Chapter 3

The Art of Not Letting It Go - Annyeongz/2KIM
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 3

PART 1 - Minjoo

-8 months before-

"High School Musical play rehearsal"

Minjoo: "Do you remember in kindergarten how you'd meet a kid and know nothing about them, then 10 seconds later you're playing like you're best friends, because you didn't have to be anything but yourself?

Jisung: Yeah.

Minjoo: Singing with you felt like that.

Jisung: Well, uh... l never thought about singing, That's for sure, until I met you!

"Bravo!!!!" said the play producer. "That was beautiful Minjoo and Jisung. Let's stop here for today! Great job, great job everyone"

"Minjoo, you did so well today." She saw Jisung coming to her with a smile.

"Thank you Jisung! You too! Let's do even better tomorrow. We must practice 'Breaking Free' until it is perfect" replied Minjoo smiling back and then continuing with a bow.

"You are so polite Minjoo! But that is why we love you!" Jisung now had an even bigger smile. "I have no doubt the play will be a success"

"I hope so" replied Minjoo trying to sound confident.

Minjoo bowed to the rest of the cast before leaving the stage, all these people that became her friend in the past 2 months. At first she couldn't believe that Kriesha convinced her to do it. Minjoo loved acting and she has always dreamed of becoming an actress one day, people always praised her looks, saying she would do great in historical dramas and movies. But she was a very shy girl. She lacked inner confidence, she has always been like that. Kriesha was the only person Minjoo considered a true friend, the only person that she showed a more playful side. Other than that, she was very quiet, so the idea of playing Gabriella's role in the play was without a doubt overwhelming. Not only acting, but singing as well. Minjoo enjoyed going to Karaoke with her best friend, it was one of her favorite hobbies. A place she could let all her insecurities go away, a place she wasn't the shy Minjoo every one thought she was. Now she was singing in front of everyone, somehow Minjoo had matured. She was being more spontaneous, still there was something lacking. Even with Kriesha and the play Minjoo still felt lonely. There was a part of her missing.

"Minjoo, great job today! I know Gabriella's role is very demanding, but I am very proud of you. You came a long way, I can tell you are not the same girl that I met 2 months ago"

"Thank you so much sir. I will keep working hard!" Minjoo replied the producer with a bow.

"I believe in you very much Minjoo. I was waiting until next week to tell you this, but I feel like now it is the perfect moment. My brother that works with TvN dramas casting is looking for someone like you. They are looking for someone to play the young version of Ha Ji Won's character. I think you would be perfect for it. It is an amazing opportunity to start. He will be here to watch the play, who knows what can happen if you impress him?"

Minjoo's heart started to race in a way like she never felt before. People always say to never miss these opportunities when they come to you and the moment finally came. Her very first opportunity was just in front of her.

"I can't thank you enough sir. Thank you for believing in me. I won't let you down. I am so happy right now" Minjoo replied with a big smile.

"You are such a beautiful person Minjoo. Inside and out, if anyone deserves good things it is you. We need humble people like you in the business. Netizens will love you. You just have to be yourself. I will be rooting for you".

Minjoo said goodbye to him. One thousand things crossing her mind. She had to tell Kriesha all about it later. She helped her so much to get this far. She was more thankful than ever. "Kriesha deserves one hundred hugs when I see her later" Minjoo thought to herself laughing.

She calmly took a cab home, enjoying the beautiful place she lived from the backseat. Paying attention to every beautiful house and flowers from the window. "I really like living here".

The cab left Minjoo in front of her house, she paid the driver with a good tip and wished him a good evening. "Finally home!", Minjoo took off her shoes before entering the house. Her mom hearing the door opening came to greet her with a joyful face.

"Mom! You won't believe in what just happened" Minjoo hugged her mom tight while telling her the big news about the TvN opportunity and how unreal everything seemed to be.

"My beautiful daughter, you deserve it so much. You are the kindest person I know. I wish I could be half as kind as you are." Minjoo mom said while caressing her hair. "Look at you, I am the luckiest mother in the world to have a daughter like you. I want you to know no matter what happens one day you will achieve your dreams. You will be someone that brings happiness to millions of people"

Tears started to fall from Minjoo's eyes. That was exactly what she wanted to hear. She gave her mother a kiss and another hug.

"I am still so insecure mom. I still don't fully believe in myself"

"But that is more than normal Minjoo, you are just 16 years old. When you were 14 you only studied and barely left home. Now you are already going out with Kriesha and acting in a big musical play. Whatever you may think it is missing one day you will find it. I have no doubt of that. Maybe you want to date? My little girl is growing up too fast" Minjoo's mom said it in a playful voice, joking with her daughter.

Minjoo started to blush and suddenly lost her words:

"Mom!"

"I am just joking with you. What do you want for dinner? I will cook anything you ask"

"I want your amazing noodles mom! Thank you"

"I will prepare for you, go take a shower. You must be tired from the rehearsal"

Minjoo took a nice shower. She was indeed a bit tired from both studying and the play. But she was feeling happy and it would be hard to sleep early that night. Everything was going well and she had only reasons to remain optimistic.

She ate the noodles and thanked her mother. Gave her another kiss and then headed to the bedroom to finally call Kriesha.

"Unnie, when I see you be prepared for one hundred Minjoo hugs!!!"

Kriesha started to laugh loudly on the phone. She was the opposite of Minjoo, she was so outgoing and not shy at all. Maybe that is why they were best friends.

"Maybe I will want one thousand hugs? What happened? You sound happy!"

Minjoo told everything to Kriesha. The amazing rehearsals, the play producer's brother coming to watch the play, the TvN historical drama and how she may have a chance to act on it.

"My baby sister is growing! I feel like I may start to cry" Kriesha started to make crying baby sounds in the other side of the line.

"If I am a baby sister, you are a baby unnie" joked Minjoo.

"Minjoo! I am so proud! I always knew you were a star. I have no doubt you will be chosen"

"Thank you so much unnie, actually I am calling you to thank you for everything. I am only the Minjoo I am today thanks to you"

"You silly... You would become a star one day, even if you didn't meet me. And for your information I want the one hundred hugs you promised. Be prepared for some pinching too muahahaha"

"Is this supposed to make me scared? You still sound cute." Minjoo started to laugh again.

"I am the scariest unnie ever! Just wait and see. muahahaha"

Minjoo and Kriesha continued to talk for a few more minutes. About school, movies and music. She wished her friend goodnight and hang up the phone. She wasn't feeling sleepy yet. Even though the day was tiring the adrenaline of everything wouldn't let her sleep. She opened her Kakao Talk to check the messages in the play group. They were posting pictures and videos. She started to browse one by one until one of Jisung's messages caught her attention.

"Guys, there is a girl at our school posting k-pop covers on Youtube. Let's give our support. ART PEOPLE UNITED!!!!! Beside, she is very cute too! I think I am in love hahahaha"

"Jisung is such a kid". She thought to herself.

Minjoo noticed the cover video was of a song she loved. "Not Spring, Love, or Cherry Blossoms" by IU and High4. She used to listen to it all the time a few years ago and even sang with Kriesha on karaoke a few times. She opened the video to give her support, as Jisung said. Art people should indeed unite and support each other.

"Hello everyone. Kim Chaewon here! I am going to sing my favorite IU and spring song today. 'Not Spring, Love, or Cherry Blossoms', a beautiful song she recorded with High4. This song brings me such good memories so I hope I can give you good memories too. If I do please like and subscribe this video. I will feel very very very happy!"

Minjoo watched the entire video in ''awe". This beautiful girl sounded like an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter