Chapter I

Ascend to the Throne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene flipped through the magazine, looking for an article on stains. Recently, she'd been getting clumsier, spilling coffee on her pristine white sweater and then falling in the grass shortly after. The brown and green spots on her sweater were not looking very pretty, and she desperately needed a way to return her sweater to its original state. Anybody Home? was just the magazine to help.

"Hello there," a boy said cheerfully, picking up a newspaper. He flipped the paper open to a random page, not bothering to look at whatever it was he had flipped to. "You go to school at the... uh..."

"Yes, I do," Irene said with a curt nod. She returned her attention to her magazine only for the boy to keep talking to her.

"Ah, well, I go to school just across the road. Funny we've never talked." His sheepish smile did not charm Irene at all, and she really just wanted to figure out how to get rid of stains, so she just ignored him. He cleared his throat and tried again, smile still on his face. "I've seen you before, you know. I'm Bo Gum. What's your name?"

Irene gave him her best I-am-not-interested-go-away look as she answered, "Joohyun."

"Pretty name, Joohyun-"

"Irene!" Of course, Yeri had to come through and blow her cover. "You have to come quick. Seulgi's gotten into another fight!"

"Another?" Irene asks exasperatedly. That girl really needed to control her temper or blow off steam or something. Yeri took Irene by the hand, leading her away.

"I'll see you later, then!" Bo Gum called, waving. Yeri looked at Irene, who just rolled her eyes and looked back at Yeri with an expression that just dared Yeri to test her patience. Yeri, being the smart girl she was, decided not to.

Yeri led Irene down into the subway, pushing past the crowd of students that were yelling, "Fight! Fight!"

"Oh, Seulgi," Irene said to herself, shaking her head. She was going to kill that girl for her recklessness.

Seulgi's eyes met Irene's as two students picked the bear-like girl up and slammed her back against the wall, causing her to groan. Irene winced at the contact and was suddenly pushed out of the way, her jaw dropping open as Joy pounced and drove one boy into the ground, pummeling him right after with punch after punch. Seulgi kicked a foot out, hitting a groin, and threw a punch at the other offender. As the one girl went to put Seulgi in a headlock, Joy's fist made solid contact with her face, sending her to the ground. The one previously-pounced-on boy lay on the ground, holding his head, and Joy and Seulgi grappled with the other two standing attackers, grabbing at hair and ties when the tweet of a whistle grew louder.

The crowd scattered and an officer shooed students away, berating them. "What's there to look at, huh? Go on! No fighting here!" The four entangled people were thrown apart, and the officer gave them a stern gaze. "You hear me? No fighting!"

Seulgi and Joy at least had the decency to bow their heads.

"Why'd you fight, Seul?" Irene asked softly. She was tired of Seulgi ending every day with a new cut or bruise; the result of another day's fighting.

"He bumped me," Seulgi muttered.

"You fought because somebody bumped you?"

"No," Seulgi said. She quirked an eyebrow at Irene as if to question her intelligence and then continued, "He bumped me, and then wanted me to apologize. He wanted me to do it!"

"Seulgi, you can't just go around fighting people over every little thing. And you, Joy," Irene turned her attention to the girl who sat sulking on the other end of the bench, "can't go barging in to help!"

"It worked, didn't it? I beat him pretty good."

She wasn't wrong. A stretcher had to come in and take that poor, barely conscious boy away before he bled out on the floor.

Irene glanced at the ground. The blood hadn't been cleaned yet.

"It doesn't matter whether you 'beat him pretty good,' Sooyoung! You can't just go around fighting your way through life, both of you, and if you do, you'll just both end up hurt." Irene ran a finger over the cut on Seulgi's brow. "And I don't want to see either of you hurt, okay?"

"Can you keep the PDA to a minimum?" Yeri asked, earning a smack from Irene.

"Yah, Yerimmie! Shut your mouth!"

"She's right, though, unnie," complained Joy. She enjoyed seeing Irene flustered and frustrated, and she especially enjoyed stirring up trouble. It was too fun, and Irene was so easy to tease. "I'm too young for this."

"As if you haven't done anything, Joy," Irene retorted, ready to strangle the two younger girls with her bare hands. The only thing keeping her back was Seulgi's hands on her shoulders, calming her down.

"I'm not the one doing it with Seulgi in front of children." Joy lifted a hand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter