way towards the first shadow that was facing him.

His excitement was starting to grow a lot when he noticed that the shadows were actually mannequins. Although he was disappointed about not catching real people, he couldn't help but wonder about the mysterious presence of the mannequins.

Then, he turned away to let Jin know about the news « You can come dude, our two little friends are only mannequins from the science class. »

Jin entered to room while letting out a big sigh of relief and answered with a now normal tone : « I guess the mystery is solved and you were right ! They were only rumors, nobody's here. Let's go home now, I almost got scared. I'm sorry I brought you here with me for nothing.» he said while scratching the back of his head out of embarrassment.

« No Jin, you didn't. There is someone here, we definitely aren't alone. » answered Taehyung while crossing his arms, starting to think.

« Wh-What do you mean there's someone here ? » Jin answered as chills covered his entire body. 

« Well, it's obvious. First of all, why would this room be unlocked and still decorated when the drama club doesn't exist anymore ? 

And most importantly, mannequins fit in science classrooms, right ? 

That leads us to one conclusion : when we first came to this room, we didn't see the mannequins because they were hidden.

They were either hidden behind the curtains or someone moved them here .

And I think that someone wants to make us leave quickly. » Taehyung explained calmly.

« Then let's do them a favor and leave. » Jin said as he started pushing Taehyung outside of the classroom to be as quick as possible.

« Things just got exciting Jin, we can't leave. Let's at least find out who's here with us. » Tae answered still deep in his thoughts.

« Ok, how about we leave in 10 minutes then ?  » Jin pleaded. 

Taehyung faced him and nodded because he didn't want his friend to be scared even though he deeply wanted to catch the person who played with the mannequins. He then told Jin :

« Let's just check the room one more time to see if we can find anything. »

The whole school was silent as the two boys were looking at everything to find any clue. 

 

After the 10 minutes passed, they decided to finally leave the school.

Seokjin was really happy about going home when he was initially the one who wanted to come, whereas Taehyung really wanted to stay because he knew he could find at least a clue. He thought the situation was upsetting and couldn't focus on anything else but this mystery.

 

Just as they left the room, Taehyung quickly took a final glance at the curtains and the tables that were barely lit by the moon. When he finally turned around he managed to hear a noise growing louder and someone rushing towards him. He didn't even have time to look behind him before he got pushed to the ground. Jin didn't notice him at first and when he did, the mysterious person had already disappeared. 

« Are you okay ? » Jin asked, almost shouting.

His friend didn't even bother answering and began to run as soon as he got back on his feet. But his action was useless, he only managed to fall since he was still dizzy because he hurt his head while falling. 

Although he failed at chasing the person who bumped into him intentionally, he was absolutely not going to give up now.