Turning 25

The Girl In The Yellow Dress

The sun shine though her window. The ray of light touched her face, and she found herself slowly waking up. Reluctantly, she sat up on her bed. "Another day, another work..." she thought. She sat for a long time until she's fully awake. 

 

She stood up from her bed, and did her morning ritual - a bath, doing her hair and make up, and wearing her suit for work. She looked at herself at the mirror. "I'm 25 today..." she thought. It's her birthday, yes, and she wonders if her father even remembered. All she know is that he had been constantly reminding him about the case she's handling. She knew if she win the case, her father will entrust her with bigger cases in the future. "Today's the verdict. I wish we'll win today in court." she thought. She let out a smile as she made a thumbs up. "Diana Wang, you can do it. Jia You!" she told herself. 

 

She got out of her room, and went down to the dining room, where he found her father reading a newspaper. "Good morning dad." she greeted as she took her seat. Her father looked at her blankly. "By the way, I need the documents on my desk by this afternoon, OK?" her father said. Diana just nodded her head. "I'll have it finished today, dad." she answered. 

 

"Also about your case..." his dad said as he turned a page on the newspaper. "Today is the verdict, right? Make sure you'll win that case." he said. "I will dad. Don't worry." she said. 

 

She ate her breakfast silently, hoping her father would remember her birthday, but it seems she was wrong. All her father think of is work. "Well, maybe dad did remember but he had a surprise for me. Yeah, that must be it." she said as she sipped her coffee. 

 

After breakfast, she drove to the office. While stuck in traffic, she received a call from the law firm secretary, Lyla. "Happy Birthday, Attorney Wang!" Lyla greeted her. Diana let out a smile. "Thank you, Lyla. Hey, can you help check on my schedule today?" she asked. "That's why I called you. Your court hearing is at 9 AM. Are you on your way now?" 

"Yes, I am."

"Good. Then, there's a meeting at the office today regarding a case at 1 PM, and your mom called to book for an appointment with you at 4 PM"

 

Diana let out a laugh. "Aiyo, why would my  mom have to schedule an appointment with me? Anyway, I'll just call her. Anyway, can you help get all important documents for me for the Lin case? I'd like to study on it before I take it." Diana told the secretary. "I'm on it, Attorney Wang. See you in a bit!" Lyla said. "Thanks. See you!" Diana said before ending the call. 

 

Still stuck in traffic, Diana dialed her mom's number, and waited for her to answer it. After a few rings, her mother answered her call. "Hello, birthday girl!" her mom said. Diana let out a smile upon hearing her mom's cheerful voice. "Hello, birth giver! I was told you scheduled an appointment with me." Diana said. "I want to get an appointment with Attorney Wang, since I know she's swamped with work." her mom said. 

 

Diana let out a pout. "Mom! You know, you don't have to ask for an appointment with me. Just tell me when and where we will meet, and I'll be there."

"I can't help it. I'm used to having to schedule an appointment with my ex-husband."

"I'm not your ex-husband. I'm your lovely daughter, so no need to schedule an appointment with me."

"Then, 4 PM would be OK? At our favorite cafe?"

"4 PM will be fine, mom. I'll see you later then."

"Happy birthday, dear."

"Thank you, mom. Happy birthday too!"

 

As she ended the call the moment the traffic began to move. A few minutes later, she had reached her destination.

 

--

 

"Full custody will be granted to Ms. Ariel Lin." The judge said. Diana and her client, Ariel, looked at each other, and smiled. The two girls hugged each other, savoring their victory. "Thank you, Attorney Wang. Thank you for helping me..." Ariel said tearfully to the young lawyer. 

 

Diana looked at her, and smiled. "You deserve to have full custody of your children, Ms. Lin. I'm glad you won this case." she said. Ariel nodded her head. "This won't happen if not for your help." Ariel said. 

 

"Don't be too happy yet..." they heard the other camp said. Diana looked at the lawyer of Ariel's ex-husband, Aaron. He let out a smirk at her. "We can still appeal for the reversal of the decision." Aaron told her. Diana let out a smirk at her rival. "Then, we'll just wait for your appeal then, Attorney Yan." she told him. 

 

After the court trial, Diana head back to the office. Her day is filled with meetings, paper works, case review and client meetings. By the time it's 4 PM she head out of the office to meet her mother at their favorite coffee shop.  

 

"Hey, mom!" she greeted her as she walked up to him. Jane looked up at her daughter, and smiled. "Hello, Diana." she greeted. She kissed her mom on the cheek, and sat beside her. "Happy birthday, darling.  I have a gift for you." her mom said. 

 

Her mother handed her a gift bag. "Wow, thanks for the gift mom." she said. "So, what's your plan tonight? Anything special?" her mom asked. Diana shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. Dad hasn't said anything about it yet."

"He might have forgot about it. Again."

 

Diana let out a sigh. "Probably. Well, if he forgot, then I'll just stay home to work on my cases." Diana said. Jane let out a sigh. "Diana... don't spend all of your time working. You need to let lose. Relax! Enjoy! Go out and have fun with your friends today. It's your birthday, and you deserve it." her mom told her. 

 

Diana let out another sigh. "Dad is expecting a lot from  me. After all, I'm up for a senior position at the law firm. Aside from that, he's grooming me to be his successor..." she said. "Are you even sure you are going to be his successor? What if he give to that... what's the name of his favorite guy again?"

"Sean."

"Yeah, that Sean."

"I'm sure I will be his successor. Besides, I already worked hard for my position even without his help, right?"

"The problem with your father is that he lets you work so hard even without giving you any reward or even recognition."

 

Diana smiled at her worried mother. She held her hand to appease her. "Mom, I'm going to be fine. I'll work harder to please dad, and to exceed his expectations." she said. "But don't overwork yourself. If he did not give you that senior position after all your hard work, I will punch that ex-husband of mine." her mother said. Diana could only laugh at her mother. 

 

--

 

"What do you mean you're not giving me the senior position?!"

 

Diana asked her father the moment he announced that Sean will be getting the senior position instead of her. "You're still too young, Diana. You're still too inexperienced. Sean had been here longer than you. So, he deserve that position." her father said seriously. 

 

"But I worked hard all this time, dad!" she protested. "Diana, I don't want my associates to think that just because you're my daughter, I can easily give you that position. You need to work hard for it." her father said. She clenched her fist as she looked at her father with hurt in her eyes. "Am I not working hard for you?" she asked. "It's not enough." he said. 

 

Diana exhaled as she lowered her head. "Right... I'm never enough in your eyes anyway. I understand." she said in a low voice. She excused herself, and got out of his father's office. It hurts that her father decided to give the senior position to someone else, and it hurts the most that he did it on her birthday. "Do you even know it's my birthday today?" she thought. 

 

As she was walked back inside her office, her phone rang. She answered it, and she heard the voices of her two favorite persons in the world. "Happy birthday, Diana!" she heard Sylvia and Emily said on the other line. She let out a faint smile as she listened to them sing a birthday song for her. "Thank you, girls..." she said. 

 

"Hey, you know, we should celebrate today. Don't say no this time!" she heard Sylvia said. "Sylvia and I have plans for you tonight." Emily said. Diana let out a sigh. She saw the gift bag from her mom on her table. She walked to her table, and took it. "I can't. I have a lot of work today." she said. 

 

"Aiyo, Diana... it's your 25th birthday! You'll only be 25 onces. Let's go out tonight and party, all right?" Sylvia said. She opened the bag, and saw a yellow dress inside it. She paused for a while, and stared at it. When was the last time she had fun? Ever since she was young, she had been working hard for her grades. She had been working hard to be on top.  And this is all because she wants to be seen by her father. 

 

Any parent would be proud at the achievements she had. She graduated from college young. She was the top of her class. She even topped the bar exams. But it seems that no matter what she do, it will never be enough for her father. 

 

"You need to let lose. Relax! Enjoy! Go out and have fun with your friends today. It's your birthday, and you deserve it." she remember her mother told her a while ago. She listen as Sylvia and Emily told them their plans to celebrate her birthday. 

 

"This time, I should make myself happy, right?" she thought. Then, she let out a smile. "Let's go out tonight and party." she finally told her friends. She let out a smile as she listened to them shriek in happiness. 

 

--

 

"Have you read this news?" Brent said as he showed Wes his phone. Wes looked at the phone, and saw Wayne's picture with a girl. "Who is that?" Wes asked. Brent shrugged his shoulder. "I don't know. Maybe one of the girls in Wayne's new MV. You know how he is when he finds a cute girl, he'll do anything to date her." Brent said. 

 

Wes smiled and shook his head. "He never changed..." he said. "Do you think Wayne will even find a girl that make him settle down? You know, the one that will change his playboy ways?" Brent asked the older guy. Wes looked at him. "Maybe..." he said. "Maybe not..."