- 다섯 -

ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇs ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜ
5
- not really goodbye, isn't it? -


- 6 years later -

 



Two men were seen getting out of the same car, both of them dressed in suits that made them handsomely dashing. It was in the early hours in the morning, where the sun had just begun to shine its light towards another new day. One of them looked down at the time while the other took a deep inhale, smelling the flowers that he held in his arms. The man holding the flowers carefully made his way up the hill, treading past the same path he had been on for the past couple of years. 

He had grown well these past few years - grown into a fine man. Although it took him time to heal his heart, accept her death and slowly learn how to love himself and others once again, he was finally confident enough to walk up to the very place he hated before with courage and calmness. He could finally face Jieun without only crying and saying sorry over and over again as he kneeled in front of her grave - he had learned to accept the truth with a heavy heart.

As he arrived in front of the gravestone, Mark smiled and muttered a small greeting. 

"Morning, Jieun. I got you those flowers that you like," he said and placed them on top of her grave. He knelt down, his eyes reading the name and carvings on the stone. His hand slowly traced the letters of her name before he took out a handkerchief and dusted away some of the dirt. 

"I look really good in a suit, don't I?" he joked, "I went out with Haechan to pick it out but it was way harder than I thought. Who knew how many different designs this thing can come in?"

Haechan continued to watch Mark converse from afar, he knew this was one of Mark's usual routines to do whenever he got nervous or just started to miss Jieun out of the blue. It reminded him of the time Mark ran out of their lesson right in the middle of it and no one could contact him until he showed up the next morning. He ended up confessing that he suddenly was reminded that it was Jieun's birthday and spent the whole time he was missing at her grave, talking to her about anything he could think of. Jieun was still part of his life even when she wasn't with him anymore - to him, she was never truly gone.

Mark goes quiet for a while before he continues on, "I never thought I'd find someone who would make me happy like you did but, Jieun, I did. She's an amazing person and if you were still here, you'd be best friends with her - I'm sure of that. You met her last time, remember? She comes by and gives her respects with me whenever I go here.

"Jieun, thank you for everything. Thank you so much for giving me the greatest kind of love I could have ever experienced, I'll cherish each moment we had together and I promise I'll take good care of my wife. We're even planning on naming one of our kids after you - it was her idea, you know? Maybe not 'Jieun' but you know how I always liked the meaning of 'Eun' - kindness. I want my kids to grow up to become someone admirable, someone kind, just like you, Jieun."

Tears start to form in his eyes but it's not from sadness but rather for gratefulness.

"Thank you for giving me another chance to love someone again," he whispers, his voice heard only by himself. "But I'll never stop loving you, Jieun. You were and always will be my first love and my soulmate. Thank you for giving me another chance to be happy." He sniffs as a single tear drops from his eye and he quickly wipes it with the back of his sleeve.

"You alright there, buddy?" Haechan asked before he looked down at his watch, "We should probably get going."

Mark placed his hand on the headstone, seeing how it had become a little dirty from the years it had endured. The carnations he left on the grave were still fresh - Jieun would have loved them.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he sighed, standing up and dusting his pants. "We should get going, we don't want to be late for my own wedding," he smiles as Haechan starts walking down towards the exit.

As Mark starts walking down, a gust of wind blows in his face and for a second it was almost as if he heard his name being carried by the winds.

"Minhyung!"

His head turns around, looking in the direction of which the sound came from. There was no one there except for the two of them. He was about to start walking back up just to make sure but Haechan's voice calling him made him drop his decision and instead, resumed his way down. However, just as he turned back to Haechan - the corner of his eyes saw a faint figure, causing him to whip his head back.

He was about to think the wind was playing tricks on him until he saw a familiar figure just at the place he was at seconds ago. 

Near where Jieun rested was the transparent figure of a 10-year-old Jieun waving at him with a bright smile on her face. His mouth was wide open in shock, he couldn't believe he was seeing Jieun with his own two eyes - a sight he never thought he'd see ever again. But there she was - 10 years old with her signature twin-tails hairstyle with pink scrunchies. Her small hands waved at him and he could see that she was wearing a backpack with how the blue straps popped out against her white shirt.

She cupped her hands together, placing them near as her words were carried to his ears by the wind - only for his ears. 

"Be happy, alright?"

As much as he wanted to, he didn't chase after her - he knew he couldn't. He had to learn to let go of Jieun, to let the past be the past and to learn how to keep moving forward, one step at a time. It was time for him to let go of Jieun.

So, he continued to stand at his spot and gave her a nod. The child smiled and nodded her head in approval - he would be fine, she was sure of it.

Mark would be fine without her. 

Another gust of wind hits him and it causes him to close his eyes. When he opens them, Jieun is no longer there but his smile was still on his face. So, he turns around and starts heading down towards the car - starts heading down towards a new path with a lighter heart.

He would move slowly forward.

He would continue to live on while keeping Jieun alive in his memories.

He would continue to live for both of them.

 

 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

time skip and yes, mark did end up marrying another girl. I'd like to think that even with Jieun gone, Mark still found happiness - but that doesn't mean he forgot her. She's still with him, in memory, and he still loves her very much and he knows that Jieun would want more than anything is for him to be happy.

That wraps up Memories of You!
Sorry this took so long but I got superb busy and I hope you all still enjoyed it although it may have hurted the feels,,

Please continue to look forward to future works I have in store ;)