Prologue

Ascend to the Throne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy woke to the sound of an urgent voice and the less-than-gentle shaking of her shoulders.

"Wendy," hissed the voice, panic audible, "you need to wake up. Now."

"Eunji?" Wendy groggily rubbed at her eyes, trying to wipe the sleep away as she made out the general shape of her beloved friend since birth. It was way past midnight, with only a few hours until daylight, and Wendy didn't understand why her beauty sleep was being interrupted.

"There's no time." Eunji gave Wendy another shove, pushing the girl out of bed, and rushed her towards her bedroom door. "We need to leave before they come."

"Who? Who's coming?"

Eunji gripped Wendy's arm tightly and forced the girl to look her in the eye. "She birthed a son, Wendy. A son. You are no longer the heir to the throne. All you are is an obstacle, and the King will not cease to make sure you are gone. His son will be king, and you need to escape. Tonight."

Eunji wordlessly dragged Wendy down a flight of stairs and threw some clothes to her. Eunji had assumed the worst, prepared for this, and thank god she had. Wendy strapped on her light armor and attached her scabbard to her sword belt in a hurry, huffing as she ran through the halls after Eunji. The two exited into the courtyard, sneaking quickly through the night past the guards that would patrol until dawn. They reached an area where several horses grazed in case soldiers needed to ride off in an emergency; the barn was too far for such situations. Lucky for Wendy, but not so lucky for the scheming king who Eunji was sure had already sent guards to Wendy's chambers to carry out the brutal assassination.

"Listen to me, okay?" Eunji commanded Wendy's attention. This was a matter of life or death. "The stories... All of the stories of Narnia, the ones my grandfather told me... All of it is true, okay? Everything I told you about Old Narnia, of the Kings and Queens, of everything," Eunji exhaled hard," all of it is true." Eunji pointed towards the horses. "You need to ride far, Wendy. Straight for the woods, and don't stop. Don't look back-"

"Wait, Eunji-" This was all too much. One day, Wendy was the heir to the throne and then suddenly, she was to be killed. She was leaving everything behind. Everything. Eunji.

"They won't follow you into there," Eunji continued on, ignoring Wendy, "Too much of the Old Magic." Wendy was about to speak again when Eunji then said, "Oh! You must take this," Eunji handed Wendy an ivory white horn, which Wendy hung from her belt. "Blow this only when you are in most dire need of help, and help will come to you. Be careful."

Wendy grabbed the reins of the nearest horse and was about to jump into the saddle when she stopped and reac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter